Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I havent been on here in a while...but this thread has me genuinely LOLing. Best sense of humor on the internet is triumphrat.

Can't wait to see the new bike...although im probably too enamored with mine to even consider an "upgrade"

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bought mine to ride. Stone chips and other battle scars come with the territory. If I wanted it to look good I’d keep it in the house.

My ‘04 Speedmaster with 115K miles has her share of blemishes and has been laid over more times than I’ll ever remember, but nobody can believe she has the miles on her when I tell it. She’s Black, and still looks right nice after a spit bath.
Good to hear the high mileage - I'm hoping mine will last a while too :)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Good to hear the high mileage - I'm hoping mine will last a while too :)
It’s not just “high mileage”. I live in Houston. The curves are only where the freeways interchange, but all roads are flat and straight beyond that. Yes, I have taken her cross-country a lot, (more straight highway getting to and from), but my point is that once I get on the road and hit 5th gear, that’s it for the gearbox. It’s all throttle action then. I’ve often wondered how many hours that little engine has run at over 5K rpm and under load. I’m still amazed. If one could ever be abused without being over-revved, this one has.

I’ve changed the oi every 4K miles, just like MY owners manual says to (they revised it for 2005 to 6K mile intervals). Extreme heat, traffic. And I run the piss out of it, with nary a whimper. I’ve literally been trying to break it for several years now and it simply won’t break.

I took her in for fork seals when I picked up the new Bonneville in December, and she’s still in the shop. New fork leg (don’t ask), led to a valve adjustment while waiting for parts. (My idea.) Broken timing chain guide (explains a rattle I’d been hearing of late), and the timing chain top sprocket bearing was bad. Peering down into the cases, the bottom sprocket is coming apart. She’s not worth splitting the cases for a new crank at this age and mileage, so I said back out of it gently and if she’ll still run, I can run her as long as she’s willing without any more freeway use.

If I could source a good builder I would be willing to have it overhauled, but it would have to be someone who knows these engines intimately and has experience with them (mayb someone who has raced that engine?) I’m casually looking for a parts bike I could get an engine out of... I really love the bike.

She was brought to me new on a trailer and it was 80K miles before she ever saw the bed of another. Always got me home.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Speed Triple 1200 RS reveal was not live. It was pro edited, and no audience. I would check the UK website whenever it's supposed to be announced, it'll be on YouTube. Well, the video may say live, but it's just being live streamed from a recording.

·
Registered
2020 Bonneville T120 Black
78 Posts
Bought mine to ride. Stone chips and other battle scars come with the territory. If I wanted it to look good I’d keep it in the house.

My ‘04 Speedmaster with 115K miles has her share of blemishes and has been laid over more times than I’ll ever remember, but nobody can believe she has the miles on her when I tell it. She’s Black, and still looks right nice after a spit bath.
I worked three dealers to get the price I wanted. We signed the papers, gave the salesman the check and he walked away to the manager. My wife hopped on the bike and immediately put it on its side. It has a scratch on the exhaust, the engine cover and a couple other places. She was embarrassed and I was happy I didn’t do it!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Damn. Cruise control is standard on the T120 now. That's awesome. The new instrument cluster looks cool too. The new aluminum wheels don't look as nice as the all out chrome IMHO. Not really a ton of reasons to upgrade that's for sure. Not sure what the engine performance is like but my 2018 performs just fine for my tastes. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, was expecting more to be honest. The new models look the same as the old ones. Some minor changes here and there mostly to the engines to make them Euro5 compliant. Otherwise, agree there's not many reasons to upgrade.

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
70 Posts
Agreed. While the changes seem to be all positive, they certainly don't live up to the hype. Not a reason to upgrade at all.
Question about the Speedmaster (which seems to have received the fewest changes): Is the "new" comfort seat just the same old comfort seat, now fitted as standard? Or did they actually upgrade the comfort seat? Seating comfort has always been an issue with the new Speedys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Something interesting about the T120. The new configure tool is available on Triumph's main website and they list the center stand and heated grips as options. Scrolling through the T120's features pages I don't see any mention of the T120 coming standard with either of those two now. Did they take those off you all thinking? I can see heated grips in swap for the standard cruise control, but the lack of a standard center stand would be a drawback since it appears it's now a $300 option.

Edit: I saw under the accessories tab they specifically mention both heated grips and center stand kit as wonderful additions to the T120 so I would say it looks pretty concrete that those are no longer standard.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
399 Posts
The new configure tool is available on Triumph's main website and they list the center stand and heated grips as options.
The configure tool has had plenty of bugs in the past, so I wouldn't read a lot into that just yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The configure tool has had plenty of bugs in the past, so I wouldn't read a lot into that just yet...
Very true, but check my "Edit" I made. I saw under the accessories tab they specifically mention both heated grips and center stand kit as wonderful additions to the T120 so I would say it looks pretty concrete that those are no longer standard.

The fact that they typed it out under accessories and sort of justify why they would be good options eludes to them indeed being extra:

Here are the descriptions pulled directly from the accessories page on Triumphs website: accessories

Heated Grips: Heading off the beaten track and into the mountains? Then heated grips will bring a little luxury to your journey. Bespoke for the Bonneville, fitting is straightforward and the heated grip status is displayed on the instrument face.

Center Stand Kit: The centre stand kit is a perfect add-on to help with rear wheel cleaning and chain maintenance.

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton S
160 Posts
Looking at the specifications for the "new" bikes, I see that Triumph is/are listing wet weights, and the numbers are much larger than I expected. Triumph's dry weights must have been calculated by subtracting more than just gasoline.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Very true, but check my "Edit" I made. I saw under the accessories tab they specifically mention both heated grips and center stand kit as wonderful additions to the T120 so I would say it looks pretty concrete that those are no longer standard.

The fact that they typed it out under accessories and sort of justify why they would be good options eludes to them indeed being extra:

Here are the descriptions pulled directly from the accessories page on Triumphs website: accessories

Heated Grips: Heading off the beaten track and into the mountains? Then heated grips will bring a little luxury to your journey. Bespoke for the Bonneville, fitting is straightforward and the heated grip status is displayed on the instrument face.

Center Stand Kit: The centre stand kit is a perfect add-on to help with rear wheel cleaning and chain maintenance.
Based on this, you can get a pretty darn good deal on a 2020, add cruise control and you've still got a great bike. Removing the heated grips and the center stand is more money than adding cruise control to the current bike. I know the new bike has a little more power, lighter wheels etc. But it doesn't seem like it makes the old bike obsolete at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on this, you can get a pretty darn good deal on a 2020, add cruise control and you've still got a great bike. Removing the heated grips and the center stand is more money than adding cruise control to the current bike. I know the new bike has a little more power, lighter wheels etc. But it doesn't seem like it makes the old bike obsolete at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
You're absolutely right. I think some dealerships were wanting to clear their 2020s out before the 2021 unveiling, because I bought a 2020 T120 Black Matte Black brand new last week for $8,500 (before dealer fees, tax, etc).

81 - 100 of 148 Posts