Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Bike (2007 Speedmaster) is just shy of the 24k mark. The 24k is basically the 12k all over again. Seems like the biggest thing would be the valve clearances. It's been two years since I got her and she's been ridden in everything besides snow and hail. So I'm also gonna bleed the brakes. My chain is cooked, so I'll be replacing that as well. Cam cover gasket has developed a leak. Gonna try and get that replaced under warranty. I think fork oil and steering head bearings fall into it too. I've got the full on air box removal kit, so the pods will have to be cleaned and re-oiled. New plugs will be put in. I've read that one 12K service thread regarding mostly the valve adjustments. Great info. I've looked at the Triumph Service checklist. I've got a pretty good idea of it all. Dealerships around here have quoted just under a grand for the service - :eek: F#[email protected] that.

Here are my questions and concerns:

1) Should I also regrease the steering head bearings? Steering feels fine, not notchy, turns in just fine. Obviously wouldn't hurt, but I've never done it before (good learning experience!), but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2) For the replacement of the chain, I saw a DID kit that comes with front and rear sprockets (steel = good) and a new chain (o or X ring, can't remember which) for 180. Not bad considering its 200+ for a OEM one. Any other recommendations? Should I replace the sprockets too? There is some wear on them, but not huge. I need to take a closer look. I think 2-3 mm is the limit. I'll have to check the manual. In any case, I haven't really found a whole lot of replacement parts for this other then OEM.

3) Can anyone confirm the usage of a bolt to hold the anti-backlash gear in place? Don't wanna fork over the money for the Triumph tool or make one for that matter. (assuming I need to adjust the clearances)

4) Er...I think that's it. I feel like I'm missing something. Well, if any of you can think of anything, lemme know. Thanks!

Anyone have a manual I can borrow (Haynes or Triumph)? I've managed to get by without one for this bike. She's been super reliable. I bought one of those pre-paid maintenance plans when I got her so I didn't really have a need for it. It's usually the first thing I pick up when I buy a bike, but just never did with this one. Don't want to buy one, cause I plan on selling her after the service. Wanna get her all nice and prepped for a buyer. It's been a great relationship, but I'm moving on to sportier things.

Located in Berkeley, CA.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

1) Should I also regrease the steering head bearings? .
2) . Should I replace the sprockets too? .

3) Can anyone confirm the usage of a bolt to hold the anti-backlash gear in place? .
4) Er...I think that's it. I feel like I'm missing something. Well, if any of you can think of anything, lemme know. Thanks!
1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes - gotta hold them.
4 Find a source for shims in case you need to adjust valves
5 Buy a manual :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet!

Anyone know of any good sprocket + chain kits? It seems they're pretty sparse for the Speedmaster. I definitely want steel as she ain't no sportbike. DID is the OEM, so I'll probably end up just doing that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts