Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to visit a local dealer yesterday and asked about the cost of a 20K mile service that would include checking the valve clearances and swapping out any shims if necessary. The dealer told me the service interval is 24K for my bike and would cost about $1200. While this seemed hard to swallow, my owner's manual said the interval should be 20K mile. Anyone have this work done recently at a Triumph dealer - cost??? recommended mileage??? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2020 t120
421 Posts
I asked about this last Sat. The dealer I talked to said about 8-9 hundred $.
Checking and adjusting valves only was 500$.
Theres not much to the 20k service besides the valve check.
I thought it would be less downtime if the dealer did the valves, cause they have the shims or should.
Il probably just check them myself, order shims if necessary. I couldnt find a kit that has the shims, so its hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Service on the liquid cooled bikes is so easy, no cam removal which is the costliest to perform. The dealers charge twice as much for oil and filter just in spares. The brake bleed can be done research videos.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Service on the liquid cooled bikes is so easy, no cam removal which is the costliest to perform. The dealers charge twice as much for oil and filter just in spares. The brake bleed can be done research videos.
Thanks I'll dig into that further.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I’ve just done a shim check on one of my other bikes which gave the benefit of allowing it to fully cool overnight. Two were tight, none were loose. All the rest were ’in spec’ although all had different gaps. After playing dominoes with the shims for about 2 hours I ended up with four identical exhaust clearances, and paired inlet clearances; 0.0065” & 0.006” on one side 0.006” & 0.0065” on the other. Only needed to purchase one shim 😁 Bike seems to be running smoother than ever.
My thoughts are a dealer would have just swapped out the two tight shims as the rest were still within spec.

I‘ll definitely be doing the Speed Twin myself, I intend to check the shims early at 10,000 miles over winter just to take some measurements so I know which way the clearances change, and swap any if required!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts