Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this in the wrong section and will go and delete it there...

For context, I had a 2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100rr with an exhaust, race ECU and a couple other mods. On the dyno it was putting down 165hp and 85ft/lbs and was absolutely amazing to ride. Just stupid fast, exotic and fun. But, the nearest dealer was 200 miles away, it was gonna need the $1000 12k mile valve service in a few months, and only had a few months of warranty left. I live 3 miles from a really good BMW/Triumph dealership here on Lake Lanier, and I already have 2 Triumph's in the garage anyway... my 2017 Street Cup, and my wife's 2018 Street RS 765.

--------------------------------------------

So, put 75 miles on the bike today, breaking the motor in, adjusted a few clicks on the forks and the shocks. Played a little, but kept it under 8000rpm... Once I get to 100 miles on the clock, I will change the oil and then ride it like I stole it...

So far... No question that it makes a lot less power than the Aprilia. We are talking 45hp less and like 30ft/lbs less torque, at the wheel. No ignoring that. The Ape would walk away from this like a scalded Ape on a straightaway.

That said, its fast. It's sneaky fast, rather than "OMG HOLY **** I AM GONNA DIE" fast. Has good usable power down low and a strong midrange. I haven't really gotten onto it yet, but the bulk of the power that it does have, is up top, and its gonna be nice after I get it broken in... These motors love to rev...

Now, for all the things I like. The looks. Fit and finish and attention to detail, better than the Aprilia. More on par with Ducati and MV Agusta. MV's are a step up, but this bike is amazingly well put together.

It is one of the lightest bikes I have ever ridden. It weighs less than 600's, It's amazingly flickable. Its comfortable. Just think about turning, and it does. It feels different though. Not nervous... it is planted and stable, but the larger Aprilia and the bigger Speed Triple type of bikes, are heavier... so they take a little more effort to chuck into a turn, but once there they feel extra "planted". The Street is not as planted, but it is stable and you can flick it back and forth and adjust your line, considerably easier.

The new quickshifter with autoblip is nice. Works very slick at higher revs and throttle inputs, but is a bit stiffer at lower revs than the Aprilia is. I will see if that smooths out as the gearbox breaks in as it gets miles on it.

Brakes, are phenomenal... They have more bite than the Aprilia had. Brembo M50's, steel braided lines and that Brembo MCS master, is a killer combo. That master cylinder and lever is what comes on the $70k Ducati Superlegerra... It's quality stuff!

Suspension feels great, but an Ohlins TTX40 shock and Showa BPF forks ought to. Still needs a little adjustment but feeling good so far.

The motor is amazing. Not because of the power, but because of how it revs and sounds, and it is just an aggressive, eager motor. Fueling seems good, only been riding it in Track mode as I wanted it as aggressive as possible. It feels raw, it snarls and barks and is one of the best sounding stock exhausts I have owned. Will I get a muffler at some point? Sure, but I don't feel much of an urge to yet. It sounds that good. When I do, it will probably be something simple, I don't like dropping a lot of money on exhaust. Something that sounds good and looks decent is all I need. Not looking for performance as I don't want to have to tune it if I don't have to. My wife didn't, when we put the Yoshimura Alpha T slipon on her 2018 model.

So far it is brilliant and I can't wait to really romp on it.

What would I change? The dash, while nice new graphics were included... I actually prefer the themes and screens on the 2018-19 model. I feel they were easier to read and see things like the tach out of the corner of your eye... I think mine has more info, but I like the last generation aesthetics better. But I can work with this for sure.

I picked up a nice tank pad, swingarm spools and a multitool that will fit under the seat. The "trunk" area is actually pretty generous. I can put a rag, some tools, a roll of tape, some zip ties, etc... in there with ease. The Aprilia had NO room. I mean zero.

All in all it is an impressive bike. Gave up some power for sure, but picked up convenience with a local dealer and a really neat bike, that should handle like a dream and be fun in the Mtns or the occasional track day.

Needs the fly screen, as the Aprilia had much better wind protection... It's listed in the configurator on the website, but I have not seen a part number or place to order it by itself. If anyone knows where I can score the Triumph Accessories tinted fly screen for the 2020 model, let me know ASAP!

I feel like all I really gave up was power and some top end speed. The Tuono would run in the 170's easy... This bike might hit 150? But I tell myself, where am I gonna go that fast anyway... Maybe on a long track, or a quick blip on a road, but I don't think I will miss the Aprilia's top speed for the 10-15 seconds I spend up there in a given year...

I will do another local ride to get over 100 miles on the clock and then I am gonna open it up and ride the crap out of it and see what it's got. Long breakins are not needed with today's bikes, and many tuners and engine builders say could result in lower power output. You don't want to trash a motor fresh out of the crate, but you want to work it up and down the revs under good load to get pressure in there forcing the rings into the cylinder walls... Lots of studies showing motors with "hard breakin" actually make better compression and power...

I figure by 100 miles, the pistons have gone up and down at least 1 million times... Change the break in oil and filter, and just ride it and don't worry about it... I have broken in every bike I have ever owned that way and never had an issue. Many companies build new motors in the factory and then toss them on a dyno and run them through their paces, check peak power output and stuff to make sure it is in the proper range, etc... If that doesn't blow it up, you riding around town a bit ham fisted, isn't going to... So I would say I do it "medium" for 100 miles, and then just give it the beans and not look back.

There is zero reason, as far as the bike is concerned, to break in for 1,000 miles. That's 40 year old mindset, from older bikes, older materials, older manufacturing techniques and tolerances, outdated lubrication technology, etc...
Anyway, should knock out the rest of the breakin miles tomorrow, will change the oil and then gonna let her rip...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone sent me a question privately asking about how the Aprilia compares to the Street... Here was my response, in case anyone else was interested...

------------------------------------
It all depends on whether you have local dealer support. I am in Atlanta, which is a huge bike market, but for some reason the only dealer not in the area, is Aprilia. The nearest one is in the next state, 202 miles away. So anything that requires a trip to the dealer for service or warranty work, is a minimum of 400 miles round trip. If it is something that I have to leave at the dealer, then it's ANOTHER 400 mile round trip to go pick it up.

That's a major headache for me, when I already have two Triumphs and the local Triumph dealer is down the street and I am friends with the owner. haha

As far as how the bikes compare. There is no comparison. Well, in some ways there is, but for sheet performance, not even close. A 2017+ Tuono with a slipon and race ECU, which you con flash yourself for like $30... Is putting down 40-45hp more, at the wheel, than the StreetRS.

45hp on a bike, is a massive difference. It's a bit heavier, but the handling is sublime. The Tuono has a revised RSV-4 chassis which is regarded as one of the best out there. The power, never ends. It's a handful!

pound for pound, the Tuono is the most insane, fun, brutal and intoxicating hyper naked out there... at least until the new Ducati Streetfighter V4 lands...

That said, the Street is lighter, quicker steering, easy to ride fast because it isn't trying to kill you the way the Tuono does...

It all comes down to what you want. If you live in an area that's most tight twisty roads... the Aprilia won't be any faster... You need space to put down that kind of power.

The Aprilia has better electronics. Launch control, wheelie control, lean angle sensing ABS and traction, etc... The rider aids can be switched on the fly as you ride down the road, no need to cut the throttle or pull in the clutch... You could be leaned over in a turn, on the gas, and decide you want more traction control... and there is a thumb paddle that lets you dial it up or down in real time, while on the gas.

Wheelie control, Traction and ride modes are all independent from each other, with dedicated buttons on the switchgear. Aprilia set the Tuono up like a race bike. There is no rain mode. It's Sport, Track and Race. That's it. And the ride mode is simply throttle response and engine braking. Traction, wheelie and ABS are all separate and whatever you want, whenever you want. No having to stop and switch modes or settings for anything except ABS. Everything else can be done instantly, on the fly, on the gas, whatever... It's slick.

The Aprilia's quick shifter is better. It's quicker and it is smoother...

It's a brutal, brilliant bike, IF you have a dealer handy... and it's Italian, so you WILL want a dealer handy... haha

They are both comfortable, they both handle like a dream... with a pipe they both sound glorious... I guess it comes down to, how much power do you want? Do you have a local dealer to support you when something comes up? Do you live in an area where you have more big open spaces or longer flowing high speed track days, where the extra 45hp will benefit you?

If you want to know what a piped Tuono sounds like at full chat...

Overall, both bikes are amazing for what they are designed for. Yes, the Aprilia is faster, but on a twisty Mtn road it can't put that power down.. a nimble street RS will be right on it's arse... If you want power wheelies in 3rd at triple digits, get the Tuono... If you want bragging rights and power and torque that punts you into the next zip code when you look at the throttle, get the Tuono...

If you want something light, revvy, sexy, incredibly agile that does everything from a morning commute to a track day toy really well, get the Street RS.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And before anyone yells at me for doing an infomercial on the Tuono on a Triumph forum, remember that I traded in the Tuono FOR a Triumph... haha

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks again for this, the RS sounds like an awesome bike. The Aprilia sounds great as well, but it’s a fair bit more expensive down here and I’m more into corners than straights.
What I imagine will interest a few people here, including me, is your comparison with the previous model. Especially once you have finished running it in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I can do that as my wife has the 2018 Street RS here, so I now have both the first and second generation RS that I can do back to back runs on... I already ran hers on the dyno, so I will want to run this one and see exactly where each bike is making its power...

Playing with the dash settings and the sound of the OEM muffler. It's pretty damn loud for stock... If it was ugly I would likely be ordering a pipe, but it looks great and sounds... decent... Might leave it alone.

I did remove the intake screen from the stock filter... maybe it improves flow, might increase intake noise a tad...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Holycrap, the new dash looks like ass. They all looks the same and it's hard to tell rpm.

Yeah, I can do that as my wife has the 2018 Street RS here, so I now have both the first and second generation RS that I can do back to back runs on... I already ran hers on the dyno, so I will want to run this one and see exactly where each bike is making its power...

Playing with the dash settings and the sound of the OEM muffler. It's pretty damn loud for stock... If it was ugly I would likely be ordering a pipe, but it looks great and sounds... decent... Might leave it alone.

I did remove the intake screen from the stock filter... maybe it improves flow, might increase intake noise a tad...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holycrap, the new dash looks like ass. They all looks the same and it's hard to tell rpm.
Yeah, that is probably my biggest gripe right there. I prefer the 2018 graphics, by far. I am sure I will get used to it, but the older style had much larger, easier to read at a glance themes...

I am sure they were going for something more "high tech", but they sacrificed usability to get that...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a quick tail tidy and LED blinker install today. Simple LED bars with adhesive tape, and some "L" shelving brackets for the tag.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Those blinkers look great! You going to do anything with the front ones?

EDIT: The GF is on the phone, so I only listened to the 2nd half of your video. Don't know if you mentioned the front ones in the 1st half.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, that is probably my biggest gripe right there. I prefer the 2018 graphics, by far. I am sure I will get used to it, but the older style had much larger, easier to read at a glance themes...

I am sure they were going for something more "high tech", but they sacrificed usability to get that...
I don’t think they had any biker feedback when going for this new design. How could the go from something so good with the round tach display in the previous gen to this 😟
Also disappointing was the vast majority of the bike reviewers at launch not commenting on it. Surely they should of said something then Triumph might of had time to update the software.
A few people are providing feedback to Dealers and direct to triumph, hopefully they can provide an update.

Your tail tidy is awesome. I really like the rear indicator positioning, might see if I can do something similar. Great videos 👍

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those blinkers look great! You going to do anything with the front ones?

EDIT: The GF is on the phone, so I only listened to the 2nd half of your video. Don't know if you mentioned the front ones in the 1st half.
You give your girlfriend access to your phone? Danger! Danger Will Robinson! LOL

I haven't changed the front, and to be honest I probably won't. They look ok. The rear, I hate that giant stalk and in getting rid of that, I had to ditch the whole thing and come up with an alternative for blinkers...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t think they had any biker feedback when going for this new design. How could the go from something so good with the round tach display in the previous gen to this 😟
Also disappointing was the vast majority of the bike reviewers at launch not commenting on it. Surely they should of said something then Triumph might of had time to update the software.
A few people are providing feedback to Dealers and direct to triumph, hopefully they can provide an update.

Your tail tidy is awesome. I really like the rear indicator positioning, might see if I can do something similar. Great videos 👍
Yeah, I would have kept the old graphics, maybe updated them slightly, given the ability to change colors, etc... It didn't need a complete redesign... Luckily it is all software so they could do whatever they want, if they can be bothered...

This new tail gives that little recessed area, so you can find some LED's and tuck them up in there pretty easily...

·
Registered
293 Posts
You give your girlfriend access to your phone? Danger! Danger Will Robinson! LOL

I haven't changed the front, and to be honest I probably won't. They look ok. The rear, I hate that giant stalk and in getting rid of that, I had to ditch the whole thing and come up with an alternative for blinkers...
Lol, no, she was on hers but in the same room. I didn't explain myself well. I was trying to be nice then got tired of it and turned up the volume.

I hear ya on the giant stalk thing. I've got an evotech tail tidy that needs to be installed. I'll probably look at getting the blinkers that come in the UK. I think they do that blinking where it lights up for inside to outside. But for now I've got a few other mods waiting to be installed and have spent enough money this month. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked at tail tidies over the years and frankly, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I am cheap that way. I have a drawer full of $200-$350 pocket knives... but I won't spend $100 on a stamped sheet metal tail tidy... haha

So I just use some L brackets from Home Depot and mount a plate to it. It does force me to get creative with the rear blinkers, but luckily there is no shortage of LED strips and bars these days, that you can find something in the shape and length that you need, pretty easily...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have looked at tail tidies over the years and frankly, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I am cheap that way. I have a drawer full of $200-$350 pocket knives... but I won't spend $100 on a stamped sheet metal tail tidy... haha

So I just use some L brackets from Home Depot and mount a plate to it. It does force me to get creative with the rear blinkers, but luckily there is no shortage of LED strips and bars these days, that you can find something in the shape and length that you need, pretty easily...
I like the quality and fit and finish of the Evotech and how it seals things up well under the tail. I tried a T-Rex on my 2018 and didn't like it. It was basically a piece of sheet metal cut and bent to be a tail tidy. But, I hear ya on not wanting to spend money on certain things but spending more than makes sense on others... I know I've done it many times.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking real good. Those turn signals look great. My local dealer is supposed to get one today but wont be on the showroom till friday...might try to sneak a peak at it.

The grey looks better in your pics than in the promo photos.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I wasn't sure how I would like the grey, but it really pops, especially in the sun... there is a lot of metal flake and I think it looks excellent. Would have preferred the pearl white, but this is fine. I am usually less hung up on the color, more on the features, how it rides, etc...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't sure how I would like the grey, but it really pops, especially in the sun... there is a lot of metal flake and I think it looks excellent. Would have preferred the pearl white, but this is fine. I am usually less hung up on the color, more on the features, how it rides, etc...
Grey might be the one I choose, mainly because it’s easier to clean lol.

Do you have a white light shining on your plate? It’s a requirement here so that it can be read at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And I noticed in your tail tidy video, both bikes still have the rear foot pegs on.
Do you ride with someone on the back?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Grey might be the one I choose, mainly because it’s easier to clean lol.

Do you have a white light shining on your plate? It’s a requirement here so that it can be read at night.
To keep clean, definitely, but it took me 5 minutes to clean mine Sunday. It had 700 miles of "dirt" on it. :)

1 - 20 of 163 Posts