Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few reports in various threads about the quickshifter failing to work at times, but I can't remember who or what threads the posts were in...

Can anyone that has had the issue, post in this thread?

I have had it happen a few times, and I am positive that I wasn't keeping pressure on the shift lever when it happened... Sometimes happens with shifting up, but also sometimes when shifting down... It's not always the same gear...

But you click the lever and grab the next gear, and then when you go to grab the next one a few seconds later, nothing happens. The lever moves, but it doesn't go into the next gear... you have to hit it a few times in order for it to do it.... than it might be fine for the next 50 shifts...

There doesn't seem to be a pattern or anything that I can pick up on... its very intermittent, but I have seen a few others with the exact same issue, so I am wondering if there is something to this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've experienced this a couple times. I am still in the break in period so I was going to wait to see if this is a technique issue. I mentioned it to my dealer when i went in there last week to pic up my fly screen, one of the guys that I deal with says that he had a similar issue with his 2018, but once he adjusted the linkage, the problem disappeared completely. He didnt say exactly what he did though.

I've also had it happen going down through the gears as well, once where it went from 2nd to neutral.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have not had that issue with my '18 RS but I have had some issues. False neutrals, not going up in gear and also sometimes going up but them dropping back down again. All of these are caused by not being positive enough when I shift I think. The lever needs a good firm push up to be sure of a good change. I have had the same going down even though I do not have a blipper. Ie I have pulled the clutch and pushed on the lever but it has stayed in the higher gear - again firmer pressure seems to be the answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am pretty close now to 1,000 miles and I haven’t experienced the QS issues you are describing. Mine has worked without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coming from the world of Ducati, I am all too familiar with notchy gearboxes, false neutrals and having to use very positive motions...

This isn't that. I will keep an eye on it... Here is how it FEELS to me when it happens... this is an impression only, nothing mechanical or scientific to back it up...

It almost feels like whatever spring is in there to return the shifter to the stationary position when you select a gear and then release it, is 98% strong enough... meaning once in awhile, it doesn't return it quite enough to where it needs to be to grab the next gear... So you push the lever and it will move as it should... but like a ratchet you didn't click back far enough, it simply doesn't do anything... Once you flick it a few times, it returns that last itty bitty bit that it needs to engage and grab the next gear...

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure which type (spark or fuel) of QS Triumph is using but sounds as if the switch is not fully engaging on shift to cut spark or fuel. This will definitely prevent it from working and can occur intermittently. Had this happen on a Translogic QS I had on my 750 track bike. Ended up having to replace the switch.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure which type (spark or fuel) of QS Triumph is using but sounds as if the switch is not fully engaging on shift to cut spark or fuel. This will definitely prevent it from working and can occur intermittently. Had this happen on a Translogic QS I had on my 750 track bike. Ended up having to replace the switch.
That's always a possibility... Will see if it gets better or worse over time...

·
Registered
89 Posts
No QS issues on my RS or on my Tiger 1200.

My KTM 790 Adventure R on the other hand. It makes me miss the QS on my Triumphs.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Coming from the world of Ducati, I am all too familiar with notchy gearboxes, false neutrals and having to use very positive motions...

This isn't that. I will keep an eye on it... Here is how it FEELS to me when it happens... this is an impression only, nothing mechanical or scientific to back it up...

It almost feels like whatever spring is in there to return the shifter to the stationary position when you select a gear and then release it, is 98% strong enough... meaning once in awhile, it doesn't return it quite enough to where it needs to be to grab the next gear... So you push the lever and it will move as it should... but like a ratchet you didn't click back far enough, it simply doesn't do anything... Once you flick it a few times, it returns that last itty bitty bit that it needs to engage and grab the next gear...

Does that make sense?
that sounds more like a mechanical problem with the gear selector mechanism than the quickshifter.
does it feel ok when you move the gear lever with your hand or is it sticking, have you tried it with the quick shifter turned off, does the gear change feel normal then?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sounds more like a mechanical problem with the gear selector mechanism than the quickshifter.
does it feel ok when you move the gear lever with your hand or is it sticking, have you tried it with the quick shifter turned off, does the gear change feel normal then?
It always feels normal with the clutch... As soon as it stops raining, I will mess with it and see if I can get it to do it again... It rains 5-6 days a week in Atlanta so riding days are few and far between...

·
Vendor
169 Posts
Is your shift pedal too low? You may have the pedal positioned such that it's a little awkward to return the pedal to 'neutral', where the ratchet can reset. The next time it happens, try forcing your foot down a little, see if that clears it up.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not the peddle position. Once it happened, I started paying attention to it to see what might be contributing to it...

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is my first quick shifter.
I’ve done about 800km so far and it’s never missed a change in either direction.

What I’ve noticed is shifting in lower revs (under 5k) is no where near as smooth as shifting with the clutch. I’m looking forward to some higher rev riding after it’s service in a couple of days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had it happen again this morning at lower speeds. 2nd>3rd, Its almost like the lever wouldnt return to the neutral position but I definitely let my foot completely off of the lever.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had it happen again this morning at lower speeds. 2nd>3rd, Its almost like the lever wouldnt return to the neutral position but I definitely let my foot completely off of the lever.
That is EXACTLY how it feels when mine does it... like the shift lever isn’t quite returning to neutral. Like the return spring is weak or maybe something in the linkage is binding...

I will go over the linkage and grease everything later

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is EXACTLY how it feels when mine does it... like the shift lever isn’t quite returning to neutral. Like the return spring is weak or maybe something in the linkage is binding...

I will go over the linkage and grease everything later
Let me know what you do if you find something that works. I mentioned it to one of the salesman at the dealer I bought it from, he said its just a minor adjustment of the linkage that completely solved the problem for him on his 2018 but he didnt say which way he adjusted it.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me know what you do if you find something that works. I mentioned it to one of the salesman at the dealer I bought it from, he said its just a minor adjustment of the linkage that completely solved the problem for him on his 2018 but he didnt say which way he adjusted it.
It absolutely is a simple adjustment, if the problem is that the lever is too high or too low, causing your foot to always keep a little pressure on it... I don't believe that that is the case here, but I will keep digging...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts