Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this sound right...$2000 for that? Thats not including tax. The overal cost out the door on this bike they list at $10k is $13k. That just sounds way wrong to me. They have two 2020's same color and all brand new but old stock. I wondered why they never sold, now i think i know. That can't be right can it? 1/3 the cost of the bike itself added to the total for tax and fees? With that and $6.40 a gallon gas i think i'm gonna start riding bicycles !

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yup. Crazy. Noticed that also on my recent searches for a possible new bike. They are all doing it. Here is a copy of a quote I got about 6 months ago on a new Triumph T100 I was looking at. Got another quote for a Street Twin recently that had about the same crazy charges and included a "commodity charge" that all manufactures are doing now. That commodity charge basically raises the price of the bike without it showing on the MSRP. Sneaky. But us motorcycle lovers will end up paying it if we really want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. Crazy. Noticed that also on my recent searches for a possible new bike. They are all doing it. Here is a copy of a quote I got about 6 months ago on a new Triumph T100 I was looking at. Got another quote for a Street Twin recently that had about the same crazy charges and included a "commodity charge" that all manufactures are doing now. That commodity charge basically raises the price of the bike without it showing on the MSRP. Sneaky. But us motorcycle lovers will end up paying it if we really want it.
By the way, what is a "lifetime battery"?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i've looked at the entire central Ca CL and theres a '22 street twin as new in there i'd potentially buy except it's a 6 hour drive and i have no way to get there aside from driving myself.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
U-Haul pickup... $19.95 a day.
I did that less than a year ago when i moved, tho a trailer and small turck because no safe way to get a bike into a p/u and i needed truck space for moving. The truck and trailer were something like $40 a day total. All tolled the total cost was almost $800. The daily price is a fraction of the actual cost. My trip was 300 miles total and they charge by the mile. This would be 800 miles total or 2.5 times as far. I hate to think what the total would be. (lowest cost they have is around a buck/mile) not counting the $6.30 a gallon that gas in California is right now in a truck that will probably get 20 MPG. Actually they don't have pickups that will pull a trailer so i'd need the same small truck i moved with which got 10-12 MPG. You see where i'm going here? May as well just buy that bonnie from the dealer, it would be the same price if not cheaper when all is said and done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Used bikes are out there. You just have to be patient and persistent. I was ready to finally pull the trigger on a new tiger 850. OTD pricing was $14,500 at the two somewhat local dealers. I ended up finding a 21 model with 925 miles on it in the color I was looking for 2 hrs away. All in with taxes, title, plates, etc I saved $2,700 off buying a new one. That savings will pay for any and all farkles I want to put on it.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
$13K represents a full retail deal. It takes about an hour to remove the bike from the packing crate and set it up. Freight anywhere in the country shouldn't be more than about $600, and that's high-siding the estimate. Make the dealer an out-the-door offer. $11K if you want to haggle, $12K if you really want the bike. These are cash offers. A trade-in or needing financing cost the dealer money and muddy the waters.

·
Premium Member
2018 Speedmaster, 2008 Sprint ST
154 Posts
$2000 is too much butter on their bread. I ran into a similar scenario when I picked up my new leftover’18 Speedmaster in summer ‘19. They had marked the bike down to $10k (from $13,200 MSRP) but added $1200 for freight and prep. I thought THAT was high but was okay with the overall savings…$2000 is too much padding unless you’re paying an overall fair price to get what you want.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$13K represents a full retail deal. It takes about an hour to remove the bike from the packing crate and set it up. Freight anywhere in the country shouldn't be more than about $600, and that's high-siding the estimate. Make the Replydealer an out-the-door offer. $11K if you want to haggle, $12K if you really want the bike. These are cash offers. A trade-in or needing financing cost the dealer money and muddy the waters.
I asked, they won't go any lower.They have my phone # and if they call me in a few days which i bet they do after giving me a few days to change my mind, i'll ask them why r u calling me, i asked for a better deal and u said it's as low as u can go. If then admits it's not then i'll make and offer and tell them thats my max. I detest these salesman games. Much too old to be fooled and tired of the stupid ritual and if they don't want to do it on my terms i'm good with walking away. Lets see if THEY are.

