Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just finished a jaunt to Sturgis and beyond, covering 3,250 miles on my R1200RT. I ran hard at various times hitting 80+ mph for sustained periods of time. RPMs got to 4,000 or slightly over but most of the time stayed below 4,000.

On the Tiger that same 80+ mph gets the bike to over 5,000 RPMs. This is my third Triumph [America and Rocket 3 Touring] and this just seems to run at a higher RPM than either of those bikes.

Has anyone had any concerns or issues with the high RPMs at sustained speeds?

I would assume they designed this into the bike and motor but since this is a good educational forum, I thought I would ask the experts on here.

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have earlier motors (955 and 1050) but you're only at halfway to the red line.
I'd just keep an eye on the oil level at the end of the day and not worry otherwise.
They do like to be kept spinning. I try to keep the RPMs at 4000 and above on mine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You'd probably not be comfortable with my sons 1997 Suzuki GSX250F (250cc, w/cooled 4 cyl, DOHC, 16 valve screamer). It'll sit on 14000 rpm all day with plenty in reserve for when you want to go hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TC,

You guessed right - I would not be comfortable at 14,000 RPMs. Riding your son's bike I would feel like I am waiting for a the point of a steel rod to come slicing through the side case into my calf muscle.

Based on the feedback I will continue to hammer it as I see fit and not worry as I will never get close to the red line.

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
750 Posts
No need to worry about that happening. The 4cyl 250s (CBR250RR, GSX250R, ZX-R 250, FZR250 and variants) built by each of the Japanese manufacturers through the 1990s have proven astonishingly durable with 70-80,000km examples still running sweetly. I have three, shall we say senior, friends (aka 'Old Farts Racing') currently regularly racing early 90s CBR250RRs. Each of them has over 50,000km on the odo and they happily scream around Eastern Creek at 18,000 - 20,000rpm and then sit in the pits idling at 1500rpm as quiet as mice.

This video features some of these bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jaffa,

Just my thought based on the sound of high engine RPMs and past experience - having things let loose at high RPMs.

I have driven many different vehicles but not many different bikes. I noticed the difference in engine RPM and sound, hence the question.

Thanks,
David.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Why do you think 5000 is high rpm's, what is the redline on the 1200? It should run for weeks on end at 5k.
My thoughts exactly. I don't understand the concern at all, is 4K the universal safe RPMs? Run it at 8k all day, all you want. There is a redline on engines for a reason.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If it's below the red line I wouldn't worry. I had a GSXR600 which I had to keep above 10000 rpm constantly to make any sort of progress (Heck, if you tried pulling away at less than 7000 rpm, it would stall) I had the thing for 3 years and about 16000 miles-no problems at all. I figure if it's below the red line, then that's what it's designed to do, so I'll just happily thrash the guts out of it

·
Registered
351 Posts
Has Triumph changed the drive gear ratio on the newer generation Tex? My 2014 Gen 1 at 80mph shows 4500rpm. A crack of the throttle will get her to the ton in quick order.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hello,

I just finished a jaunt to Sturgis and beyond, covering 3,250 miles on my R1200RT. I ran hard at various times hitting 80+ mph for sustained periods of time. RPMs got to 4,000 or slightly over but most of the time stayed below 4,000.

On the Tiger that same 80+ mph gets the bike to over 5,000 RPMs. This is my third Triumph [America and Rocket 3 Touring] and this just seems to run at a higher RPM than either of those bikes.

Has anyone had any concerns or issues with the high RPMs at sustained speeds?

I would assume they designed this into the bike and motor but since this is a good educational forum, I thought I would ask the experts on here.

Thanks,
Dave.
It's now 7 months after your post. You still worried about those RPM's? I have a Bonnie and a 2018 XCa. The differences are just wonderful. The Bonnie runs lower (at 3,600 rpm around 70 Mph), while the Tiger runs higher at 4,000 at the same speed. Different animals of course. I absolutely love the Tiger, but it still is a different shifter altogether. I find myself going almost religiously 3th gear in 30+ Mph, 4th gear in 40+ Mph, 5th in 50+ Mph, and 6th in 60+ Mph and beyond. And no matter how you ride, you're almost constantly around 4K RPM. But you can make it scream passing a truck at 90 Mp and 5,500 RPM. Just don't look at your clock. What a thrill...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
OP~ The phenom to which you're referring is known as "mechanical sympathy."
Generally speaking, engineers acquire this through destructive testing. (Or, the layman ha a "bad" experience.)
Usually, it's not the reciprocating masses that are of concern, it's the lower end bearings that are most critical.
This is where premium lubrication comes into play.

Sorry, I started talking about tribology...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts