Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to have placed an order for one with no promises from the dealer as to when it might show up. I was wondering if anyone had any news on delivery dates.

If you already have one, what number is it? It would be interesting to chart which numbers end up where. I saw the YouTube video that stated numbers 1 & 2 will go the the McQueen estate in California. One will be auctioned off to benefit the boys camp that Steve McQueen attended in his youth.

Also, Triumph stated that they modified the exhaust to cut down on the heat problems. Does anyone have any real world experience with this and did it work out? I was all set to pre-order a de-cat kit but was worried that it might not fit. The parts guy at my local dealer said not to order anything until he has a VIN and a bike to check parts compatibility.

Any information on this bike would be appreciated.

CW4PWR
Virginia, USA

·
Registered
Triumph Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen
16 Posts
Here in the UK, my dealer has been told that mine should arrive in May, but then Triumph's own Youtube videos mention availability from June.

I'll update if I hear anything more.

·
Registered
Triumph Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen
16 Posts
Here in the UK, my dealer has been told that mine should arrive in May, but then Triumph's own Youtube videos mention availability from June.

I'll update if I hear anything more.
Called my dealer yesterday to get an update on delivery. Sounds like mine should be ready to collect by 19th June, possibly slightly earlier but I'm probably going to pick it up on the next available Saturday.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well I've just dropped lucky today. Went to my dealers to book a service on my Tiger 1050 and a demo on a Scrambler 1200 which I've been thinking about doing for sometime. Sat on both an XC and XE and both fine for me at 6' 1" but no demo available at the moment. Then spotted a couple of Steve McQueen LEs. Game over, deposit paid! Picking up at end of next week!

Chris

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
899 Posts
Well that sounded easy, super congrats my man, how exciting! Look forward to some pics after u pick it up…. FTG

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks FTG. I tend to keep my bikes for quite some time (there has been exceptions) as I only buy what really appeals to me and I can't let them go then - Tiger 1050 has been 13 years, previous Sprint Executive was 9 years and TBS currently 10 years. I have tried other Triumphs but nothing did it for me until today, I got that must have one feeling!
Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations Tigeralorange! I just received a call from my dealer saying the bike is on their loading dock! It will be ready for pick up on Tuesday evening.

So the next decision is how much to modify a limited edition bike? Windscreen and Lights from the dealer. I really want to do the TEC tail tidy and bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks. That's good news on your bike. I tend to keep my bikes pretty standard apart from manufacturer extras. For the Scrambler I will looking at a screen, tank and side luggage bag, rear rack and fitting my Garmin sat nav at some point.

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
409 Posts
The Triumph side bag becomes very distorted at speed and catches enough wind to cause a weave over 100mph - first bike I've experienced a speed wobble on since the 80s! Terrific bike though, loads of character and surprisingly comfy.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the side bag even though I won't be doing that sort of speed on a Scrambler unlike previous bikes!

Are there any aftermarket bags out there yet though I suppose any bag, even if stiffer is going to act like a sail?

Chris

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, it looks great out in the daylight. There are a few videos on YouTube.

I used a magnetic tank bag on my Tiger without scratching the tank but don't think I'll be risking it on the Scrambler!

SW-Motech do a side bag and tail bag in black and brown which might fit the bill when I do some trips.

Chris

Reactions: Haro

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
113 Posts
Just use some 3M clear on the tank to protect it. Worked fine for 7 years on my 500X tank with Oxford magnetic tank bag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the bike yesterday! Number 115 from Motorcycles of Dulles. I thought it was going to be a 2021 but the VIN states that it is a 2022. The dealer said that someone else picked up their Steve McQueen version earlier that day. Because I ordered mine right after the announcement, they were able to order two.

I did have an issue with the Maintenance Wrench showing up right away. I thought it was due to the Key Fob light because that was on for the most of the drive home as well. I emailed the dealer and they said to check the date on the TFT. Sure enough, it was dated 6/15/2020. The wrench light was telling me to have the annual service. I updated the date to 2021 and the service light went away.

I'm going to have to research the Key Fob issue. It's on even if the key is in the ignition.

And if you are a handwriting expert... notice the "Felon Hook" he uses on the "Q" and he lines through his name. Steve was a true rebel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
113 Posts
What do you mean by 'even with the key in the ignition?'
Have they fitted a keyed ignition to the Steve McQueen version?
Did the shop fit a new battery to the fob in front of you when you picked the bike up? My shop does that with all of those bikes with a fob.so the owner knows it is a brand new battery.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Great news that you've now got your bike. Gotta wonder why the bike prep and test didn't pick up the wrench light and wrong date issue!

I did think about asking my dealer what the number of my bike would be but decided to leave it until I pick it up which is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about the year of our bikes as I understood that the new bikes were 2022 model year (and I wanted the exhaust heat improvements) but I've also seen references to 2021 model year. Obviously our bikes are 2021 build year.

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What do you mean by 'even with the key in the ignition?'
Have they fitted a keyed ignition to the Steve McQueen version?
Did the shop fit a new battery to the fob in front of you when you picked the bike up? My shop does that with all of those bikes with a fob.so the owner knows it is a brand new battery.

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler 1200 XE
113 Posts
That isn't the bikes ignition, it is the steering lock. The manual warns against riding the bike with the key left in the steering lock and I wouldn't be doing it at all.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts