Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a little more than 2000 km's on my Tiger 900 GT Pro. I took it into my dealer for its first service. During the service there was an ECU update applied to fix some software issue(s).

Since that update my Quick Shifter is acting "differently". In advance of the service I could pretty much up-shift at any time with no issues whatsoever. Down-shifting always required me to let off the throttle ever so slightly to get it to down-shift properly.

Since the ECU update my quick shifter now requires me to let off the throttle just a little whenever I shift. Up or down.

Just a heads up. Anybody else experience this?

·
Vendor
208 Posts
Try increasing the cut time. You should be able to upshift WFO - that's the whole point behind the exercise!

Reactions: Gyp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not I.

Can shift any time, any direction, any throttle position.
Mine won't up shift unless you have some throttle input. I've read that this is normal. Would be nice if it allowed up shifts while off the throttle, when you come up to highway speeds by 3 or 4th gear, it would be nice to be able to just click it up to 6th without accelerating more.

·
Vendor
208 Posts
The way the QS works is to briefly cut power to the engine, allowing the transmission to shift without the clutch. If you aren't on the throttle and the transmission is loaded in reverse, cutting the engine won't unload the gears, and you can't shift.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine won't up shift unless you have some throttle input. I've read that this is normal. Would be nice if it allowed up shifts while off the throttle, when you come up to highway speeds by 3 or 4th gear, it would be nice to be able to just click it up to 6th without accelerating more.
But you can. The throttle isn’t just full on or full off. You can back off a little without taking all the load off the transmission and just click through the gears while not continuing to accelerate. Quite simple with practise. You just need a little finesse.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I haven’t tried a Triumph QS. On my BMW, I have to be accelerating hard in 1st with the revs at least 6000 rpm to get a smooth QS. From 2nd to 3rd, less so. What’s the point of up QS unless you’re really on it?

·
Vendor
208 Posts
That's a big gap from 1st to 2nd, plus the pitfall of the neutral detent, so it is a bit more interesting getting a good QS across that shift. The harder you are on the gas, and the higher the revs, the more the engine backs off when the QS kicks in, making for a smoother shift.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I haven’t tried a Triumph QS. On my BMW, I have to be accelerating hard in 1st with the revs at least 6000 rpm to get a smooth QS. From 2nd to 3rd, less so. What’s the point of up QS unless you’re really on it?
Because it’s fun to use and makes ordinary riding more enjoyable. You can still change gears without it if you think it’s no use but then it’s there when you want it. I think you’ll find that a large proportion of riders aren’t always “on it” when they ride, by the way. What’s the point of sat nav if you’re not lost? Or heated grips if it’s not cold? Or 100hp if you’re commuting? Or a gear indicator if you can count?
Sounds like your BMW QS is vastly inferior to the Triumph one as I can get smooth changes between all gears on my Tiger and Street Triple, up or down, at (almost) any revs. But it does require a little bit of technique (skill/practise) to get it right....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts