Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I traded in my 2001 Bonneville for a 2018 T120. I swore I'd keep the 01 forever. Only bike I ever bought new. I was angry at it after having rebuilt the carbs and still having cold start issues. After riding a 2017 T120, I decided that I liked fuel injection. But it wasn't green.
I'd again decided to keep the 01 when I got a call. A 2018 Green T120 was available. Under 5000 miles. Off I went. After the service tech had difficulty starting my 01, I thought the deal was off. It was discovered that a carb manifold vacuum cap was missing. I'd put one on but it was a loose fit and had come off. Bike started good and I rode home with an additional 400cc, ABS, heated grips and some cool electronic functions. Cool.

Now I am servicing the T120.

Oil change. No big deal. Hard to get at the filter with what I had. Ended up resorting to sticking a screwdriver into the filter and removing it. Replaced filter with KN-204-1 with a hex nut on the end. Used Castrol Power 1 4T full synthetic 10W40 oil.

Coolant change.
This forum post was helpful.
And this excellent video.

I found that inserting a hose into the filler neck helped fill the radiator faster. Air could escape without interfering with coolant going in.

I also drained the plastic reservoir by removing the tube from a fitting on the bottom.

I used Zerex G05 HOAT coolant.

Next will be flushing the brake fluid. I want to make sure the ABS module gets flushed so I've ordered a Bluetooth OBD and will download the Tune ECU app. I'll post when I get done and share my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The OBD tool arrived today. I downloaded the Tune ECU app. Had no trouble accessing the ECU. Bled calipers. Bled again using ABS bleed function. Bled again.

One question. Should brake lever be held or pumped during ABS bleed. I pumped and opened/closed bleed nipple during the ABS module bleed function.

Seemed to work fine. I waited 5 min between actuations of the ABS bleed function.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The OBD tool arrived today. I downloaded the Tune ECU app. Had no trouble accessing the ECU. Bled calipers. Bled again using ABS bleed function. Bled again.

One question. Should brake lever be held or pumped during ABS bleed. I pumped and opened/closed bleed nipple during the ABS module bleed function.

Seemed to work fine. I waited 5 min between actuations of the ABS bleed function.
Thats exactly how i do it, apply the brake and bleed fluid out as the valves are pulsing, i'm assuming thats the best way to get the old fluid out of the ABS unit, like you said seems to work fine.

Despite all the tech on modern bikes annual servicing hasn't changed that much over the years and the WC twins are relatively easy bikes to maintain for a home mechanic, even the valve check or re-shim is a piece of cake compared to some bikes, and any time you can keep your bike away from a dealer is a plus for me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've had bad experiences with Triumph dealer service. And I don't like not being able to access ECU maintenance functions. It's good that Tune ECU and Dealer Tool exist. The idea that I would have to visit a dealer to reset a service reminder is absurd.

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
130 Posts
One caution on the K&N oil filer. The nut is for removing the filter ONLY. There is a warning notice on the box and a sticker on the filter. Apparently the weld can fail, and no one wants oil spraying on their rear tire. :rolleyes: Why they can't apply a decent weld is beyond me - it would probably require a reinforcing plate to spread the load on the thin metal can and cost about $ .30 to do. Anyway, I just mention it as a caution. There is a lot of information ion the internet about it and there was a product recall too. But if you don't use the nut to tighten it i can't imaging there would be ab issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil filter. I did use the nut to tighten the filter. Carefully. No sticker on the filter. Box says nut "For Easy Removal"
There was a recall on the 2016 filters. Hopefully K&N improved it.

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
130 Posts
Not sure about whether K&N improved the design - the one I got 4 months ago still has the warning on the box and I don't see any difference in the design or the weld itself. Imagine that, now why would any self respecting DIY motorcycle mechanic think that if it looks like a nut, you could use a wrench on it in BOTH directions? IMHO it's just a :poop: design, and the marketing and legal folks are just trying to keep them out of court - a real disappointment from an otherwise quality company. Maybe they had 1/2 a million of them manufactured in some offshore country and are still trying to offload them? I'll use the two spares I have but will keep an eye on them and be using NAPA or some other proven brand after they are gone. Too bad for K&N if this bothers them, but it bothers me that they put people's lives at risk for a few $.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The filter I installed is p/n 204-1. Hopefully it's an improved design. I've emailed K&N for clarification.

There was a recall on the 204 filters made in 2016.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have one of the HF ones too and it works well. A smoking hot deal for under $9.00. Also good for Norton Commando oil filters, although I may be the only person on this forum who that matters to! :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked one up today. Still miss that HF 20% coupon though! Won't need it for the T120 for a while but it will help on my boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts