Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Speed Twin, '15 D675R
436 Posts
Cant wait to hear a ride review after all your work is complete D.

You get what you pay for haha. Im hoping after a spring change to suit my weight I can get the front/rear balanced out and have it be "good enough". Im not Rossi or Marquez and Ive got my daytona set up nicely, i just want this one to not dive so much under braking and not bottom out mid corner if there's bumps in the road.

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '17 Thruxton R, '22 Tiger Sport 660, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
23,414 Posts
What sort of suspension tweaks have been done to the John Deer? Showa BPF? Ohlins? Andreani cartridges?

·
Registered
3 Posts
First thing I did was to see if the Thruxton and Speed Twin wheels would swap, as they did on prior years.

They don't :-( brake spacing and wheel spacers all off. So you can't just swap wheels with a Thruxton anymore.

Thruxton too narrow, (would need bigger spacers) so that sucks. That means you can't just swap in Showa BPF forks from a Thruxton R/RS. that is, unless you change your wheels.
@TheDivaDanielle Great insight, thumbs up from Norway 👍🏼

I'm planning on upgrading my '22 speed twin with spoked wheels, and one of my initial ideas was to go for a set of used thruxton R wheels - but I'm not so sure when reading your experience.

Would a thruxton R wheel set fit the ST22 if the brake discs, spacers from the ST22 etc was mounted to the thruxton wheel set?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@TheDivaDanielle I think your post is the answer to my question! 🙂

The Marzocchi suspension on my Speed Twin 22 is really lacking compared to my other bikes. I am considering swapping the Marzocchi with a set of Showa from the Thruxton RS 22. As best I can determine they seem like a perfect fit?

The lack of part numbers makes it really hard to figure out if the spacers and other bits line up...

If I read you comments correctly I should be able to just order the forks (e.g. T2041607 and T2041608 from the RS 2020), swap the tubes, and all the other bits should line up (minus maybe some modifications for the fender)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
@TheDivaDanielle I think your post is the answer to my question! 🙂

The Marzocchi suspension on my Speed Twin 22 is really lacking compared to my other bikes. I am considering swapping the Marzocchi with a set of Showa from the Thruxton RS 22. As best I can determine they seem like a perfect fit?

The lack of part numbers makes it really hard to figure out if the spacers and other bits line up...

If I read you comments correctly I should be able to just order the forks (e.g. T2041607 and T2041608 from the RS 2020), swap the tubes, and all the other bits should line up (minus maybe some modifications for the fender)?
From what I understand the OEM wheels of 2022 speed twin won't fit the BPF fork of thruxton r/rs.
I was trying to do something similar: I want to use the new speed twin wheels on my thruxton rs. Maybe modifying the wheels a bit it might fit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have related goals, maybe we can help each other out? :)

Thruxton 1200

Speed Twin

Speed TwinThruxton 1200
spindle T2000700T2000700
spacerT2000227T2000227
sealT3600703T3600703
bearing ballT3800702T3800702
spacer wheelT2003511T2003511
circlipT3500401T3500401
sealT3600703T3600703
spacerT2000227T2000227

From what I can tell, most of the parts appear to be same down to the spacer and circlip. Where I think the problem might occur is the position of the brake rotors and abs ring? I took pictures at the dealer and the spacing does seem different between the two models. If that is the case, although the abs sensor position could be adjusted, the rotors would be a major problem.

Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Rim

Automotive tire Bicycle part Sewing machine Rim Automotive design

I recall a post where the guy had to machine his rims to make the discs fit some Ohlins forks he salvaged from a Ducati.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have related goals, maybe we can help each other out? :)

Thruxton 1200

Speed Twin

Speed TwinThruxton 1200
spindleT2000700T2000700
spacerT2000227T2000227
sealT3600703T3600703
spacer wheelT2003511T2003511
circlipT3500401T3500401
sealT3600703T3600703
spacerT2000227T2000227

From what I can tell, most of the parts appear to be same down to the spacer and circlip. Where I think the problem might occur is the position of the brake rotors and abs ring? I took pictures at the dealer and the spacing does seem different between the two models. If that is the case, although the abs sensor position could be adjusted, the rotors would be a major problem.

View attachment 782839

View attachment 782840

I recall a post where the guy had to machine his rims to make the discs fit some Ohlins forks he salvaged from a Ducati.
Thanks for the research @SeeLee ! The link you shared is actually for the wheel of older speed twin (before 2021 with telescopic fork) and they are interchangeable with thruxton. I had a hard time finding the part diagram for the newer speed twin wheels :-(
I think if we want to fit the wheels to the BPF fork we also need to machine the wheel hub to align the ABS ring and rotor.
I can measure the distance between two front rotors if you want! Then we can decide how much we need to machine the wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a hard time finding the part diagram for the newer speed twin wheels :-(
Tell me about it... I can’t find part numbers for anything after 2022. I subscribed to their technical site and there are no part numbers listed at all. I can get part numbers for my other bikes (Kawasaki, Honda, Aprilia), but Triumph is a complete void. Even the dealer is giving me the runaround saying they can’t provide part numbers…

Looking at the service manual you really can’t tell much… the diagrams look exactly like the earlier models.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle
Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Circle Auto part
Font Body jewelry Circle Jewellery Auto part

I think if we want to fit the wheels to the BPF fork we also need to machine the wheel hub to align the ABS ring and rotor.
Yeah, I think so too. Here is the link to the guy who fit the Ohlins on his bike. Mind you he’s using the spoked wheels, it still gives an idea of the surfaces that will probably need adjustment.

Home appliance Audio equipment Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas
Rectangle Gas Font Machine Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Circle Cylinder

(Images credited to user Lessaints from thetriumphforum.com)

I can measure the distance between two front rotors if you want! Then we can decide how much we need to machine the wheel.
Sounds like a plan!
The tricky part will be figuring out how much to adjust, then making said adjustment. If we are off by too much it won’t fit, if we are off by a little we could end up with the pads contacting the rotors unevenly… 😬

I am wondering if there aren’t aftermarket rims for the Thruxton that would make this a lot easier. So far I haven’t had any success finding any.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
That seems to match the pictures in message #9 where we see most of the spacer on the ST but only part of it on the Thruxton. So adding about 4mm spacers to the disks on each side?

Since you need to buy wheels regardless you might want to just get aftermarket wheels and not have to do any experimental adjustment. As for me, it looks like shocks and aftermarket wheels is probably going to be my route. Bummer. My project just went from 1500 to 4000$… 😭

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tell me about it... I can’t find part numbers for anything after 2022. I subscribed to their technical site and there are no part numbers listed at all. I can get part numbers for my other bikes (Kawasaki, Honda, Aprilia), but Triumph is a complete void. Even the dealer is giving me the runaround saying they can’t provide part numbers…

Looking at the service manual you really can’t tell much… the diagrams look exactly like the earlier models.

View attachment 782865 View attachment 782862 View attachment 782863

Yeah, I think so too. Here is the link to the guy who fit the Ohlins on his bike. Mind you he’s using the spoked wheels, it still gives an idea of the surfaces that will probably need adjustment.

View attachment 782869 View attachment 782870 View attachment 782871
(Images credited to user Lessaints from thetriumphforum.com)

Sounds like a plan!
The tricky part will be figuring out how much to adjust, then making said adjustment. If we are off by too much it won’t fit, if we are off by a little we could end up with the pads contacting the rotors unevenly… 😬

I am wondering if there aren’t aftermarket rims for the Thruxton that would make this a lot easier. So far I haven’t had any success finding any.
After reading the thread you shared I noticed that the Ohlins fork that guy has is the same with the fork from 2018 Speed Triple RS.
That seems to match the pictures in message #9 where we see most of the spacer on the ST but only part of it on the Thruxton. So adding about 4mm spacers to the disks on each side?

Since you need to buy wheels regardless you might want to just get aftermarket wheels and not have to do any experimental adjustment. As for me, it looks like shocks and aftermarket wheels is probably going to be my route. Bummer. My project just went from 1500 to 4000$… 😭
Well you can try to find a used ohlins fork from 2018 speed triple RS... That might be a bit cheaper than a new set :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you happen to have the part number for those Ohlins NIX30’s?
I’ve been researching and I think the Ohlins from the newer Speed Triple might work, but Triumph has made finding part numbers and getting engineering data a real f…..g pain.

I think a front wheel replacement is also necessary to get the brakes lined up properly. The BST carbon fiber wheels look like good candidates, but we’re now talking serious money for the forks and wheels. I am trying to find someone who can confirm the setup will work before dropping 8K in parts…. 😅

1 - 20 of 34 Posts