Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, guys

I am looking to upgrade the front suspension on my 2018 T120 Bonneville

I was checking out these 2 brand Ohline and Andreani.

Does anyone on the forum have any of these 2 kits on there bike and give me a feedback.

And is there another route that is better like GSXR front end swap.

The local shop quotes me $500 for rebuild plus the cost of the cartridge Ohlines are $650 plus the $150 for springs. Thats $800 plus labor I am looking at roughly $1500 is there anything else in the market thats better than this. I don’t mind spending little more if its worth the performance and handling.

Thank you guys let me know

Ohlins

Andreani

There is also complete forks. What you guys thought on this. Are these worth the price

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,781 Posts
Not the info you are looking for but I would add the Matris F15k cartridge kit to be considered . I got lucky on ebay and purchased an unused kit second hand . With zero recent experience of working on front forks and the help of you tube videos I fitted their kit myself , probably took twice as long as a technician would but with patience I managed . Only previous experience was fitting new fork seals 40 years ago .

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,781 Posts
Don't forget you will probably find yourself wanting to upgrade the rear as well .

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Why not try simple progressive springs in the front without adjusting the weight or quantity of oil in the forks (I believe each side has a different quantity of oil as each side is designed differently, also the spacers are a different length on each side). This is an inexpensive changeover and you can see how you like the results...if you don't don't like it then you can go more expensive. Cutting spacers is not a very complicated task. The spring change can be done with the fork tubes in place in the triple clamps. Not a hard job at all. Here is a sample product from newbonneville.com: Ikon Progressive Fork Springs TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE T120 | NewBonneville
Let us know what you do...

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
254 Posts
Not exactly what you asked but have some experience with each kit.
2012 tiger installed (ohlins u.s.) nix 22 kit. Made a night and day difference in ride and handling from the stock non adjustable fork. Bought from Hard Racing, hey are near ohlins and I sent forks to them. @1400.

2015 ducati scrambler, I bought used but had andreani fully adjustable forks. Don't know how it was stock but the forks are really nice with a lot of adjustment. Ride is firm and we'll controlled.

Neither fork had any harshness and we're supple. Rode a friend's stock tiger back to back with my modified and it was like a completely different bike.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Like @Hedgepig , I went with the Matris F15K kit (on my Street Twin). I couldnt get the fork bolt undone no matter what I tried, so it went off to the dealer and cost a couple of hundred quid (GBP). I had progressive springs in before. It's quite a difference - performance is excellent, with way more control over repeated bumps and poor surfaces. No more getting unsettled with mid-corner bumps and it's more comfortable overall. Slightly cheaper here than either Ohlins or Andreani. Worth adding to your list depending on the price locally.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I just put an Andreani kit on my Speed Twin and I am very pleased with it. I installed it myself so labor is not an issue for me. I do have some mechanical ability. (I own a couple of old British bikes...Norton making mechanics out of men since...) I put a Matris kit on my Tiger 800 again quite an improvement. Speed Twin forks have separate functions but made little difference in installing them. Not sure if the T120 has separate functions. The scariest thing with the Andreani was some grinding on the stanchion to remove a washer. I bought mine from Fast Bike Industries. They sell nothing but suspension and seem to know their stuff. They sell Ohlins, Andreani and some other high end kit. Having said that I think grebmroff has a good idea and just try different springs and/or spacer. My neighbor did so with his Street Twin and is very pleased. He just took the fork cap off and gradually pull the spring out to allow the oil to drain back into the fork before removing it.
"I couldnt get the fork bolt undone no matter what I tried" that can be a problem, I had to use an impact wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for well thought out replies:)

I think am gonna go with Matris F15K Fully Adjustable Fork Kit to fit Triumph 1200 Bonneville Speed Twin.

The reviews are good and There is nice write up on the forum for these kit and i think i will be able to do them myself.

I am located in California do you guys know anyone in the states that carries the product or where did you guys order it from?

Also gonna change out all the seal found a listing on eBay that carries the seal kit unless you guys have better source.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I am located in California do you guys know anyone in the states that carries the product or where did you guys order it from?
Matris Fork cartridge Conversion Kit for Triumph Bonneville series
I suspect they would also have a seal kit etc. as those are usually replaced whenever the forks are taken apart.
Yep, tried an impact wrench too, but still wouldnt budge.
Bigger impact wrench? Seriously I tried a small one, didn't budge so I got a bigger one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the Ohlins internals fitted to my Bobber front forks. They are outstanding. The main problem I had in fitting them was removing the bolts from the bottom of the forks. I used a big 1/2" impact and it twisted an 8mm hex like fusili pasta. Other people have not had a problem with this so you may be ok. I ended up drilling the heads off the bolts. The cartridge forks just soak up minor road imperfections and where the standard forks are constantly feeding back vibration the ohlins turn the surface to glass. They are expensive I grant you but for me it was money well spent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why not try simple progressive springs in the front without adjusting the weight or quantity of oil in the forks (I believe each side has a different quantity of oil as each side is designed differently, also the spacers are a different length on each side). This is an inexpensive changeover and you can see how you like the results...if you don't don't like it then you can go more expensive. Cutting spacers is not a very complicated task. The spring change can be done with the fork tubes in place in the triple clamps. Not a hard job at all. Here is a sample product from newbonneville.com: Ikon Progressive Fork Springs TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE T120 | NewBonneville
Hello, guys

Does anyone on the forum have any of these 2 kits on there bike and give me a feedback.

The local shop quotes me $500 for rebuild plus the cost of the cartridge Ohlines are $650 plus the $150 for springs. Thats $800 plus labor I am looking at roughly $1500 is there anything else in the market thats better than this. I don’t mind spending little more if its worth the performance and handling.

Ohlins

Andreani

There is also complete forks. What you guys thought on this. Are these worth the price
I used Tec progressive springs to re kit the front end on my T120. This radically changed improved its handling and I needed no further upgrade. I did do the rear suspension also. Use the link to their site. There kit includes everything including spacers and no need to change oil. Progressive fork springs for Watercooled Triumph Bonneville T120 (2016 onwards) | TEC Bike Parts
Search the YouTube channel of “Stuart Fillinghan” who provides a very simple video on fitting.
Hello, guys

Ohlins

Andreani

I used Tec progressive springs.
The kit includes everything you need including spacers and no need to chance oil.
They made a fantastic difference to the handling. I changed the rear suspension to Hagon Nitro and would not do any more.
there is a YouTube video by Stuart Fillingham that gives simple instructions on their fitting.

·
Registered
2018 T120
124 Posts
I love the Matris setup on my T120. I installed them myself with no problems and then had the cartridges and shocks (Matris as well) fine tuned by a suspension guru in the bay area, CA. Works great...each click of the adjusters makes a noticeable difference. Well worth the price of admission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts