Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW, before I bought my 2019 R I had a mint 2006 CBR600F4i. The F4i had an analog tech/LCD speedo and it was OK by me. I didn’t think I would be impressed by any bike’s TFT display, looked too gimmicky...but then I test-rode a 2018 R and instantly fell in love with the TFT. So big, so clear, so easy to read. After I bought my 2019 R I still had my F4i for a while, but it seemed so crude by comparison that I soon sold it. Especially if you’re an old phart with bad eyes, the TFT is da bomb.

·
Registered
105 Posts
FWIW, before I bought my 2019 R I had a mint 2006 CBR600F4i. The F4i had an analog tech/LCD speedo and it was OK by me. I didn’t think I would be impressed by any bike’s TFT display, looked too gimmicky...but then I test-rode a 2018 R and instantly fell in love with the TFT. So big, so clear, so easy to read. After I bought my 2019 R I still had my F4i for a while, but it seemed so crude by comparison that I soon sold it. Especially if you’re an old phart with bad eyes, the TFT is da bomb.
It’s such a shame Triumph ditched a great TFT with the new not good 2020 TFT.
If I was you I would be worried about the rumour the TFT you love is going to be replaced by the 2020 version in a firmware update.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s such a shame Triumph ditched a great TFT with the new not good 2020 TFT.
If I was you I would be worried about the rumour the TFT you love is going to be replaced by the 2020 version in a firmware update.
There's an easy fix for that and it's called 'don' t update' :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm not certain "don't update" is a solution that can be utilized over the long term. The software and firmware the TFT display uses to create the screens doesn't exist in a vacuum. The display gathers data from the engine ECU which has its own software and firmware. These two parts have to communicate harmoniously; otherwise critical data may not be displayed correctly. Updates to one may necessitate updates to the other and we, as consumers, have little say over updates to the ECU for example.

The good news is that shortcomings of the display can be fixed. For me, these include the illegibility of the screen itself when used in bright daylight conditions. I found the graphical tachometer to be almost useless; others on this forum have commented that using the numerical tachometer helps. SquireSCA has a very good YouTube video where he describes in great detail what is wrong with the V3.0 display as he compares it directly to the V1.0 display.

The real solution is to continue to complain to Triumph USA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's probably an issue for those who just bought a 'brand new' 2019 R from the dealer and they're supposed to go there for services and whatnot, and for those who want the BT integration of course. I see it as a tradeoff. Personally, the new TFT of the RS being horrible (I tried it, it really sucks) and the fact that the new R doesn't even have a TFT are probably not the first but surely among the first 3 things that sold me on buying a used one. Plus the fact I found an amazing deal, but that's what it is. I'll do my services and I'll take care very carefully that no dealer updates my graphic. If i'll ever update the ECU, it won't be by any official Triumph dealer, but by some dyno/tuners or whatever they're called. Or maybe me.

Anyway, I still have to find a single one who really likes the new graphics, so I really hope that in Triumph someone will lend a ear to all these voices and leave it as an option. Actually if they're smart they'll offer the option to upload the old one in the new bikes but I can't see this one really happening.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I only received an automated reply when I emailed to complain about the TFT.
Maybe I need to send another email.

Reality is, the TFT display will be the least of their concerns with Covid-19 running riot. We are starting for weeks of country wide lock down tomorrow 😟 So it’s not a big deal for me right now either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only real benefit I can see to the new TFT is that it enables you to see the coolant temp gauge and the trip odo/average MPG info at the same time. Burying the coolant temp in the earlier TFT’s tray wasn’t too smart by Triumph.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I tend to sit with the range showing, but have been known to switch to the coolant view, though I am yet to notice but go above half way. The track is the only place I have seen the bike get a little hot, I think it peaked at 107 C the last time. Still within normal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tend to sit with the range showing, but have been known to switch to the coolant view, though I am yet to notice but go above half way. The track is the only place I have seen the bike get a little hot, I think it peaked at 107 C the last time. Still within normal.
Same here on my display setup, but this is my first non-Japanese motorcycle so I guess I could use a little ”instrumental handholding“ to qualm my concerns about overheating/coolant leaks/etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just watched a video on the new Daytona Moto 2 765. They kept the old style dash (17-19 ST-RS). So maybe they are listening to us. Just hope we can get an update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the Daytona Moto 2 765 was first previewed back in July 2019, over 6 months before the 2020 Street Triple RS was previewed. So that may be why it uses the older TFT design...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the Daytona Moto 2 765 was first previewed back in July 2019, over 6 months before the 2020 Street Triple RS was previewed. So that may be why it uses the older TFT design...
Don't stomp on my hope! Haha. The video was posted by Lamb Chop Rides 8 hours ago. You may be right, but there is a part of me wishing for a change.
I picked my 2020 Street Triple RS two weeks ago and after 200 miles of riding I am set on the second largest tech settings with the RPM in numbers.
Although that doesnt change how much I love this bike! Way better then my 13 ST-R and Ducati 999.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry! The 2020 RS is an awesome bike by any measure, regardless of TFT. What worries me is that I don’t get a strong sense that Triumph is willing to admit they made a mistake and revert to the old design. They are starting to remind me a lot of Apple in many ways...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope you are wrong there! Still wasn't and isn't a deal breaker for me. That is probably what they are banking on right now. I have to admit, it does look pretty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with daktulos. Great summary of the differences between these two bikes.

As far as difference in cost goes, I suggest that is not very important. Does it matter if your payment is, say, $220 every month versus $240? That isn’t going to affect your life at all. Zero.

What affects your financial life is deciding to buy a new bike in the first place. Once you’ve made that decision, get what you want, since a difference of two grand is basically meaningless.

Also there was some discussion of the heated grips in this thread. I have the Triumph factory heated grips on my Bonneville and on my Speed Twin. Tiny switch on the left bar, two levels of heat. It’s a beautifully integrated system and works well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I appreciate everyone who provided their thoughts and opinions with this. As to which model I choose, ultimately I think my decision is going to some down to if I can live with the current display on the TFT screen or not. I'm planning on visiting my dealer in the next few days to spend some time with the demo RS specifically to evaluate the display. For me, it is a question of its legibility. My initial impression was that the display isn't easily readable in daylight and I want to see if adjusting the settings will mitigate this impression.

Kt_231, I think you said it best when you stated Triumph is banking on it not being a deal breaker for folks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I appreciate everyone who provided their thoughts and opinions with this. As to which model I choose, ultimately I think my decision is going to some down to if I can live with the current display on the TFT screen or not. I'm planning on visiting my dealer in the next few days to spend some time with the demo RS specifically to evaluate the display. For me, it is a question of its legibility. My initial impression was that the display isn't easily readable in daylight and I want to see if adjusting the settings will mitigate this impression.

Kt_231, I think you said it best when you stated Triumph is banking on it not being a deal breaker for folks.
I don’t have any issues with reading the display in bright daylight. As long as it’s in the high contrast mode with a white background then it’s fine. If it’s in this mode it’s basically a black and white display, so all the pretty colour options are redundant.
The problem for me is many of the elements are too small to read, like the clock. Also the tach graphic is pretty much impossible to get a sense of where you are in the rev range, unless you stare at the display which is dangerous. You can set the tray to show the revs as a number, sacrificing the display of other attributes.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts