Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Tiger 900 GT and both front turn indicators have failed. The TFT screen correctly lights up with the failure warning. The rear indicators work great and I love that they also light up when the brake is engaged. I took it to the dealer yesterday and am told it's a problem with the TFT screen. They performed all the updates with no resolution. Has anyone else had this issue? Not looking forward to learning what the wait may be for a replacement TFT screen from across the pond. I also hope motorists still recognize hand signals in the meantime.

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2021 Tiger 900 GT and both front turn indicators have failed. The TFT screen correctly lights up with the failure warning. The rear indicators work great and I love that they also light up when the brake is engaged. I took it to the dealer yesterday and am told it's a problem with the TFT screen. They performed all the updates with no resolution. Has anyone else had this issue? Not looking forward to learning what the wait may be for a replacement TFT screen from across the pond. I also hope motorists still recognize hand signals in the meantime.
Yippe, new TFT screen In stock and warranty work approved. My front indicator lights should be blinking shortly and I’ll be on my way.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
738 Posts
US bikes must be wired up differently from here in Oz. Having the indicators light up with the brake is probably not legal here as they have to differentiate the signals to other drivers.

It sounds odd that the indicators fail but they think the TFT needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
........................took it to the dealer yesterday and am told it's a problem with the TFT screen. They performed all the updates with no resolution. Has anyone else had this issue? Not looking forward to learning what the wait may be for a replacement TFT screen from across the pond.....................
This is becoming an alarmingly all to familiar failure. The worst part is they seem to be replacing them with the same unit that some owners are how having fail for the second time only now they're out of warranty and it's an expensive fix. :mad:

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
US bikes must be wired up differently from here in Oz. Having the indicators light up with the brake is probably not legal here as they have to differentiate the signals to other drivers.

It sounds odd that the indicators fail but they think the TFT needs replacing.
If the turn indicator is turned on, it still blinks. 3 red brake lights is better than 1. A lot of people here in the US add after market brake lights, they want to be seen, especially in rain. Some are light bars across the entire rear end, some even flash rapidly.

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is becoming an alarmingly all to familiar failure. The worst part is they seem to be replacing them with the same unit that some owners are how having fail for the second time only now they're out of warranty and it's an expensive fix. :mad:
No one else has mentioned it on here? Two friends bought 2021 Tigers from the same dealer, have way more miles (I had a hiccup on my old bike & broke my ankle when this one got delivered) and they’ve had no issues. They also do more off road than I do. If it is all too familia, there will be a recall. May be a good reason to buy the extended warranty when the time comes.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
738 Posts
If the turn indicator is turned on, it still blinks. 3 red brake lights is better than 1. A lot of people here in the US add after market brake lights, they want to be seen, especially in rain. Some are light bars across the entire rear end, some even flash rapidly.
Thanks for the info. You guys get very different indicators than here in Oz. Ours are yellow LED lights, no red in them.

Australian design regs are pretty stiff with some state regs more demanding than others. Getting a foreign car through the changes that our regs require can be very costly.

I agree about more brake lights and have mates who have added extra lights or the programmable burst-flash style - and my previous Indian had aftermarket light bars available that ran down beside the panniers.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
No one else has mentioned it on here? Two friends bought 2021 Tigers from the same dealer, have way more miles (I had a hiccup on my old bike & broke my ankle when this one got delivered) and they’ve had no issues. They also do more off road than I do. If it is all too familia, there will be a recall. May be a good reason to buy the extended warranty when the time comes.
I wasn't referring to the indicator issue specifically but to issues associated with the TFT cluster itself. You only have to read the Street and Speed Triple section on this and other forums to see how many instances there are of TFT failure on newer Triumphs. It starts with irritating things such as not being able to adjust or reset something and progresses to the point where the bike is immobilsed. That's right, if the cluster fails the bike won't run and it has to be trailered to the dealer. Triumph have so far been good at replacing the unit under warranty but no recall as yet. Worse though they seem to be replacing like for like with the result some replacements are failing and of course they are now out of warranty. It's a $2250 fix! Ouch!

Couple of examples here:

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. You guys get very different indicators than here in Oz. Ours are yellow LED lights, no red in them.

Australian design regs are pretty stiff with some state regs more demanding than others. Getting a foreign car through the changes that our regs require can be very costly.

I agree about more brake lights and have mates who have added extra lights or the programmable burst-flash style - and my previous Indian had aftermarket light bars available that ran down beside the panniers.
My husband can’t wrap his head around them being red either. I haven’t got a ticket yet but will be checking the laws now.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My husband can’t wrap his head around them being red either. I haven’t got a ticket yet but will be checking the laws now.
Don't they switch to amber when switched on as a turn signal, à la some BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, and KTM's as seen in the attached video?

UltraBRIGHTS 2-in-1 Driving Light/Turn Signal Upgrades (This is an after market unit to illustrate what I mean, they are now coming as stock on a number of bikes)

·
Registered
2021 Tiger 900GT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts