Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been looking into engine/fuel tank crash bars a little more since I saw a YouTube video of a guy who crashed his Tiger 800 XC (2018) and found out the hard way that the lower engine guards that his XC came with (Triumph) are mounted to the lower engine case - and if you break the lower mount (bolt hole) the bar is attached to - then you need to replace the entire lower engine case :oops:.

I'm trying to find a set of crash bars that attach only to the frame and not any engine components - I've had little luck as many of the crash bars out there seem to attach to an engine component - or the pic makes it look that way,

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated,

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last month I installed a set of the full sized Heed bars on my 2018. I felt they did a good job of mounting, but the do mount to the engine. There really is no choice as the frame does not extend below the motor, since the motor is a integral part of the frame. The Heed bars attach to three points of the frame, but the lower points are all to the motor. I think what you are looking for does not exist.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last month I installed a set of the full sized Heed bars on my 2018. I felt they did a good job of mounting, but the do mount to the engine. There really is no choice as the frame does not extend below the motor, since the motor is a integral part of the frame. The Heed bars attach to three points of the frame, but the lower points are all to the motor. I think what you are looking for does not exist.
Thanks etdown,

I think I appreciate the lower contact points which are held by small screws - hopefully those are the designed points of failure. I feel like the bolts that mount the Triumph engine guards to the engine case are just a bit too beefy and would result in the lower case taking all the energy and thus breaking...

Thanks for the input,

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was doing this research as well and found that Givi offers a bar that mounts to the lower foot peg bracket, the upper frame bracket, and the upper engine mount. It looks like the least destructive design. I can not speak to the quality but they seem promising....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the bars

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks JP,

I've been eyeing up these ones - just wished there was more than one pic of them, I like how Holan takes multiple pics of the attachment points etc..

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts