Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2020 R vs. RS model and have a few questions for the forum

21K views 121 replies 19 participants last post by  424246 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently placed a deposit on a 2020 Triumph Street Triple R model knowing it would not be available for a while. After talking with Triumph USA, a while might not be until May or so before these begin to appear in the US. I am trying to decide if I really want to wait that long and am taking another look at the RS model instead.

I know the RS model is a better value when you consider the costs associated with the upgraded rear shock and braking components. These alone exceed the $2K difference in price. I'm not a track junkie...maybe I go 2-3 times a year...and am not sure I would utilize the full benefits of these upgrades over a R model. The two products I would want to change on the R are the mirrors (with bar end mirrors) and the brake/clutch levers (with black ones instead of silver). These are cosmetic and do not need to be done immediately.

I'm curious what you all think? Do these two upgraded components (the rear shock and the braking system) have value for someone who doesn't take their bike to the track much?

The one area of interest to me is the dash, particularly the Bluetooth integration with the MyTriumph app. Has anybody here used this module yet? If so, I would appreciate your feedback as to its performance. I have read all the thoughts on the dash itself; but almost no one has commented on the BT module.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not really answering your question re Bluetooth, but I love the TFT dash on my 2019 R. If I was buying a 2020 Street Triple, I would go for the RS every time, I think all of the upgrades are worth the extra $2K. The comments I’ve seen on on this forum re the Bluetooth module have not been encouraging, try a search on “Bluetooth”and see what pops up. I’m obviously biased, but I think a brand new leftover 2019 R for less than $10K is a very tempting option, especially since the TFT display is by many accounts nicer than the one on the 2020 RS.

#3 ·
I’m obviously biased, but I think a brand new leftover 2019 R for less than $10K is a very tempting option, especially since the TFT display is by many accounts nicer than the one on the 2020 RS.
A million times this. Exactly what I did. Totally pissed off by not having the TFT on the new R I just went for a second hand 2017 R with a ton of accessories, few km and in mint conditions, but if you wanna go this route I suggest you to hurry because at least here all the 0Km you could find by the dealers or the other semi-new ones disappeared from the market in a matter of days.

But to answer your question, between the new R and the new RS I would no doubt go for the RS. Also considering how easy you'll resell it in the future compared to a bike without a TFT.

#4 ·
I absolutely agree the display on the pre-2020 TFT models is much better than the display on the 2020 TFT RS. If Triumph had left the display as it was, this would be a no-brainer decision. I do not like the V3.0 display as found on the 2020 RS.

Unfortunately, there are no new 2019 R's or RS's to be found in my area, or anywhere near my area.

Additionally, Triumph seems to indicate that there will be a point when the pre-2020 models with the TFT screen will require firmware updates that will change the display to that found on the 2020 models anyway.

#8 ·
Additionally, Triumph seems to indicate that there will be a point when the pre-2020 models with the TFT screen will require firmware updates that will change the display to that found on the 2020 models anyway.
Wow, first I've heard of that. Do you have a link to any online stories so I can learn more about that? That would really be a dumb move by Triumph...

#5 ·
I'm seriously considering the R vs RS at the moment (in the UK) for year-round use, not track. Here are my thoughts about the two:

R advantages:
  • simpler, easier to read dash with a real tacho
  • more road-oriented suspension
  • tyres which are more suitable for year-round use
  • cheaper, cheaper, cheaper
RS advantages:
  • TFT display with more tech
  • self-cancelling indicators
  • bar-end mirrors
  • belly-pan
  • more expensive suspension
  • bluetooth module available
  • "better" integrated heated grips available
I don't rate the bluetooth integration from what I've seen, don't care much for the suspension changes and the mirrors and belly pan are available as upgrades for the R. For me, the tyres on the RS are a real negative, plus there's more to go wrong. I test-rode the RS and found the TFT quite hard to read, but I'd no doubt get used to it. I've not had a chance to see the R yet.

For the techie in me, the RS wins, but for actual practical real-world riding, I suspect the R will.

#6 ·
@ daktulos, you summed this up perfectly and I could not agree with you anymore than I already do. I am curious as to what about the grips makes you say the RS model has "better" integrated heated grips over the those available for the R model? Are they not the same?

I have already placed a deposit on the R model; I am just not sure I want to wait until they are finally released. I'm in the US and Triumph USA says it might be another 2 months before the R model makes our shores.

#7 ·
I am curious as to what about the grips makes you say the RS model has "better" integrated heated grips over the those available for the R model? Are they not the same?
With the RS, it's integrated with the TFT and has three levels of heat. The control for the heat level is built into the grip itself (I believe, I've not actually seen them.)

On the R, it's "dual temperature" and there's a big ugly button mounted to the right of the left-hand switchgear which lights up to show the temperature level.

You can see the two parts (if you can access the UK site) here:

RS: Heated Grips | Triumph Motorcycles

R: Heated Grips | Triumph Motorcycles

#9 ·
@ daktulos, thank you for the links to the two heated grips part numbers. I'm going to look into this.

@ Subito, Triumph USA relayed this information to me during a phone call conversation this past week. I asked if the firmware could be regressed to version 1.0 since I like that version better. Triumph said it was possible, but that future dealer service would probably involve firmware updates and that these would change the screen display automatically.

For example, anyone using version 1.0 and wanting the BT integration will absolutely have to upgrade to the version 3.0 software which will change their screen display. Triumph implied there might be future capabilities that would necessitate a firmware chage.

#11 ·
I don't know that I need the BT integration, but I do think it would be nice to have. The two features I'm most interested in are the phone integration and the turn by turn directions.

I can forsee each as beneficial on a daily basis. The music features could be equally as useful depending on what services (music vs. Spotify vs. Tunein, for example) are supported.

#12 ·
Well ok, but they are all features you can have on your 'standalone' phone as well. What I meant to ask probably was: do you really need them in your TFT? Because for phone and music you can use one of those BT intercom things that you may want to have anyway for talking with other bikers or your pillion. As for music then, I can hardly believe anyone's gonna ever enjoy scrolling through the 100Gb of music on their phone while driving a frikken motorbike with gloves, air in the face and whatnot. Imho the integration in the TFT is more of a marketing thing than anything really useful. The turn by turn particularly may be useful to commute or go to the gym at 30 mph but when you go 'somewhere' you'd better have a map to look at.
My 2 cent.

#13 ·
I'm not worried about the BT integration because:
  1. I'm never going to use the GoPro integration
  2. My phone already connects to my helmet for music
  3. The navigation is too limited ...
To expand on the third point, you have to use the MyTriumph app. It's not great, and it's not been updated since version 1.0.0, I don't know how much better it'll get. It uses Google, but I've seen some dodgy routes on it (you can download it and try it out without connecting it to the bike).

I commute into London every day. I know my route (actually several routes) well, but Waze will direct me along the quicker ones. I have to have my phone mounted on the handlebars as the voice prompts aren't enough all the time and sometimes you need to take a quick look at the map.

I had hoped that the Bluetooth integration/TFT would replace this as it's a halfway-house, meaning no phone mount - it wouldn't have a map, but shows the next direction and distance to it (I think). But I'm not sure I'd use it in the same way. If only it would work with third-party apps, it'd be more tempting.

Plus it's expensive ...

#15 ·
@ Proper and @ daktulos...you both make good points. I have lived without any sort of BT integration (on my bikes anyway) up to this point in my life and I'm sure I will live if I do not have it with the Street Triple. I do think having BT integrated with the bike would be most convenient though.

I'm not 100% sold on having the TFT screen found on the RS model. As I said at the beginning, I have placed on deposit on a R model which has a much more basic screen with the analog tach. I'm just not sure I want to wait until May (or later) until it arrives and am trying to figure out if the price difference between the R and RS models is justifiable.

#17 ·
I’ve been riding the 2020 RS for almost two months, and the TFT really sucks!

Part of me hopes Triumph updates everyone to the new 2020 TFT display.
Then I suspect they will get so many complaints they will have to make a change.

I’ve posted here a few times, complained directly to Triumph and my dealer and seen many other comments here and on YouTube complaining about it. I’m amazed Triumph still thinks it’s a good display and are considering rolling it out further. Are any of their decision makers and design team riders?

#18 · (Edited)
I faced the same decision in 2018 and bought the Street Triple R.

First, let me clear up some of the pro/cons:
  • The integrated heated grips on the R are the same as the RS. The control is on the left grip collar and displays on the TFT. No "big ugly button".
  • The R has self cancelling turn indicators.
  • The TFT display lacks the track mode, but has a rider mode that you can set your preferences.
I test rode both the R and RS. I would be happy with either bike. They are both great.

The R has more usable power for street riding with slightly more rear wheel torque and horsepower up to 11,000 rpm. Above that the RS has slightly more horsepower but still a bit less torque, so the RS power band is more track oriented.

I plan to add the Triumph bar end mirrors # A9638117. They cost about $130 each.

I did add a Puig windscreen. Makes a big difference and looks stock.

#19 ·
I faced the same decision in 2018 and bought the Street Triple R.

First, let me clear up some of the pro/cons:
  • The integrated heated grips on the R are the same as the RS. The control is on the left grip collar and displays on the TFT. No "big ugly button".
  • The R has self cancelling turn indicators.
  • The TFT display lacks the track mode, but has a rider mode that you can set your preferences.
All that may have been true for the 2018 model, but the 2020 model has the LCD display, not the TFT one (much as the 2018 S model did). Without the TFT, there needs to be a button for the grips (see the link I posted above which shows it) and the dealer said that the indicators aren't self-cancelling on the R. There is no TFT or rider mode (as far as I'm aware).

#21 ·
FWIW, before I bought my 2019 R I had a mint 2006 CBR600F4i. The F4i had an analog tech/LCD speedo and it was OK by me. I didn’t think I would be impressed by any bike’s TFT display, looked too gimmicky...but then I test-rode a 2018 R and instantly fell in love with the TFT. So big, so clear, so easy to read. After I bought my 2019 R I still had my F4i for a while, but it seemed so crude by comparison that I soon sold it. Especially if you’re an old phart with bad eyes, the TFT is da bomb.

#25 ·
I'm not certain "don't update" is a solution that can be utilized over the long term. The software and firmware the TFT display uses to create the screens doesn't exist in a vacuum. The display gathers data from the engine ECU which has its own software and firmware. These two parts have to communicate harmoniously; otherwise critical data may not be displayed correctly. Updates to one may necessitate updates to the other and we, as consumers, have little say over updates to the ECU for example.

The good news is that shortcomings of the display can be fixed. For me, these include the illegibility of the screen itself when used in bright daylight conditions. I found the graphical tachometer to be almost useless; others on this forum have commented that using the numerical tachometer helps. SquireSCA has a very good YouTube video where he describes in great detail what is wrong with the V3.0 display as he compares it directly to the V1.0 display.

The real solution is to continue to complain to Triumph USA.

#26 ·
That's probably an issue for those who just bought a 'brand new' 2019 R from the dealer and they're supposed to go there for services and whatnot, and for those who want the BT integration of course. I see it as a tradeoff. Personally, the new TFT of the RS being horrible (I tried it, it really sucks) and the fact that the new R doesn't even have a TFT are probably not the first but surely among the first 3 things that sold me on buying a used one. Plus the fact I found an amazing deal, but that's what it is. I'll do my services and I'll take care very carefully that no dealer updates my graphic. If i'll ever update the ECU, it won't be by any official Triumph dealer, but by some dyno/tuners or whatever they're called. Or maybe me.

Anyway, I still have to find a single one who really likes the new graphics, so I really hope that in Triumph someone will lend a ear to all these voices and leave it as an option. Actually if they're smart they'll offer the option to upload the old one in the new bikes but I can't see this one really happening.

#27 ·
I only received an automated reply when I emailed to complain about the TFT.
Maybe I need to send another email.

Reality is, the TFT display will be the least of their concerns with Covid-19 running riot. We are starting for weeks of country wide lock down tomorrow ? So it’s not a big deal for me right now either.

#31 ·
I tend to sit with the range showing, but have been known to switch to the coolant view, though I am yet to notice but go above half way. The track is the only place I have seen the bike get a little hot, I think it peaked at 107 C the last time. Still within normal.

#35 ·
Don't stomp on my hope! Haha. The video was posted by Lamb Chop Rides 8 hours ago. You may be right, but there is a part of me wishing for a change.
I picked my 2020 Street Triple RS two weeks ago and after 200 miles of riding I am set on the second largest tech settings with the RPM in numbers.
Although that doesnt change how much I love this bike! Way better then my 13 ST-R and Ducati 999.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.