Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, new to the website... hello everyone!

I have had a 2019 street scrambler 900 for about 6 months now and LOVE IT, by no means am I here because of an underpowered situation. That being said, I am always looking for upgrades to get the absolute most out of this machine.

So far I have installed the Following:

• BC competition Headers
  • Vance and Hines Slip-on
  • K&N air filter
After which I took to my local dealer to reset the “self-learning” ECU. Works wonderfully! The sound is unmatched in my personal opinion. It’s not a rocket racer loud, but it has SUCH a nice twin rumble.

I have been working with EDR performance here in Oregon to get a power commander and tune it with all the add-one in mind. While working with them, they mentioned they would want to replace the air filter to something better.. got me thinking. What else can I improve on?

what have people found to be worthy/note able upgrades to their liquid cooled 2019 scramblers? I have heard about the cam shaft upgrade for the air cooled models and am curious if there is a cam shaft out there for the 2019.

Lets see what people have done to theirs?! I will follow up with some pictures tomorrow for people to see my set-up. Have also done quite a bit of performance modifications.

thanks all!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why use a power commander when I believe you can now directly map the standard ECU

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why use a power commander when I believe you can now directly map the standard ECU

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The stock ECU (from what I’ve been told) can be “reset” or put to specific tunes depending on the Triumph accessories added. For instance, my local dealer installed the Vance and Hines map. However these are still restricted. The only reason there are alternate tunes available is because they were approved through Triumph.

If you really want to get the most out of your bike it is highly recommended to get a power commander for total manipulation of the ECU.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The stock ECU (from what I’ve been told) can be “reset” or put to specific tunes depending on the Triumph accessories added. For instance, my local dealer installed the Vance and Hines map. However these are still restricted. The only reason there are alternate tunes available is because they were approved through Triumph.

If you really want to get the most out of your bike it is highly recommended to get a power commander for total manipulation of the ECU.
Earlier this year (in August or September) TuneECU was able to reverse engineer the encryption keys needed to download and upload ECU data to water-cooled Triumphs. There is a big thread on it here, but also just out TuneECUs website. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
682 Posts

a power commander is far from total manipulation of the ECU.
As others have said TuneECU now gives you access to modify the standard triumph maps and has far more options than a power commander, plenty of threads on this forum for more information.
Power commanders still have their place though, it may be be quicker and cheaper to map the fuelling on a dyno using a power commander, you can then import the power commander file in to tune ECU and modify the original triumph map and then sell the power commander or use it on another bike.
More tuners are now able to use tune ECU directly on the dyno but it's a longer process than a power commander tune because the data cannot be changed while bike is running and it takes time to download each modification.
Also I didn't realise triumph did a Vance and Hines map, they don't for the Thruxton r anyway, there's only one map and it's labelled standard fuelling and Vance and Hines accessory slip-on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, new to the website... hello everyone!

Lets see what people have done to theirs?! I will follow up with some pictures tomorrow for people to see my set-up. Have also done quite a bit of performance modifications.

thanks all!
THANK YOU for posting this. I'm in the same boat in that I just got a 2019 Street Scrambler and would like to squeeze a little more juice out of it, except that (1) I don't want to void the warranty or kill the resale value (2) I don't want to make it significantly louder. Would you say that is the case with your upgrades? Also, I thought I saw something about those headers being for "competition only". Is that just something companies are required to say, or will cops actually cite you for that? It seems like the air filter is a quick and easy fix, but I've been reading mixed reviews on whether or not it makes any difference.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've got the same motor in my '19 Street Twin and I happy with the performance, and the 18% gain in power over previous years. It's a perfect mix of torque an hp. for me, I have no need to ride over 100 mph, or even 85 for that matter. Fueling is perfect with no surging or throttle lag. I suggest you spend the $$$ on gas and ride more rather then chase more powa. If I felt the need to make any performance improvement it would be the suspension first. Don't know about the Scrambler suspension. Hard to believe I'm getting 57.33 mpg..... amazing!!

I took a test ride on both the Street and the Speed Twin. If I felt the need for more performance I'd own the Street Twin.

Paul

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whilst I wouldn't want to dampen the OP's enthusiasm, but I'm with roadscum with this. Whilst others might be upset by this, the Street Scrambler isn't a good base for a high performance bike.

Whilst this may upset a few, in my opinion if you feel the need to increase the performance the best way is to take it to the dealer and trade up to the 1200 XC.

If you're insistent on improving the SS, the suspension would be the place to start,

Don't get me wrong, the Street Scrambler is an awesomely brilliant bike, but what it's awesomely brilliant at is cruising in a relaxed and leisurely way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speaking of suspension, has anyone found an upgrade for the new cartridge forks on the 2019 SS? I was fortunate that my dealer offered to include the Fox Shock upgrade without me even asking! However, I'd like to improve the compliance of the front suspension. The only upgrades I've found are for the earlier SS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whilst I wouldn't want to dampen the OP's enthusiasm, but I'm with roadscum with this. Whilst others might be upset by this, the Street Scrambler isn't a good base for a high performance bike.

Don't get me wrong, the Street Scrambler is an awesomely brilliant bike, but what it's awesomely brilliant at is cruising in a relaxed and leisurely way.
I totally get that. The SS was sitting right next to all those higher performance bikes at the dealership and I picked it out because I'm looking for exactly as you say, a relaxed and leisurely ride. I just like to know that I've unlocked the full potential of my chosen bike. But from what I've been reading so far, it sounds like Triumph already made the bike pretty efficient and there isn't some magic part causing a big HP bottleneck I can replace to see huge gains. I'm still really interested in replacing the exhaust, but now maybe more for aesthetic reasons. I'm realizing the stock scrambler exhaust just doesn't quite fit the vintage look of the bike IMO. I'm going somewhere between vintage or Mad Max... or vintage Mad Max?... If I replace the exhaust with something sexier and it nets me a little extra HP in the process, all the better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts