Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

Picked up a 2022 a month ago. Sold a 2007 Speed Triple to accommodate the new bike purchase. Some initial impressions are - and I have owned the t595, 955, two 1050's and now this one.

I have fitted the racefit exhaust in order give the bike some, any exhaust note character- as the OEM silencer sounds like a sewing machine. For a "hooligan bike" that was #1. The racefit I got was the "growler", which is the extended lip on the can plus I got the "wrapped" baffle. Without the baffle- the bike was uncivilly loud. With the wrapped baffle- it sounded neutered. OK sound level but flat and like a smaller bike sound. Remove the wrapping and just insert the baffle- all is well. Sound level slightly louder that the OEM Arrow (low pipe) on my last 1050 with the insert in the exhaust cut out. Baritone without being too loud.

The nannies on this bike are - accepting for the times we live in - a bit overbearing. Want to wheelie? This is a "hooligan bike" but to do that you have to disable the quick shifter- otherwise the delay while your front wheel is in the air shifting up a gear drops the front wheel down with the engine cut- out, and you need to disable "traction control" which throws the TC and yellow triangle light on the dash- to remind you you are being naughty while doing whatever this bike was ever designed for. I have newish Aprilia Tuono (2018) that keeps the settings and throws no dash error messages when you cycle the ignition. This bike requires you to "validate" through the dash and joystick every time you want to be in track mode or want to wheelie- every time you start the bike and you are not able to change without stopping the bike.

The bike is incredibly lightweight- feels like my 600 race bike pushing it around the garage- especially pushing it around the garage- without the OEM exhaust (25-30 pounds?).

The last bit to share is the suspension. WOW. I have tried and have reached a stalemate with this bike for suspension settings that - over "smallish bumpy roads" don't jar your spine. Painfully so. I get the big HP and track focus- but the suspension is/ was designed for a purpose for this bike that is not what the previous generation/ iterations of Speed Triples were designed for. They were firm, if not completely compliant- this 1200 is insanely over sprung and over damped.

I enjoy the look and the power, I wish the "global supply chain" issues would let the aftermarket catch up with need for more selection of parts- OEM pillion seat, exhaust choices, dealertool.com support, etc.

Love the bike. Probably should not have sold the 07 though :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Nice review ds, and because you've had earlier triples, both 955 and 1050, very relatable. The suspension offers a huge range of adjustability so I'm sure you'll find the settings you prefer after some experimentation, be a shame to condemn the bike too quickly.

A couple of years ago I got swept in up the hype and bought a KTM 1290 Super Duke. Awesome bike but the electronics whilst impressive, sometimes left me at a loss as to "why do I need all this stuff?". Like you I've had a selection of Hinckley Triumphs, 955i Daytona, 675 Street Triple, Tiger 1050 and my current 2006 1050 Speed Triple. You'll notice I said 'current' 2006 1050 Speed Triple. Yes, I sold the KTM and still have the '06 Speedy. It's getting a bit tired now with over 70,000kms on the odo but it still does everything I need so I can relate to you wondering whether or not you should've kept your '07.

I am secretly a little envious of your Speed Triple 1200 RS though. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello-

Picked up a 2022 a month ago. Sold a 2007 Speed Triple to accommodate the new bike purchase. Some initial impressions are - and I have owned the t595, 955, two 1050's and now this one.

I have fitted the racefit exhaust in order give the bike some, any exhaust note character- as the OEM silencer sounds like a sewing machine. For a "hooligan bike" that was #1. The racefit I got was the "growler", which is the extended lip on the can plus I got the "wrapped" baffle. Without the baffle- the bike was uncivilly loud. With the wrapped baffle- it sounded neutered. OK sound level but flat and like a smaller bike sound. Remove the wrapping and just insert the baffle- all is well. Sound level slightly louder that the OEM Arrow (low pipe) on my last 1050 with the insert in the exhaust cut out. Baritone without being too loud.

The nannies on this bike are - accepting for the times we live in - a bit overbearing. Want to wheelie? This is a "hooligan bike" but to do that you have to disable the quick shifter- otherwise the delay while your front wheel is in the air shifting up a gear drops the front wheel down with the engine cut- out, and you need to disable "traction control" which throws the TC and yellow triangle light on the dash- to remind you you are being naughty while doing whatever this bike was ever designed for. I have newish Aprilia Tuono (2018) that keeps the settings and throws no dash error messages when you cycle the ignition. This bike requires you to "validate" through the dash and joystick every time you want to be in track mode or want to wheelie- every time you start the bike and you are not able to change without stopping the bike.

La bicicleta es increíblemente liviana, se siente como mi bicicleta de carreras 600 empujándola por el garaje, especialmente empujándola por el garaje, sin el escape OEM (¿25-30 libras?).

Lo último para compartir es la suspensión. GUAU. Lo he intentado y he llegado a un punto muerto con esta bicicleta para los ajustes de suspensión que, en "carreteras con baches pequeños", no te sacuden la columna vertebral. Dolorosamente así. Obtengo el gran HP y el enfoque en la pista, pero la suspensión está / fue diseñada para un propósito para esta bicicleta que no es para lo que se diseñaron las generaciones / iteraciones anteriores de Speed Triples. Eran firmes, si no completamente compatibles, este 1200 está increíblemente sobre amortiguado y sobre amortiguado.

Disfruto de la apariencia y la potencia, deseo que los problemas de la "cadena de suministro global" permitan que el mercado de accesorios se ponga al día con la necesidad de una mayor selección de piezas: asiento del pasajero OEM, opciones de escape, soporte dealertool.com, etc.

Amo la bicicleta. Probablemente no debería haber vendido el 07 aunque:)
buenas tardes y muchas gracias por tu reseña. He tenido una Speed 1050 rs y hace unos meses la cambié por la 1200 rs. También tengo una Tiger 1050 08 '. Decirte que el problema de suspensión de la velocidad 1200 en carreteras con baches es un asunto de la Metzeler racetech rr, funciona muy muy bien en carreteras en perfecto estado pero cuando hay baches te obliga a reducir la velocidad. Por recomendación de un amigo monté CONTIRACE ATTACK 2 STREET y ahora tengo una bici algo más cómoda que la 1050 rs, las suspensiones y la Conti funcionan en perfecta sincronía, que es más lenta al cambiar de dirección. Por favor no crea que trabajo para Continental, solo recomiendo un neumático con una carcasa similar a la del metzeler que sufría cuando había baches. Por favor, antes de vender la moto pensando que es muy difícil, pruebe con otra funda más suave. Lo he puesto en varias salas de chat porque después de cambiar la funda parece otra moto. Saludos desde España y disculpa mi inglés, disfruta de esta moto que es un auténtico prodigio.

·
Registered
850 Posts
good afternoon and thank you very much for your review. I have had a Speed 1050 rs and a few months ago I exchanged it for the 1200 rs. I also have a Tiger 1050 08 '. Telling you that the 1200 speed suspension problem on bumpy roads is a matter for the Metzeler racetech rr, it works very very well on roads in perfect condition but when there are potholes it forces you to slow down. On the recommendation of a friend I rode CONTIRACE ATTACK 2 STREET and now I have a bike somewhat more comfortable than the 1050 rs, the suspensions and the Conti work in perfect sync, which is slower when changing direction. Please don't think I work for Continental, I only recommend a tire with a similar carcass to the Metzeler that suffered when there were potholes. Please, before selling the motorcycle thinking that it is too difficult, try another softer cover. I have put it in several chat rooms because after changing the cover it looks like another motorcycle. Greetings from Spain and excuse my English, enjoy this motorcycle that is a true prodigy.
Translation for the above poster. There's also a YT channel that called out the stiff stock tires as being part of the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Translation for the above poster. There's also a YT channel that called out the stiff stock tires as being part of the problem.

Interesting. The rear tire recommended inflation pressure is 42 psi- which is where I run them. Every Supercorsa, Q4, Michelin Pilot Power I have ever run, was at significantly lower pressures for the street, and even lower for the track....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I changed the rear tire with another K3, at 1500 miles, the original was squaring off. Did not really pay attention to the replacement tire - but after this discussion, and handling and mounting it- it struck me as the softest sidewall tire I have ever mounted. FWIW. I can understand the need for 42 psi, but in contrast, my Harley softail tire has the stiffest sidewall of any motorcycle tire ever, and it's recommended inflation pressure (with a tube) is 40 psi. I don't really understand the K3 versus suspension stiffness - I guess if you have to inflate a soft carcass tire to maintain road going integrity - OK, but I am not sure about the dynamics. I think the next set of tires will be my normal Supercorsas or Q4's. I can report back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is a great shame, suspension to suit the rider is the making of a bike and much more valuable to a rider that an extra few horsepower with some dubious engine mod. I still run a 1995 Daytona 1200 and recently invested in a new rear Wilbers Shock and different weight springs up front with refurbed forks and the bike is transformed and a pleasure to ride. My weight and riding preferences were taken into account and matched accordingly, all in less than €900. That was my own labour removing and refitting the forks and fitting the new rear shock.

One might expect someone to come out with some alternative suspension components for the RS if not already available.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
One might expect someone to come out with some alternative suspension components for the RS if not already available.
It'd be hard to find suspension components that better the stock items on the Speed Triple 1200 RS. Probably more a question of spring rates than anything else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am looking at the RR with its electronic suspension. Won't this address the overly stiff for pleasure riding on the street suspension?

Or, if I get an RS, how much of the stiffness can I adjust out? When would I need to look at different spring rates? Geared up, I'm in the 180~190lb range normally and I'm not headed for a track day either. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I should note that I'm putting money down on a Speed Triple 1200 RR in Red for delivery in January in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I am looking at the RR with its electronic suspension. Won't this address the overly stiff for pleasure riding on the street suspension?
RS is adjustable. RR is electronically adjustable. If it has the same tires, then I'd think it's going to be exactly the same. I haven't even adjusted mine yet, it's on the to-do list. It doesn't bother me apparently, so I've not done anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
RS is adjustable. RR is electronically adjustable. If it has the same tires, then I'd think it's going to be exactly the same. I haven't even adjusted mine yet, it's on the to-do list. It doesn't bother me apparently, so I've not done anything.
Where I live, the roads are pretty rough in general so, a firm "sport bike" suspension is pretty harsh for normal everyday rides. My test ride was a good one but, compliance over small 'bumps' was a bit firm for me and my back which has seen too much damage from distracted cagers (three broken seatbacks). On good roads, I'm sure it is fine as setup from the factory. The electronically adjusted Ohlins is attractive to me because I can run it soft on local roads and firm it up when I get to the Interstate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found the stock 1200RS is set up too firm on the street.

There is a large improvement when I take the rear shock to 22 compression and 20 rebound. Forks 20/20 C & R. ( Tires 30lbs rear cold / 33lbs front cold).
16C&R for Track. For track I have settled on 12 Compression and 12/13 rebound (track dependent).
Super corsas 200/60 with 25lbs hot. 120/70 33lbs hot (hot off track or with warmers).
at 180lbs that works very well for me with our not great Northern California Roads (although upper Hwy 9 is in perfect shape now).

If I was thinking only street, I might lighten up the spring one increment lighter (ie 1.0 vs .95 forks etc).

William
Santa Cruz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts