Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
... but trying to keep up with my lads V4 Tuono Factory on the Scottish Highlands NC500 bumps really showed the Aprilia to have a far better setup despite it being fitted with almost identical Ohlins suspension components. For the same reason (and the lack of luggage rack options) I'm still undecided about trading up to a 1200RS, more likely getting softer ohlins springs fitted.
Givi has luggage for the Speed Triple 1200 RS today. Hepco and Becker has some that is projected to be available in late February with USA availability in late March or early April. Others from the EU are in work but, it is too early for them to provide details or projected availability dates.

Regarding suspension, the Ohlins as setup from the "factory" is indeed racetrack firm and was a bit harsh on bad roads around the Texas Motor Speedway. That suspension setup however, can be softened up a lot. Whether it will be plush for speed humps and pot holes without and hardware changes is TBD. The current Ohlins setup can be tweaked a lot by good suspension shops if you find the factory adjustment range isn't enough.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sidpost, good to hear other manufacturers are finally providing luggage for the Speed Triple 1200 RS.
I have a SW-Motech rack on my 94R, so think SW Motech are likely to produce one for the RS, just so i have the option to throw a box on with a tail pack & tank bag for those longer trips abroad, where i can put in a few laps on a stopover in Adenau :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Red Baron, Good post :)
I'm currently running PR4's on my 1050 94R & 1050 TigerSE I often run lower pressures in summer & on track, ironically the 1050 Tiger was also oversprung from new, Triumph actually picked up on this & changed the spring rates a couple of times on 1050's !
I couldnt get hold of a Maxton shock at the time I had it stripped, so got my stock shock rebuilt & recharged by KAIS in Manchester with a softer Hyperpro rear spring. My Tiger glides over some of the bumpy roads that I still get a size 10 kick up my rear from on the 94R Hence me thinking the same route on 94R & after some of the comments I've read I was under the impression the RS was similarly set up? .

·
Registered
102 Posts
The new Speed Triple 1200 RS is not going to be anywhere close to plush on a rough road. It is really set up more for a track day on a racetrack than it is for puttering around country lanes on a sunny afternoon.

On my short demo ride, the 75MPH Interstate run was firm with a bit of road "buzz". On the slower urban roads, it really lacked much compliance for crossing railroad tracks, tar snakes (tar applied to cracks in the asphalt), and transitions between different road surfaces.

This isn't meant to be overly critical but, more of my personal thoughts regarding the factory suspension settings. The suspension is good but, honestly, I think it is set up for magazine reviewers to take it on a racetrack. Any private citizen who is going to do a track day or "race" it should be fully capable of adjusting the suspension for their off-public road uses. Taking the "edge" off the factory settings would go a long way to making it more palatable to people who don't own race leathers and do track days.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts