Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a review of the the new Scrambler 1200XE. Why is it they always come out with the exact bike I would like after I already bought a bike? The Scrambler 1200 XE takes care of all the complaints I have with my T120. It has spoked rims that accept tubeless tires, tire sizes that you actually have a choice of decent dual sport tires, various modes of both ABS and traction control (to me a really big deal as I do a lot of riding off the pavement), LED lighting, about 50 lb less weight, lower stock gearing. What a nice bike!

My only complaints : the high pipes & cat converter. After owning several street machines with high pipes over the years, I have always found them to be uncomfortable warm on a hot summer day while cruising down the road. The tests I have read confirm that is still the case on this bike. And secondly, it seems a bit expensive at $15,400. So I don't think I will trade my T120 in yet, but what a nice bike!

·
Registered
263 Posts
It’s more than I’m spending on a bike this round. But you do seem to get a lot of capability. It’s also a bit taller than I’d like, but it’s unreasonable to expect a bike with any off road pretensions to be as short as I’d like. There’s no hideous tank seam! That needs to spread across the Bonneville line pronto. Argree about the high pipes but it’s practically a requirement on a Triumph Scrambler.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’d love the opportunity to ride one. It looks like a brilliant bike that could do almost any type of riding conditions.

If I were to get one, i’d have to have the white/green one. Not a big fan of matte paint finishes (for the XC version anyways). And the low seat.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have a 900 scrambler and its not an issue. It gets a bit warm but the heat coming off these water cooled models on the opposite side is just as bad.
This bike is a beast. When I looked at it on the weekend my first reaction was "whooaah' after sitting on it and moving it around it actually carries the size and weight pretty well.
I'm 6 foot tall with short legs and both feet can touch on the balls only. The static sag wasn't set and it was taller than my Husky 300 enduro!!
All you shorties out there, good luck not feeling intimidated by this beast. I know one of the salesman at the shop can't go near it. But if your a good rider, you don't need 2 feet on the ground anyway.
On the converse the speed twin feels too small for me. It's a little bike in feel and visual.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, I rode the XE a few days ago and it's a great and easy bike to ride.
Tried to get as much varied road types as I could, short of taking the demo off road.

To disclose, I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, so can barely get tip toes down. But with duck disease (@rse low to the ground) and having ridden tall bikes all my life and I own a GSA, that does not worry me one iota.

I found the balance about perfect, anything above standstill and it feels poised; none of the tip over feeling you get sitting on the big Tex at near standstill, for example.

This bike has fantastic and well sorted suspension, that's without any fine tuning at all. High speed and low speed cornering was too easy, threw the thing at every pothole and rut I could find to unsettle it and no ways...

Did not get any noticeable turbulence off the had guards, a fly screen to lessen the load on the chest above 80mph would be a definite nicety.

The seat was hard, but comfy enough over the couple of hours test ride. I did briefly try the low seat option and found it cutting into my thighs, so can't say I'll get that option.

Bearing in mind it was February in Scotland, I can't say there was any heat off the exhaust. I made a point of touching the heat shields front and rear and were cool enough to touch easily. The exhaust tucks into the frame nicely, so standing up is easy, when needed. A pillion will have a slightly wider than normal stance on the right, but not so bad I didn't think.

Biggest disappointment? The Arrows option only comes in EU homologated version and the bigger header bores mean I wont be able to carry over my high level catless pipes from the SS.

Anyway after a long tale, I pulled the trigger and pick up a new on sometime in March.

Second biggest disappointment, the part exchange on the SS is an eye wateringly paltry sum...
Now to explain to the missus where the holiday fund went!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I rode the XE a few days ago and it's a great and easy bike to ride.
Tried to get as much varied road types as I could, short of taking the demo off road.

To disclose, I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, so can barely get tip toes down. But with duck disease (@rse low to the ground) and having ridden tall bikes all my life and I own a GSA, that does not worry me one iota.

I found the balance about perfect, anything above standstill and it feels poised; none of the tip over feeling you get sitting on the big Tex at near standstill, for example.

This bike has fantastic and well sorted suspension, that's without any fine tuning at all. High speed and low speed cornering was too easy, threw the thing at every pothole and rut I could find to unsettle it and no ways...

Did not get any noticeable turbulence off the had guards, a fly screen to lessen the load on the chest above 80mph would be a definite nicety.

The seat was hard, but comfy enough over the couple of hours test ride. I did briefly try the low seat option and found it cutting into my thighs, so can't say I'll get that option.

Bearing in mind it was February in Scotland, I can't say there was any heat off the exhaust. I made a point of touching the heat shields front and rear and were cool enough to touch easily. The exhaust tucks into the frame nicely, so standing up is easy, when needed. A pillion will have a slightly wider than normal stance on the right, but not so bad I didn't think.

Biggest disappointment? The Arrows option only comes in EU homologated version and the bigger header bores mean I wont be able to carry over my high level catless pipes from the SS.

Anyway after a long tale, I pulled the trigger and pick up a new on sometime in March.

Second biggest disappointment, the part exchange on the SS is an eye wateringly paltry sum...
Now to explain to the missus where the holiday fund went!
Very good review of the bike! Thank you for that. ??️??

Do you think it would be good as a all round bike?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Onya Dave.! I got offered a pretty ordinary trade as well
The main issue I'm having trouble with is it's such a big bike, it would probably not scream out to me from the garage to just take it for a quick spin to the shops. While it does push around easier than the 900 it just has a whole big bike big ride feel about it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very good review of the bike! Thank you for that. ??️??

Do you think it would be good as a all round bike?
I really do. It's been said before and I agree, this is essentially a thoroughly modern naked adventure bike with some retro styling. Daily rider, easy, something a little different looking but thoroughly capable in that market for which it's intended.
If the idea is to do big mileage adventure touring, the smallish tank and limited luggage options for the exhaust side might be considered a small compromise. Personally, I don't think so, especially if solo, a decent tail bag is all I need and a fuel bladder for the in case stretches will sort that quick enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Onya Dave.! I got offered a pretty ordinary trade as well
The main issue I'm having trouble with is it's such a big bike, it would probably not scream out to me from the garage to just take it for a quick spin to the shops. While it does push around easier than the 900 it just has a whole big bike big ride feel about it.

I hear you, mate, that is true. Ideal world I'd simply add this to the stable and keep the SS, which I still love as that real fun ride it like you stole machine. Which I guess confirms you don't need the big HP to really enjoy a great ride.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, did the deed and took delivery today, first XE delivered in Glasgow, I believe...
I can honestly say this is one of the nicest rides I’ve had and that’s not just the honeymoon phase talking.

Feast your eyes folks, couple of pictures on collection today. I will add some more farkles in time, but this is a good start. All Triumph parts apart from the bag on the seat, which is a bag I’ve had for about 10 years. Almost looks like I’m off on an adventure, wish it was true...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nice Dave, now go and get some mud on it!
I was all set to do the swap but i don't have much work unfortunately, only 6 days this month so that puts me back 3 months.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I was all set to do the swap but i don't have much work unfortunately, only 6 days this month so that puts me back 3 months.
Actually, he may not want to get mud on it yet. According to a review I saw the other day, the group clogged up the radiator and overheated while running the high front fender. They recommended the standard fender as it is more effective at keeping crap outta the radiator.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Actually, he may not want to get mud on it yet. According to a review I saw the other day, the group clogged up the radiator and overheated while running the high front fender. They recommended the standard fender as it is more effective at keeping crap outta the radiator.
Interesting. It still has a small fender near the wheel. I have a raised one on my 900 and Ive muddied it up but not overheated.
Do you remember the vid? Be interested to see how long they rode it etc to overheat it

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Interesting. It still has a small fender near the wheel. I have a raised one on my 900 and Ive muddied it up but not overheated.
Do you remember the vid? Be interested to see how long they rode it etc to overheat it

It's a good vid, but he talks about the fender at ~8:30 in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks mate and sorry to hear you have a minor setback, don't worry you'll get there soon enough!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Obvious problem with a centrally mounted radiator. The high fender is more for show than anything, there is still a small mud guard in the original position. Plus, and that's why I've got an extension to fit. Need it for the salt and crud off the tarmac, let alone the mud. The other minor problem is the risk of clogging the mud guard with mud, but again an easy remedy

·
Registered
49 Posts
How are the stock mirrors? Can you actually see what's behind you, or are you just looking at your shoulders?

If you want to use bar end mirrors, you have to lose the hand guards, correct?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 245 Posts