Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T120 Black (Gloss)
9 Posts
I don't feel bad about buying my 2020 a few mos ago at a nice discount ($10k new). I'm annoyed by only the headlight. Once the ice melts I'll see if this fancy Phillips bulb improves performance.

·
Registered
2020 T120 Black (Gloss)
9 Posts
You're absolutely right. I think some dealerships were wanting to clear their 2020s out before the 2021 unveiling, because I bought a 2020 T120 Black Matte Black brand new last week for $8,500 (before dealer fees, tax, etc).
Are you in Los Angeles? A LA dealer has been blowing bikes out for months....it didn't make sense for me after I paid for cross-country shipping and the inflated dealer fees. I learned that dealer fees vary wildly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The dealer fees are partially what has stopped me from considering a new bike. I hate my local dealer and they charge like $2k in crap. It's just not that important to me to start looking out of state etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you in Los Angeles? A LA dealer has been blowing bikes out for months....it didn't make sense for me after I paid for cross-country shipping and the inflated dealer fees. I learned that dealer fees vary wildly.
The dealer fees are partially what has stopped me from considering a new bike. I hate my local dealer and they charge like $2k in crap. It's just not that important to me to start looking out of state etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I'm in Colorado. The dealership I found was in Iowa that was selling it that cheap. The only dealer fees I had was a $495 freight charge, and a $295 dealer set-up. That's it from them. Aside from that I will have to pay shipping from Iowa to Colorado which I'm getting quotes in the $500s. So in total before tax I'm looking at around $9,840 on a bike that's MSRP was $12,100 (T120 Black w/ the Matte Black paint)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm definitely underwhelmed given Triumph's hoopla.

On the weight savings end, notice that they took away the T120's center stand (!) and rear grab handle / mounting bar. I suspect that accounts for the majority of it. I'm sure the engine update and aluminum wheels help, but seems more a cost savings than anything. Seriously, Triumph, you removed the center stand?

I'm not sure I'd really use cruise control on a Bonneville, and haven't had a desire to upgrade my 2018. Sure, it'd be nice I guess, but why would they add it and remove the heated grips?? Also notice that the front and rear fenders are now black , just like the T100. I suspect that's not by accident....another cost cutting measure.

I do like the new tank badge, though.

Something interesting about the T120. The new configure tool is available on Triumph's main website and they list the center stand and heated grips as options. Scrolling through the T120's features pages I don't see any mention of the T120 coming standard with either of those two now. Did they take those off you all thinking? I can see heated grips in swap for the standard cruise control, but the lack of a standard center stand would be a drawback since it appears it's now a $300 option.

Edit: I saw under the accessories tab they specifically mention both heated grips and center stand kit as wonderful additions to the T120 so I would say it looks pretty concrete that those are no longer standard.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
399 Posts
No mention of an upgraded headlight but it is different.
It looks a lot like the US T100 headlight. In the US, the T100 didn't have the LED DRL built into the reflector (the DRL was pointless with the headlight always on) which meant it did have useful high-beam.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also noticed that they cost-cut the fork boots off of the T100, and the T120 is no longer showing any solid color options except for black.

I'm definitely underwhelmed given Triumph's hoopla.

On the weight savings end, notice that they took away the T120's center stand (!) and rear grab handle / mounting bar. I suspect that accounts for the majority of it. I'm sure the engine update and aluminum wheels help, but seems more a cost savings than anything. Seriously, Triumph, you removed the center stand?

I'm not sure I'd really use cruise control on a Bonneville, and haven't had a desire to upgrade my 2018. Sure, it'd be nice I guess, but why would they add it and remove the heated grips?? Also notice that the front and rear fenders are now black , just like the T100. I suspect that's not by accident....another cost cutting measure.

I do like the new tank badge, though.

·
Banned
480 Posts
I'm in Colorado. The dealership I found was in Iowa that was selling it that cheap. The only dealer fees I had was a $495 freight charge, and a $295 dealer set-up. That's it from them. Aside from that I will have to pay shipping from Iowa to Colorado which I'm getting quotes in the $500s. So in total before tax I'm looking at around $9,840 on a bike that's MSRP was $12,100 (T120 Black w/ the Matte Black paint)

FYI the dealer in ABQ has the same bike and is a lot closer...

2020 Triumph Bonneville T120 Black

·
Registered
563 Posts
So the 7kg T120 weight savings is the removal of the center stand? :p

I like the looks of the gold line Street Twin.

Bobber gets a 12L tank now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Also, on the T120 heated grips are now optional. Looks as though they traded standard cruise control for eliminated std. heated grips.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,083 Posts
I'm of the opinion that Triumph did a terrific job on theses updated models. All they did was improve on something that was already class-leading greatness... All the while NOT making current 2016 thru 2020 Bonneville enthusiasts feel or look "antiqued" in the slightest. So whether Triumph meant it or not, that was huge plus (at least for me). Now a guy like me can still feel proud of the (almost foolish) amount of money spent on personalizing & upgrading a ride that he or she loves so much already. I only have a month & a half until my local Department of Transportation decides to stop salting, rusting & dissolving everyone's vehicles as if they where Alka-Seltzer tables. So I'm still going to feel pretty prime when I role my Thrux-R out for the first time this April. Knowing it wont be veiwed as a rubber-band wind-up steam-engine lever-shifting moped... Thought it was cool that the new bikes have fitted cruise control vs heated grips. (Heated grip accessory is slightly less & easier to install in one's garage, for those that would want both.) The aluminum T120 wheels are a nice improvement. And while the larger fuel capacity (mentioned for the Bobber) is obviously more usefule, I'm not sure I love that on a bike that is primarily purchased for its aesthetics over its function. I may be in the monirity on that one. I'll have to see it in "real" life. I just remember hating when I saw an '07 Bonneville next to an '08 with the new fuel injected tank dwarfing the other. Lastly, looks like the T120 tank badges now screwed on to the fuel tank. I imagine that's a welcome feature for those that would like to change it with a Triumph accessory one. I can only assume that would eliminate sweating buckets while trying to pry the adhered ones off your new bike's perfect paint without marring it... All in all, a great job once again.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Bud Ekins T120 Special didn’t get heated grips. Perhaps we should have seen that one coming.
They've been progressively dropping the centre stand from Tiger models for a while, so there’s a lesson there too. We shouldn’t just shrug these things off or more and more gets dumbed down.
Engine gets no more power, but at least it didn’t lose any (at the flywheel) through the Euro5 process - just spins up quicker and is more responsive. Nothing said about exhaust system changes but I’d bet the cat is now more restrictive and most likely welded in place as with the Thruxton RS. Rear wheel hp could have suffered, offset by a snappier feel.
I agree with the sentiments above that this a great upgrade because it won’t dent the appeal or value of the 2016-2020 models while still offering an improvement in a two steps forward, 2 steps back kind of way.

·
Registered
2017 T120 Bonneville in Black
725 Posts
A cruise control is no us to me here but heated grips in the winter are an excellent thing to have, never had them before, just cold fingers.
Centre stand is very important to me as well, the only reason I wouldn't buy the Speedmaster even though I love the design.

Not in any hurry to swop my 2017 model for something inferior (IMHO)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not only that, but the colors for this year are not my cup of tea. They're darker and it looks like they're going for a more brooding look while not going black. Of all the improvements they couldn't get rid of the giant ass seam along the bottom of the tank.

So will those aluminum wheels get dark and nasty like the brushed aluminum on the rest of the bike and require constant upkeep as well?

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
940 Posts
Lastly, looks like the T120 tank badges now screwed on to the fuel tank. I imagine that's a welcome feature for those that would like to change it with a Triumph accessory one.
It’s been awhile since I swapped tank badges but I think the standard T120 badges were always screwed into the tank. The foil logos on the stock badges covered the screws. I agree with everything else you’ve posted though. Personally, I think it’s a shame Triumph didn’t throw in a 7 inch version of the Bobber headlamp for the T120.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts