Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally sunny, so I took some pics of the Thruxton today. Last summer I traded an old dirtbike for a wrecked 2002 America, sold the good America parts and started over with a 2004 Thruxton frame that I found online. My buddy welded up the front motor mount castings that were broken in the wreck, and that's where the fun began.

BEFORE


AFTER


So here it is after six months. The wiring harness was the most challenging part of the project, since everything on the America mounts up in a different spot. The fenders are from a CB450, the taillight is vintage LUCAS, mufflers are vintage MCM cocktail shakers, the motor brackets, keyswitch bracket and exhaust hangers are all homemade, and the gauge cups are mag wheel caps from NAPA. A lot of drill bits and grinding wheels gave their all for this project.













Thanks to the Triumphrat.net. I bought and sold parts in the classifieds and got a lot of helpful input and inspiration. Total cost of the project including the dirtbike: $2500.


[ This message was edited by: JEB on 2007-04-15 14:20 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Way cool ameri-ton! Truly one of a kind bike at an amazing price, but I'm sure you've put your time into it. Did you happen to get those cocktail shakers off of ebay? I used to have a set like that on my thruxton and sold them last fall. They were LOUD!

I especially like the rear fender - any closeups of the mounting? I've been thinking of something along those lines for mine. I like the look of no fender, but I end up getting caught in the rain too much, plus fenders come in handy when you accidentally ride through horse sheet - courtesy of the horse-drawn Amish buggies on the back roads around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Wow, that's a scream. Wild how the America's front end is sheared off. Kudos on an outstanding job of bring the bike back to life.

Two things I'd do... take 'em for what their worth. 1) swap-out the America primary cover for a std/T100/Thrux version along with the shorter shifter rod. And 2) saw-off the flared bell-mouth on each muffler to give them a BSA Goldstar look.

/Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
:clap: :chug: :bow: :drool: :cool: :cool: :wow: :upthumb:

Okay, that does it for the smileys.

Simply put, what a fantastic job. I am continually amazed by the people here and the passion, work and imagination they put into their bikes.

Bravo, JEB, bravo. I'm gobsmacked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
On 2007-04-16 14:08, markbvt wrote:
Wow. That is truly impressive. I'm amazed you were able to keep the price so low.

--mark
Well, yeah, but think how much it would be if he charged himself labor. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HEY, thanks for the kind words, everyone! Sweat, Jorgen, SCCTrim, and a bunch of others on here have helped me out with parts and knowledge and the guts to dig in and do this.

05 Truxter, I'll get you some close-up pics of the rear fender mounting. The hardest part was cutting out the guts of the old fender and finding a way to mount the reg/rec up there.

77 T140V, I'm going to title it with the original TBA neck and paperwork, so technically, it's not a Thruxton. :wink:

Panthermark, the rider broke his hip, arm, pelvis, wrist, but he's walking around, skateboarding and riding that dirt bike with no problem.

Xardoz, it's a good thing I enjoy this stuff. If I had to pay myself by the hour, I would go broke one way or another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update to show off the new paint. I saw this car and really liked the paint,



so I found a dented tank and seat cowl on EBAY, and my buddy Eric painted them during the summer.







Still haven't decided whether to run old garden gate badges, or get a lettering guy to paint a logo.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top