·
Registered
2022 Speedmaster
543 Posts
I bought my 22 Speedmaster 3 weeks ago. They weren't charging any freight or setup fee. None, zero, zip, nada couldnt believe it myself. I scanned the contract several times, nothing there. The price on the contract is exactly what was on the bike in the showroom.
Then to really sweeten the deal, they didnt add anything to the finance rate.
I didnt get anything off the listed price on the bike, but that's ok. They didnt add any bs fees either, and got a great interest rate.
I even got a few hundred off the extended service contract.

It was the easiest buying experience I've ever had.
Your dealer is waiting for that 1 guy that just has to have that bike. You forgot 1 thing when you left that dealer, to laugh at them on the way out.

Reactions: Mawni

·
Registered
546 Posts
I did that less than a year ago when i moved, tho a trailer and small turck because no safe way to get a bike into a p/u and i needed truck space for moving. The truck and trailer were something like $40 a day total. All tolled the total cost was almost $800. The daily price is a fraction of the actual cost. My trip was 300 miles total and they charge by the mile. This would be 800 miles total or 2.5 times as far. I hate to think what the total would be. (lowest cost they have is around a buck/mile) not counting the $6.30 a gallon that gas in California is right now in a truck that will probably get 20 MPG. Actually they don't have pickups that will pull a trailer so i'd need the same small truck i moved with which got 10-12 MPG. You see where i'm going here? May as well just buy that bonnie from the dealer, it would be the same price if not cheaper when all is said and done.
That was a one way rental and costs a lot more. You can rent a trailer for $35 all day local rental if you have a vehicle to pull it. Drive down and back with no charge for mileage.

Or rent a pickup for $19.95 all day and the trailer for $35 all day.

The dealer probably won't call you back so you have to decide which is more important to you, but remmeber that the way the dealer is treating you before the sale won't improve after they have your money.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I asked, they won't go any lower.They have my phone # and if they call me in a few days which i bet they do after giving me a few days to change my mind, i'll ask them why r u calling me, i asked for a better deal and u said it's as low as u can go. If then admits it's not then i'll make and offer and tell them thats my max. I detest these salesman games. Much too old to be fooled and tired of the stupid ritual and if they don't want to do it on my terms i'm good with walking away. Lets see if THEY are.
They're off their rocker. I bought my 2020 T120 in March of 2020 for $11,150 plus tax and tag no freight or prep. This is 2022,that leftover is 2 years old,they need to get real.

·
Registered
2017 T120
684 Posts
My recent experience on a Trident. List is $8,395
One dealer quoted $11k out the door. Blame went to inbound shipping cost increases over the past year.
Another smaller dealer quoted me $10k out the door.
Pays to check around. I'm hoping to see a good used one at some point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was a one way rental and costs a lot more. You can rent a trailer for $35 all day local rental if you have a vehicle to pull it. Drive down and back with no charge for mileage.

Or rent a pickup for $19.95 all day and the trailer for $35 all day.

The dealer probably won't call you back so you have to decide which is more important to you, but remmeber that the way the dealer is treating you before the sale won't improve after they have your money.
No, it was 2 ways. I moved all my things, came back and dropped the truck/trailer off at the place i rented it from then drove my car back to the new house.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're off their rocker. I bought my 2020 T120 in March of 2020 for $11,150 plus tax and tag no freight or prep. This is 2022,that leftover is 2 years old,they need to get real.
I agree, but u know how it is....if a dealer is like this u can't change them. It's the way they do business for whatever reason. Guess it works for them somehow. I could tell them all day long how other dealer like yours do it and it won't phase them. I'm old man, i've been there and done that all my life and i know how it goes. Dealers are not buildings with merchandice, dealers are people, And people vary wildly in how they deal with things. This dealer does it their way and yours their's. Nothing i can do about it unless like i said above they call me after a few days which will prove they are desperite and were just hoping i'd give in and call them back. At that point i will tell them what i've learned in this thread and make my counter offer letting them know it's that way or the higway and after that the answer whatever it is will be final. But i have dealt with places like this all my life and they more often than not won't budge. I've done a lot of wheeling and dealing and won many times, but just as often if not more i don't. I've had salesmen run out to the parking lot after i have left a business when they told me they can't do a deal that i said will be my final offer and catch me as i'm getting in my car to give in and accept my deal ! Thats happened more than once. But this dealer seems like one of those "our terms or don't waste our time" kinda places. Well shall see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts