Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4,200 miles on a 2002 T100

At 2,600 miles the chain falls off and I bend 3 valves. Happened after I hit a nasty bump. $900 to rebuild top end.

4,200 miles the "anti-slap back" gear looses two teeth. Again, down hard. Italian mechanic (I live in Italy now, US NAVY) charges 230 euro to repair and 75 euro for the part. Not bad by these standards.

The question is WHY? Few miles, babied baby, oil changed twice since I've had it. Any ideas?

Wife is going to kill me please help.
JG

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
You're saying that following hitting a pothole the cam chain has jumped off the sprocket once, and the second time it broke the backlash gear?.

If so that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Perhaps the chain tensioner was never re-set properly following a top-end repair from the start. Something happened to that engine before you got it.

There's a procedure for re-setting the tensioner and the anti-backlash gears but if someone without a service manual did the work it's possible to cock it up.

There are many macho mechanics here in Mediterranean countries that think they can carry out repairs and overhauls without the benefit of a service manual...manuals are for poofs, right?.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forchetto, I bought this second hand 1,800 miles in the states. The first rebuild was after the bump in the states. I have both the official service manual and the Haynes manual. This second repair was in Italy after an easy commute to work. Got through the gate and loud tapping from the right side cover. I gave the enlish manual to my Italian mechanic. He has a real shop with store. He is the guy that local rice burner riders use. Not sure what it is. I'll have to double check with him about the chain tensioner. Could be a loose or worn out Left-Handed Flatulater. Who knows. Thanks for the reply.
JG

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
True. Same for torque wrenches.:)
:laughhard There are 3 videos on YouTube depicting all the manufacturing and assembly operations at the old Triumph Meriden works in their heyday.

Lots of brown-coated Midland chaps wielding spanners, mallets, etc and not any white cotton gloves, safety glasses or torque spanners to be seen anywhere. They were men in them days...:)

Search Youtube for:

Triumph Motorcycles Factory film Pt1, 2 and 3

·
Registered
246 Posts
:laughhard There are 3 videos on YouTube depicting all the manufacturing and assembly operations at the old Triumph Meriden works in their heyday.

Lots of brown-coated Midland chaps wielding spanners, mallets, etc and not any white cotton gloves, safety glasses or torque spanners to be seen anywhere. They were men in them days...:)

Search Youtube for:

Triumph Motorcycles Factory film Pt1, 2 and 3
haha... I saw this video at school. gotta love the wheel truing portion. those guys are f ing fast. I'm sure it's sped up a little but still.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
thats some strange stuff .The chain should never come off .The back lash gears dont do much I dont see how they could loose teeth.You can run with out the back lash gears they just cut down on gear noise alittle.Sure sounds like someone working on the bike ether is feeding you bs or they dont know what they are doing.Ether way I feel for you man.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the broken piece.

thats some strange stuff .The chain should never come off .The back lash gears dont do much I dont see how they could loose teeth.You can run with out the back lash gears they just cut down on gear noise alittle.Sure sounds like someone working on the bike ether is feeding you bs or they dont know what they are doing.Ether way I feel for you man.

It is weird. I kept the broken piece. I will scan and upload after work.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You're saying that following hitting a pothole the cam chain has jumped off the sprocket once, and the second time it broke the backlash gear?.

If so that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Perhaps the chain tensioner was never re-set properly following a top-end repair from the start. Something happened to that engine before you got it.

There's a procedure for re-setting the tensioner and the anti-backlash gears but if someone without a service manual did the work it's possible to cock it up.

There are many macho mechanics here in Mediterranean countries that think they can carry out repairs and overhauls without the benefit of a service manual...manuals are for poofs, right?.:D
It sounds like the Twilight Zone over here; I've never heard such BS in all of my life.

Probably more to the liking of the original guy was beating the piss out of it and possibly floated three valves at 10G r's to prove something to someone.

In either case, if I were the OP, I'd buy a manual...read and follow directions...ask for clarification on here, if needed, and fix it right.

There are plenty of mech's in the Navy that would help and loan you some tools (onsight) and for most-likely a small price of some food and drink over there for their time.

She's your girl, take charge and get down to business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.