Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a weak attempt at a search to see if anyone else had posted this up, but got bored after searching and figured I'd post up anyway.

At around the 15k mark, I started noticing a bit more mushiness in the shock, and though I had it set on "hard", I had to add a turn or 2 to get a bit of the stiffness back. Unfortunately, as time went on, I noticed it was still slowly getting mushier. After a long weekend through some hard riding in vermont, I noticed I had bottomed out against my license plate, and figured it was time to talk to the dealer. At 20k miles, the shock shouldn't be failing, plain and simple.

After running it over to the dealer, he found a servie bulletin warning of possible shock failures, and a possible problem with the lines connecting the resevoir to the shock. 2 weeks later, they warrantied my shock and away I go.

I have an early vin triple, and apparently the later 05 vins were not listed under the service bulletin.

If you notice any sloppiness in the shock, run it in, you might be in line for a new shock.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
I haven't heard of that one crudmop, thanks for the info man! Might have mine checked out. So got any long trips planned this year? :wink: :-D

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
So what was the problem with your shock? The line leaked and as the shock de-pressurized it stopped damping altogether?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope - I saw no leaks around the shock or resevoir, and the shock held pressure throughout riding. I've had a Sachs go south on me mid ride on my Falco, and I didn't get any of the telltale bouncing of a shock that has no nitrogen left :)

It started feeling a bit mushy, and wallowed around in the corners more than it should have. Under hard riding, it was apparently failing under heat.

I am not sure what the bulletin said, as I never saw it - my dealer is in the middle of rebuilding and the place is a mess, so he wasn't in a position to pull out the paperwork.

[ This message was edited by: crudmop on 2006-12-15 14:01 ]

·
Registered
Joh Bloor Special
1,408 Posts
Hey Crud, how you doin'? Good to see you back.

I've got an early Vin 05. I'll check with the dealer. Going in for my 20,000k service just after Christmas. Good thing we have the 2 year warranty.

As Cheap asked, have you done any more long trips. We'd all like to hear about it. Make a nice change from all the meaningless drivel from the post ho's around this site. :-D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy, Leggy! Yeah, I've been a bit absent from this board, as some of the posts can get a bit, shall we say, ugh!ish :)

Unfortunately, no real trips this year - ran down to the Gap once, a few trips to WV, and a handful up to VT/NH. We have a 5yr old, and just couldn't get a lot of time away this summer. A friend came in from the UK for 2 weeks, which pretty much killed the window for the trip up to PEI, so we didn't get to go anywhere. Alas.

How about you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts