Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
2020 was a bad year for my riding. The Street Triple started the year with 32,770 miles, having done only 2448 during the year.

Cage #1 is at 372,620, having done 7785 in 2020.

Cage #2, with the odometer that works about half the time, sits disassembled in the garage at 94,710, having registered 1511 miles before I took it apart on Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
2020, what a drag. Only managed 3,356 miles on two bikes, about half of a normal year.

Starting 2021- 08 T100 with 39,403 miles. 08 Thruxton with 12,963 miles.

Most riding in 2020 was just riding with no destination. Hopeful that this will change in 2021.

Finished 2021 with 41,948 miles on the T100 and 14,201 miles on the Thruxton to start 2022.
Also starting 22 with 12,317 0n the 72 Norton that I haven't been counting.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Bonneville T100
2,297 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the ODO
Hey Scooter Trash! Looks like this is your first post here. Welcome! I encourage you to introduce yourself at the Welcome Center. A moderator will reply with a proper welcome along with some links to helpful information. Great to see another veteran rider join our forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a mileage-related question from a new motorcyclist/new Triumph owner: What is considered "high mileage" for a modern Triumph? At what point does the mileage start to seriously affect the resale or trade-in value?

Some context: I'm a new motorcyclist and new Triumph owner. I bought my 2019 Street Scrambler new in May 2019, and it now has over 15 thousand miles. My 2007 Toyota Tundra (also bought new) now has 210 thousand miles, and my 2009 BMW 335i (bought used in 2016, with 46 thousand miles) now has 89 thousand. I treat my vehicles well, but I also use them. I bought the motorcycle to ride it, not just to have something to maneuver around in my tiny garage when I'm taking out the trash.

From talking to people at shops and dealerships, I'm starting to realize that most people don't put so many miles on their motorcycles.

At some point, I hope to get a new Tiger 900 Rally Pro, but I had planned on keeping this first bike for at least another year, maybe two. If 30, 40, or 50 thousand is considered "high-mileage" for such a bike, and the trade-in or resale value tends to crash beyond a certain point, I may need to act sooner.

·
Registered
899 Posts
General opinion seems to be that a modern motorcycle engine lifespan should be similar to a car, especially for something like the Triumph twins, which don't rev particularly high and aren't over-stressed. You will find reports in the forum of !00,000 miles plus being not unusual. I think the main factor in longevity is regular oil and filter changes - spec for my twin is every 10,000 miles, but I've been doing it every 5,000.

Can't say anything about the States market, but here in NZ, trade in value does seem to suffer a big hit with "high" mileage - too much competition from low mileage offers. For me, trade-in isn't too much of a worry as I can't see me wanting to sell anytime soon, but if you're looking to change, then yes, might be best to act sooner.

The trade-in value cuts both ways, of course - if you find a well looked after bike with 40-50 thousand on the clock you can get a bargain - one which will very often be in better condition than a low-miler that's been left sitting around for extended periods of time.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Reckon I've bloody well walked further than I've ridden so far :) Snow in March? Sod off, give me crocuses and twisty Alpine corners. Although in fairness, it's not that rare here - it was my mate's birthday yesterday and he came over to visit us a few years ago to go skiing. Still, snow's rubbish :D

·
Super Moderator
2014 Bonneville T100
2,297 Posts
Hey Moonshine, I think kdxandrew gave you a good answer to your question. No question that most riders do fewer miles than what you just reported. Mileage is a factor in resale value; I think maintenance is a bigger factor, at least to an informed buyer. There's something about mileage that is similar to 'magic pricing' done by marketers. 19,000 miles sounds a lot smaller than 20,000 (and 29k vs 30k, etc.). Since it looks like you're clocking about 8-10k per year, I'd factor that into your equation.

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin
1,272 Posts
1,717 miles <4 weeks (since May 25th)

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Jeez, I hate this thread! ;) When I started out riding at age 13, the last, very last thing on my mind was mileage. I just rode, and rode, and rode. And, its been that way all my life. I've gone through a dozen or so two wheelers, and I honestly can't remember the mileage on any of them except the last one I sold. But, I remember where I went on them, and all the good times I had on them. Until I retired, I was a weekend and vacation rider. I never used a motorcycle as my ride to work. Well, I take that back. When I first went into practice I was so poor I couldn't afford a car, so I bought a 125 cc machine. That was my commuter vehicle for several months. I was lucky enough to be able to retire early, at the end of 2000. And, I've been racking up weekday miles ever since.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My Sprint GT got MOT'd the day it was delivered to me -

View attachment 758779

It's now on about 33,500, so this year isn't going too bad considering I can't yet do my normal ride to the Alps.

Hmm, just saw this post again. Just over a month later it's now on 35,535. I'd best buy an oil filter as it'll need it in a week or two. That's almost all just pleasure riding, I've never understood how people own bikes & only do a few hundred per year as this isn't even my only bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeez, I hate this thread! ;) When I started out riding at age 13, the last, very last thing on my mind was mileage. I just rode, and rode, and rode. And, its been that way all my life. I've gone through a dozen or so two wheelers, and I honestly can't remember the mileage on any of them except the last one I sold. But, I remember where I went on them, and all the good times I had on them. Until I retired, I was a weekend and vacation rider. I never used a motorcycle as my ride to work. Well, I take that back. When I first went into practice I was so poor I couldn't afford a car, so I bought a 125 cc machine. That was my commuter vehicle for several months. I was lucky enough to be able to retire early, at the end of 2000. And, I've been racking up weekday miles ever since.

Best advice I've seen yet, and pretty much where I've landed. While I'm still thinking about a new Tiger 900 Rally Pro as my next bike, I've decided not to worry about the mileage on the current ride, and I'm especially not gonna limit the length or frequency of my riding in hopes of "maximizing" resale or trade-in value at some point in the future. I may put off the purchase of a new bike for a while yet, anyway.

Last week I tested a 2019 Scrambler 1200 and a new Tiger 900 Rally Pro. I couldn't decide which I liked better. What really made me happy, though, was that when I got back on my 2019 Street Scrambler, I didn't feel like I had taken a giant step down in comfort, capability, ride quality, etc. Riding all three bikes in quick succession, I assumed I'd be able to feel a big difference.

It was a pleasant surprise that the difference in performance was much, much less than the difference in price.

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnie A-1. 1968 T120R
1,104 Posts
I’ve got 98,500 mi. on my ‘09 which I bought with 4,000 mi. in 2015. My previous’09, which I bought new had 115,000 when I sold it. So 213,000 on those two bikes in 12 years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts