Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys seeing any black soot in the end of your stock muffler? Is this normal? I figure these Euro5 motors would be running lean and was surprised to see any soot after 1500 miles.

I don't see any on my wife's 2018 RS, and she has the Yosh slipon...

Makes me wonder how long before the CAT's get choked up?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The soot is dry, powdery... Not greasy or wet...

Was just curious... I normally associate that with running rich but I highly doubt that a Euro5 motor is running rich in stock form...

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Mine looks exactly like the photo above. I did wipe my finger and guess what it came back dirty! I would not call it either greasy or sooty, just dirty, nothing I would not expect. I will say that after a hard weekend racing the other day my oil level did not drop at all so I do not think I am burning oil. That mens the blackness is probably carbon?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I will check my oil level this morning cold, and I will be up in the Mtns riding pretty aggressively all day, and I will see how much carbon builds up during the day and if it consumes any oil.

The bike runs great, I don't see or smell anything weird in the exhaust...

My Tuono would consume half a liter of oil every 1,000 miles, and the factory said that anything up to .9 L per 1000 miles was acceptable... That seems like a lot to me, but who knows...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My carbon isn't oily or wet at all... It's totally dry... It could just be coincidence that my oil was a few ounces lower, I had done an oil change recently and maybe I didn't top it off as much as I thought. But I checked it this morning after it had all night to settle into the oil pan, and I will check it tomorrow morning and see if it dropped any during today's ride.

It runs fine and if it uses a few ounces every 1000 miles I am fine with that, a lot of bikes from different manufacturers do...

My concern with a bit of carbon, is the CATs...

Hopefully Tune ECU drops a map file for this bike, and I can install my slipon, which will get rid of one of the cats, and then tune it properly...

my tuner did say that you can get carbon from a lean bike. He said under some conditions, a lean fueled motor won't get a complete or efficient burn, and that can allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust and some carbon...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put 175 miles on it today and it runs perfect. The carbon only seems to be near the tip(giggity)... I looked down into the exhaust with a flashlight and it all looks like clean, bare metal...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran it hard this weekend and it didn't seem to consume any oil, and it ran like a champ... Who knows, maybe I got a batch of crappy gas or something...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts