Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a bit more complex than that - in 2018 there were (ignoring the LRH) 4 models: A2 S, S, R and RS. The "A2 S" is a smaller capacity bike restricted for a European A2 licence (less than 35kW).

For the 2020 range, there's S, R and RS. However, the S is equivalent to the A2 S - so if you ignore the 660cc bikes, they've gone from three 765 models, S, R and RS to two, R and RS. The 2020 R effectively sits between the 2018 S and R, both in price and equipment.

The 2018 S had LCD, R and RS had TFT. The 2020 R has LCD, the RS has TFT.

The R models all have the red subframe, and the black/red paint looks great. It's not Matt black - the matt colour for the R is Matt Silver Ice (grey/red).
Wow, had to read that a few times... sucks getting old. :D Thanks for putting that together. Effectively, it looks like they streamlined the line-up... which makes sense.

I remember the R models had/have the red subframe. I like my silver subframe, but I know the red is actually sought after by some people. I didn't realize they did a non-matte black/red. The last time I was at the dealer (before the virus hit), all they had were RS models.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think Triumph positioned the 2017-2019 R a little too close to the RS and it cost them some RS sales. A number of review sites said the R was the better street bike thanks to its stronger midrange power and softer suspension, while the RS was the clear choice for anyone doing track days. So Triumph lowered the price of the R and de-contented it (no TFT, different brake master cylinder, etc) to more clearly differentiate if from the RS.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts