Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Someone sent me a question privately asking about how the Aprilia compares to the Street... Here was my response, in case anyone else was interested...

------------------------------------
It all depends on whether you have local dealer support. I am in Atlanta, which is a huge bike market, but for some reason the only dealer not in the area, is Aprilia. The nearest one is in the next state, 202 miles away. So anything that requires a trip to the dealer for service or warranty work, is a minimum of 400 miles round trip. If it is something that I have to leave at the dealer, then it's ANOTHER 400 mile round trip to go pick it up.

That's a major headache for me, when I already have two Triumphs and the local Triumph dealer is down the street and I am friends with the owner. haha

As far as how the bikes compare. There is no comparison. Well, in some ways there is, but for sheet performance, not even close. A 2017+ Tuono with a slipon and race ECU, which you con flash yourself for like $30... Is putting down 40-45hp more, at the wheel, than the StreetRS.

45hp on a bike, is a massive difference. It's a bit heavier, but the handling is sublime. The Tuono has a revised RSV-4 chassis which is regarded as one of the best out there. The power, never ends. It's a handful!

pound for pound, the Tuono is the most insane, fun, brutal and intoxicating hyper naked out there... at least until the new Ducati Streetfighter V4 lands...

That said, the Street is lighter, quicker steering, easy to ride fast because it isn't trying to kill you the way the Tuono does...

It all comes down to what you want. If you live in an area that's most tight twisty roads... the Aprilia won't be any faster... You need space to put down that kind of power.

The Aprilia has better electronics. Launch control, wheelie control, lean angle sensing ABS and traction, etc... The rider aids can be switched on the fly as you ride down the road, no need to cut the throttle or pull in the clutch... You could be leaned over in a turn, on the gas, and decide you want more traction control... and there is a thumb paddle that lets you dial it up or down in real time, while on the gas.

Wheelie control, Traction and ride modes are all independent from each other, with dedicated buttons on the switchgear. Aprilia set the Tuono up like a race bike. There is no rain mode. It's Sport, Track and Race. That's it. And the ride mode is simply throttle response and engine braking. Traction, wheelie and ABS are all separate and whatever you want, whenever you want. No having to stop and switch modes or settings for anything except ABS. Everything else can be done instantly, on the fly, on the gas, whatever... It's slick.

The Aprilia's quick shifter is better. It's quicker and it is smoother...

It's a brutal, brilliant bike, IF you have a dealer handy... and it's Italian, so you WILL want a dealer handy... haha

They are both comfortable, they both handle like a dream... with a pipe they both sound glorious... I guess it comes down to, how much power do you want? Do you have a local dealer to support you when something comes up? Do you live in an area where you have more big open spaces or longer flowing high speed track days, where the extra 45hp will benefit you?

If you want to know what a piped Tuono sounds like at full chat...

Overall, both bikes are amazing for what they are designed for. Yes, the Aprilia is faster, but on a twisty Mtn road it can't put that power down.. a nimble street RS will be right on it's arse... If you want power wheelies in 3rd at triple digits, get the Tuono... If you want bragging rights and power and torque that punts you into the next zip code when you look at the throttle, get the Tuono...

If you want something light, revvy, sexy, incredibly agile that does everything from a morning commute to a track day toy really well, get the Street RS.
Good to hear from another Tuono owner. I have a '18 Tuono and no doubt like you said it's an amazing bike but, I'm also in the same boat as you no dealers around for 300 miles. I had a KTM 1290 Super Duke also a great bike before it and a '18 STRS before it. I am trading the Tuono next week for a new STRS and very excited to get back on it. I agree with everything you said at the end of the day I'm getting to old and don't need that the power of the Tuono or SuperDuke and the handling of the STRS is just fantastic. I have always been a big Triumph fan having a few 995's and 675 dayona's though the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree on the dash! After 300 miles I have finally settled in to screen 2 and then I put the tach numbers in the top part so I Read it by number.. those stupid bars going left to right are unreadable..

For the first 200 miles I was constantly switching screens to find something tolerable..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Make
I agree on the dash! After 300 miles I have finally settled in to screen 2 and then I put the tach numbers in the top part so I Read it by number.. those stupid bars going left to right are unreadable..

For the first 200 miles I was constantly switching screens to find something tolerable..
Make sure you send them an email giving this feedback.
[email protected]

I’ve put 1,500km on the bike now and I still hate the display.
This should be an easy fix, I saw the previous models really good displays on my 2020. That’s all I would like is to have those as an option. Even just one of the round tach versions would be perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up the 2020 RS (my first ever Triumph motorcycle), trading in my 2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800, in the process. They only had two at the dealership and both were the matte black and hi-viz yellow. At first, I was like, nah, I'll get the other color but when I went back the next day to take a second look I actually liked it. Yes, it's matte and a little tougher to clean and maintain but I purchased it anyways and very happy. A couple of days later our state went on shutdown due to the Corona Virus. So I have not been able to ride her around as much. I am still in the break-in period at just a little over 300 miles and totally forgot about that for the first 150 miles as I took her up to 8500 rpm on occasion riding a popular scenic drive of about 60 miles along Lake Mead heading to Valley of Fire, where I live here in Las Vegas. Since then I have been following the book, if you will, for the remainder of the break-in.

Off-the-line the ST doesn't scare you like the Brutale and there is a little bit of HP lost switching over to the ST (the Brutale has 125hp). But top-end is about the same at around 150mph. I have seen in some videos riders are saying there is a limiter at 150mph on the RS. Brakes bite good like everyone has stated. Not a lot of engine braking compared to my Brutale which was a lot more pronounced when you rolled off the throttle (sometimes a little too much). Smooth shifting and the quickshifter is a nice touch. Stock settings for the suspension have been completely fine with me (first time riding with Ohlins). The TFT display works well with the different display options; it's just a matter of finding the right one for you. One little complaint I have (and it may be a Street Triple thing) is the clutch cable that comes across and blocks off a little bit of the lower portion of the the TFT display, but I just deal with it because I love everything else about the bike.

I love the intoxicating sound of the 3-cylinders. So far, very happy!

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
You really don't have to baby it during the break in... If you already have a few hundred miles on it let her rip...

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Well, I guess you don't need to tell me twice! ?

My first brand-new bike as my previous ones were used and didn't have to worry about a break-in. Thanks!
The breakin process has far more to do with the lawyers and liability and them wanting you to take it easy and get to learn a brand new bike, etc...

By the time you have done a hundred miles, those pistons have gone up and down at least a million times... Heck, many manufacturers take a brand new motor that is hours old at the factory, and strap it to a dyno and run the crap out of it to redline to make sure it is performing properly...

·
Registered
12 Posts
They didn’t have any silver triples left because I was there before you and bought it..

they had 2 black 2020 triples left..

You must have bought from eurocycles in Las Vegas

I just picked up the 2020 RS (my first ever Triumph motorcycle), trading in my 2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800, in the process. They only had two at the dealership and both were the matte black and hi-viz yellow. At first, I was like, nah, I'll get the other color but when I went back the next day to take a second look I actually liked it. Yes, it's matte and a little tougher to clean and maintain but I purchased it anyways and very happy. A couple of days later our state went on shutdown due to the Corona Virus. So I have not been able to ride her around as much. I am still in the break-in period at just a little over 300 miles and totally forgot about that for the first 150 miles as I took her up to 8500 rpm on occasion riding a popular scenic drive of about 60 miles along Lake Mead heading to Valley of Fire, where I live here in Las Vegas. Since then I have been following the book, if you will, for the remainder of the break-in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They didn’t have any silver triples left because I was there before you and bought it..

they had 2 black 2020 triples left..

You must have bought from eurocycles in Las Vegas
I did buy one of the two remaining black ones over at Eurocycle. Bought my last three bikes from there including a Moto Guzzi V7-II back in 2016 and the Brutale back in 2018 before finally getting the 2020 RS. So they know me well over there. Maybe we'll cross paths one of these days at one of the bike nights here in town or just out and about riding! ?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Yup, I take is easy for 100 miles and then change the oil, then I rider it pretty hard till 250 and change it again and then it’s game on...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just realized before I joined this forum, a video you did on the dash helped convince me to buy the R instead of the RS. This thread in general gives me better peace for getting a Street Triple at all. I greatly appreciate you.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I just realized before I joined this forum, a video you did on the dash helped convince me to buy the R instead of the RS. This thread in general gives me better peace for getting a Street Triple at all. I greatly appreciate you.
Glad I could help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my 2020 a few days ago, one thing i noticed is the US versions seem to have regular turn signals not LED. Seems weird

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perhaps we can thank the archaic US DOT lighting laws. Fortunately, aftermarket or euro lights can easily be adapted to our bikes; unfortunately just more $$$. Enjoy the bike!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I'm pretty sure we can most definitely thank the archaic US DOT regulations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did a quick tail tidy and LED blinker install today. Simple LED bars with adhesive tape, and some "L" shelving brackets for the tag.

can you please provide a link to all the stuff i need to do this tailight conversion i hate these huge blinkers sticking out of my 2020 rs

161 - 179 of 179 Posts