Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after waiting a few months to get the colour I wanted,last week I finally took delivery of my Speedmaster.
I got to ride the bike 106 kilometres from the dealers to home and because of the recent stay at home laws the bike hasn't moved since.
I rarely ride any bike around town and the bike is still being run in,which I prefer to do that up in the hills and make the motor work.
But anyhoo I'm wrapped to finally have the bike in my grubby little hands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats Mate - the Speedmasters' are beautiful bikes and as cool as. After sitting on one, then seeing the new Speed Twin, I struggled making a decision for most of last year. I'm happy with my Speed Twin, though haven't had the chance to really ride it yet (picked it up just over 3 weeks ago). There's Speedmaster the same color as yours that cruises up and down Jomtien beach most nights and I enjoy just watching it go by....if only I could afford 2 bikes....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Mate - the Speedmasters' are beautiful bikes and as cool as. After sitting on one, then seeing the new Speed Twin, I struggled making a decision for most of last year. I'm happy with my Speed Twin, though haven't had the chance to really ride it yet (picked it up just over 3 weeks ago). There's Speedmaster the same color as yours that cruises up and down Jomtien beach most nights and I enjoy just watching it go by....if only I could afford 2 bikes....
Thanks JackBlack.....it's a killer not being able to ride, I feel the pain for us both.
I don't want to ride around the streets in town running the bike in,so I will wait until the travel ban is lifted,even if it's only 50 kilometres,that can be turned into a day ride if you look at the circle from home on a map.,it needs some hills to climb and cut it's teeth on...lol
The Speed Twin caught my eye as well,it is a really nice bike,but I have been eyeing off the speedmaster for about 2 yrs now and had to go for it in the end.
Cheerz

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well done mate great looking speedmaster

I feel your pain about riding restrictions......i am lucky . where i work is listed as an essential industry and its a 120km round trip, but as i am on leave atm no riding?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice one...I’ve had my speedie since early March and have barely clocked up 5,000kms due to State and regional lockdowns ?
A couple of country runs and lots of ‘just for the ride’ local blips. I absolutely love this bike and can’t wait to do some more serious rides again.
I went for the waxed bags, comfort seats, sissy bar and luggage rack options and have put on some new mirrors. Next are some Vance and Hines silencers and x pipe.
Big grin in place every time I ride it or look at it.
?
54ED0388-33D8-4D06-BA3C-9F730B6A4229.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speedie is truly a great bike,I have had a chance to do a few more kilometres and settle into it a little more.
I find the rear brake a little soft and appears not to work to well,I'm going to replace the brake pads with organic pads that should improve the rear braking,failing that the next step will be a 2 piston rear brake caliper

·
Registered
50 Posts
Riders of the New Speedie:
Thought I'd just share a little info I came across, empirically. After running out of fuel (long story) I've determined how much range my bike has after the "miles to empty" countdown hits zero. The answer is: About 25 miles. That's based on my mileage, which is about 49 mpg. Your mileage may vary...
Anyway, thought it might be a good data point for any riders of the new Speedie to have. Stay safe out there!
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Finally, after waiting a few months to get the colour I wanted,last week I finally took delivery of my Speedmaster.
I got to ride the bike 106 kilometres from the dealers to home and because of the recent stay at home laws the bike hasn't moved since.
I rarely ride any bike around town and the bike is still being run in,which I prefer to do that up in the hills and make the motor work.
But anyhoo I'm wrapped to finally have the bike in my grubby little hands.
Hi Jeff,

The Bonneville Speedmaster 2018-20 is the most incredible motorcycle. It is a beautiful bike to ride and enjoy. I have had a lot of good memories since purchasing my SM in 2018. Once I got the handlebars raised up things got more comfortable and am currently saving for the coveted "Corbin Solo Seat" which will make my rides even more enjoyable. Till then, I will make due with the seat that came with it.

Cheers,
Ride safe.
LB
20200502_143000.jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
It is refreshing to find this post and read the comments. Though I've not taken possession of it and won't until next week sometime, I took a test ride yesterday on the SM that I am buying (a blue one, same color as my first Triumph 1971--funny how things go around), noting a very nimble feel in the handling, and the fact that the brakes were weak, especially the front brake. I'm hoping that they just need a break-in period as I had to do with the Bobber when I got it. I'm getting a windshield, bags, and floorboards on it. How far can you go on a tank of gas?

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
It is refreshing to find this post and read the comments. Though I've not taken possession of it and won't until next week sometime, I took a test ride yesterday on the SM that I am buying (a blue one, same color as my first Triumph 1971--funny how things go around), noting a very nimble feel in the handling, and the fact that the brakes were weak, especially the front brake. I'm hoping that they just need a break-in period as I had to do with the Bobber when I got it. I'm getting a windshield, bags, and floorboards on it. How far can you go on a tank of gas?
Congrats on getting the new Speedmaster. I would highly recommend the windshield from Madstad with the lowers. They come in different heights. I had the the 22" on mine. I'm 6' even. From what I have read here, the Triumph one is just too short.

I was getting around 150 miles to the tank. That was one gripe I had. Wish the tank was a bit larger.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Congrats on getting the new Speedmaster. I would highly recommend the windshield from Madstad with the lowers. They come in different heights. I had the the 22" on mine. I'm 6' even. From what I have read here, the Triumph one is just too short.

I was getting around 150 miles to the tank. That was one gripe I had. Wish the tank was a bit larger.
Thank you for the recommendation on Madstad. Hopefully, the Triumph windshield will fit as I'm only 5'4", which is one reason that (like the Bobber) I chose the SM, viz., my feet are firmly on the deck. When I had a T100, they put a Triumph shield on it, and while at first observation it appeared too short, it worked out just fine. I'm hopeful that they same will occur. Thanks on the mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very cool! Exactly like mine!

I‘m looking for ideas on a bag. Something small, and unassuming so as not to take away the look. Just something to take some things mainly back and forth to work.
Been looking at swing arm, and tail bags.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very cool! Exactly like mine!

I‘m looking for ideas on a bag. Something small, and unassuming so as not to take away the look. Just something to take some things mainly back and forth to work.
Been looking at swing arm, and tail bags.
Jimmy,

I've got a Triumph swing arm bag on my Bobber. It's tini-tiny, fitting only a fold-away hat and a bottle of water is about all I can stuff in there. Functionally, it's inert as a bag to even hold a jacket. I'm getting the black Triumph bags loaded to my new SM that will be semi-functional (not huge, but good enough for carrying things). The difficulty with bags is between function and aesthetics, meaning that you can only have one, not both. The stripped-down look always looks cleaner and better, but unless it's perfect weather (which hardly ever happens), then you're stuck with having to depend on other riders to tote your stuff. Perhaps one compromise would be to get one small bag to mount on the tail, as you suggested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My two cents:
I got the Triumph leather panniers for my SM, and I've been very happy. I totally agree about the importance of aesthetics, and in my opinion the Triumph panniers look like they belong on the bike. They're also very versatile. The only downside is that they're not cheap. But I think the fit, the look, and the quality are worth it.
Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the moment I have been using the Triumph backpack that comes with the bike,I have just bought a small tail bag that will hold all my meds, insulin,bottle of water and spare prescription glasses for the hotter months.
I'm waiting on getting a set of Easy brackets and fit them,I have a nice set of really thick leather saddlebags to go on the bike,but the bags might only be fitted for trips away,not too sure on that though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For the moment I have been using the Triumph backpack that comes with the bike,I have just bought a small tail bag that will hold all my meds, insulin,bottle of water and spare prescription glasses for the hotter months.
I'm waiting on getting a set of Easy brackets and fit them,I have a nice set of really thick leather saddlebags to go on the bike,but the bags might only be fitted for trips away,not too sure on that though.
Jeff,

You might want to inspect the stitching at the bottom of the bag. Upon my ride hope from the dealer, mine had a blowout. I just pitched it as I have other backpacks and not wedded to the bag. Fortunately, I didn't loose anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts