Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

What are the chances that the autoblipper from the new +2020 765 RS will work on the 2017-2020 765 RS models?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
When they first announced the new bike there was a thread here with a post that said it is not compatible but I am not sure that is gospel. It would be great if it was so that might just be wishful thinking from me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As long as I am concerned it's not just software. The gearbox went through some changes to be compatible with the autoblipper. I think that's from the factory perspective mostly reliability concern. It wouldn't be nice to have some issues on previous models. But on the other hand it'd be even more nonsense to change bikes from 2019 to 2020 with the autoblipper compatibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Contacted my local dealer in Toronto, and they said it won't be compatible. Bluetooth module will be an available upgrade though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why not go for the HM Quickshifter Blipper?
I am waiting for mine to be delivered for my 765 R -17 ...
I guess even if the oem were retrofitable it would be more expensive...
Cheers!
/M

·
Vendor
140 Posts
I can't offer an autoblipper, but I can offer a Quick Shifter (upshift only) for a lot less than HM will charge you for the priviledge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the 44teeth review, they said they asked an engineer if it was possible, the answer was that it could not be retrofitted because there are changes to the gearbox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why not go for the HM Quickshifter Blipper?
I am waiting for mine to be delivered for my 765 R -17 ...
I guess even if the oem were retrofitable it would be more expensive...
Cheers!
/M
Hmm, hadn't looked into it. Looks interesting. I guess you'd be replacing the existing Quickshifter. Anyone know if its as good? Any first hand experience with it on the bike?

Anyone know why this will work with the 2017 RS, but Triumph Shift Assist won't? Or is it just that they don't want to fit it on older bikes. I'd assume HM and Triumph are using the same approach

·
Registered
16 Posts
Without knowing, My guess is that The Triumph blipp is an integrated part of the ECU, whilst the HM blipp is a piggy back solution. Unlike DrGonzo615 I don´t think there is any mechanical differenses on the gearbox, what would those be?
Cheers!
M

·
Vendor
140 Posts
I think Tripleboo is pretty close to the answer. I can't see any reason for a change to the gear box - the shift mechanism is still being stirred by the rider's foot, with no solenoid shift that I'm aware of. It's simplay a matter that the '17-19 models have the Quick Shift function built into the ECU, but not an AutoBlip routine. In addition, the wiring would be different (3 wires vs 2 for the QS, at the very least) meaning the 2-switch AB sensor can't be plugged in.

There are probably two levels to the HM AB kit. The simplest is just the sensor and adaptor rods, like I sell for the QS kits; it plugs into the '20 model and probably costs less that the Triumph unit. The second is a piggy-back controller that drives the TBs for the earlier models - now, THAT will be an expensive piece of kit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Without knowing, My guess is that The Triumph blipp is an integrated part of the ECU, whilst the HM blipp is a piggy back solution. Unlike DrGonzo615 I don´t think there is any mechanical differenses on the gearbox, what would those be?
Cheers!
M
Per that interview that @DrGonzo615 mentioned, they removed the backlash gears. I don't know anything about this stuff, but that's what I remember them saying.

EDIT:
Like I said, I don't know anything about this, but he actually says "anti-backlash gears".

2020 Triumph Street Triple RS | Road + Track Review

·
Vendor
140 Posts
Perhaps they feel that with the ECU-assisted shifts, the change won't be as clunky. The presence or absence of those gears still wouldn't prohibit or interfere with the installation of any AB equipment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts