Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

221 - 240 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Today I was out an a beautiful after work ride through the local twisties and I got my first ever flat tire on a bike. I knew something happened so I stopped within a few hundred yards but by the time I shut the bike down to look around the tire had fully deflated. My TMPS gave me a warning right as I stopped.

So, 744 miles in, I'm looking for at least a new rear tire, probably a new set of tires. I say set because the flatbed tow truck that picked me up was liberally coated in oil and I'm not sure that I trust the front tire any more.

What are your suggestions? Stock tires? Something better? We don't have a track here so this will be strictly road riding, if it helps.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
My last pair of diablo rossi corsa III lasted a bit over 2000 miles before cord started showing so NO to those. I think i'm going back to pr4's for their overall quality for the money

·
Registered
49 Posts
Today I was out an a beautiful after work ride through the local twisties and I got my first ever flat tire on a bike. I knew something happened so I stopped within a few hundred yards but by the time I shut the bike down to look around the tire had fully deflated. My TMPS gave me a warning right as I stopped.

So, 744 miles in, I'm looking for at least a new rear tire, probably a new set of tires. I say set because the flatbed tow truck that picked me up was liberally coated in oil and I'm not sure that I trust the front tire any more.

What are your suggestions? Stock tires? Something better? We don't have a track here so this will be strictly road riding, if it helps.
I'm curious to know this too. I know the RS has great performing tires but I'm sure I'll need something with longer life. I probably don't use 1/2 of what these can do anyway :nerd:

·
Registered
779 Posts
So a few weeks into RS ownership, does the bike still have the same glow? Are you missing the torque of your speed triple?
Absolutely loving the RS! Has not lost its luster at all. It really is a joy to ride.

There are times that I miss the torque of the 1050 (wheelies right off idle), but what the 765 lacks in grunt at 3,000rpm it more than makes up for in nimbleness. In the tight twisities the 765 is absolutely sublime. Plus, this 765 is no slouch, it rips! To power wheelie you just have to bring the revs up a little more than the 1050.

In short, no, I do not regret my decision to trade the 1050 for the 765 :grin2:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Top indicated speed so far. I don't think there's much left but I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A lustracing.co.uk 25mm lowering link is on the way to me. I don't know if I can both use the rox riser and slide the clamps down the front forks just a bit say 19mm, we'll see. According to the Triumph marketing material, there exists a shaved seat for the 765 "LRH" model.

The only thing I'm really still adjusting to is that the mirrors move with the handlebars vs being fairing mounted, and that the mirror placement is wider and closer (front to back), so not quite in my field of vision like a sportsbike.

·
Registered
779 Posts
From my experiences...

Rain mode - no wheelie
Road mode - no wheelie
Sport mode - no wheelie
Track mode - small wheelies for short distances, basically power wheelies
TC off - wheelie into the sunset

Thought I read something about wheels staying on the ground with traction control on. Mine don't. I can definitely feel the front lift before TC intervenes and sets it back down in Road mode.

Yeah I definitely did a small wheelie all the way across a large intersection in 1st gear with tc enabled.

So I did an experiment on my ride today, ya know, fer science and stuff.. And to clarify my previous findings regarding traction control settings and wheelies.

I put the bike in all the different modes and attempted wheelies, both power and clutch-up, to see what modes allowed what amount of front wheel lift.

Here are findings:
Road mode - No wheelies. However, the front wheel will come off the ground, but only a little and intervention happens immediately and brings the wheel back down. A wheelie cannot be sustained in this mode.

Sport mode - Small wheelies can be carried out for very short distances. The wheel won't come very high off the ground but it will loft slightly higher for slightly longer than Road Mode allows. I personally don't really consider it much of a wheelie but I guess it is by definition.

Track mode - I was off on this one before. Wheelies can be achieved relatively easy in Track Mode. It will let the wheel come way up to the balance point. Although, there's some intervention sometimes but I haven't nailed down where the the line is drawn. Sometimes the front wheel won't come up when a power wheelie should be occurring but flick the clutch and up it comes. I wanted to find out if it would actually stop the bike from going past the balance point but I didn't have the balls to hang the throttle wide open and find out if mitigation would occur or not. Maybe some other day. So, yes, wheelie away in Track Mode with some relative safety net, but, I don't know how big that net is yet. Sometimes it brings the front back down and other times I'm surprised how big of a wheelie it allows.

TC off - Still wheelie into the sunset. As high as you want as long as you want.

3rd gear, standing, clutch-up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could someone take a pic of the onside tail im trying to figure out if mines missing something. Something just looks off in there. I appreciate it

·
Registered
33 Posts
i've found 2 bugs with the dash.
- in the Service menu, you should be able to reset a "Custom" specific date or distance until the next service, but whatever you set under here wont save. I tried saving 1000km, but it keeps reverting back to the previous setting. You can however reset the interval to a Standard distance or time, which is 10,000km and 1yr.
- If you have the Units set to metric and when the low fuel warning comes on, the "remaining range" is shown calculated to the correct Km distance, but the words underneath still say "Miles"

221 - 240 of 853 Posts