Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

241 - 260 of 365 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I was at MoD tonight. I loved the bike but had one concern - the beach bars. I’m a smaller dude so the ergonomics were fine until it came to the hands/wrists. My concern is long range riding.
At least with the beach bars, the cables and electric wires are long enough to be able to put some other type of bars on. I am unable to do that with my T120. All the cables are too short to do much of anything.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
At least with the beach bars, the cables and electric wires are long enough to be able to put some other type of bars on. I am unable to do that with my T120. All the cables are too short to do much of anything.
Interesting, how do you know the wiring harness, clutch and brake lines are long enough to add different bars on the new speedmaster?
Everything I've seen the wiring looks quite tight.

This appears to be an option
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_151836942659813&key=2ea599e3e7f2e9a661ea890812a136af&libId=jdj1xtdy01000ayk000DA3uukkzmo&loc=http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/826914-t120-handle-bar-risers-9.html#post2003464865&v=1&out=https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en/home/272-long-cables-kit-for-triumph-since-2016.html#/choice-full_kit&ref=http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/&title=T120 Handle Bar Risers - Page 9 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums&txt=https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en...hoice-full_kit

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I don't know for a fact. I just see that the bars are longer and more pulled back than the T120. I imagine that they need longer cables (than the T120) to do this. If this is the case, then other bars become an option.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Finally saw the Speedmaster. Nice looking, but small. Sitting on it, I felt a bit cramped. I was afraid it was going to feel small since it’s based on the Bobber, and I was right.
That was my concern too when I saw the wheel base dimension's and specs. For a cruiser, when I first heard about it, I was hoping a least a little larger than the Bonnie. That being said, its a very attractive machine.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Interesting, how do you know the wiring harness, clutch and brake lines are long enough to add different bars on the new speedmaster?
Everything I've seen the wiring looks quite tight.
I was just looking at the configurator on the Triumph website. They do show the ape hanger bars and longer cables kit available for the new Speedmaster. This (cable kit) will open up some other options if the stock cables are too short for different bars.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I went to the Triumph event in Atlanta and I sat on the three (?) Speedmasters that were unveiled. Cruisers are not my cup of tea but I found the seat and the forward controls to be very comfortable. I even liked the beach bars. (I'm 6'4" with long arms.) My wife couldn't make it so I don't have any insight on what the bike is like two up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I went to the Triumph event in Atlanta and I sat on the three (?) Speedmasters that were unveiled. Cruisers are not my cup of tea but I found the seat and the forward controls to be very comfortable. I even liked the beach bars. (I'm 6'4" with long arms.) My wife couldn't make it so I don't have any insight on what the bike is like two up.
Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm more interested in the highway kit. Those bags sure look like they will interfere with the passengers legs though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm more interested in the highway kit. Those bags sure look like they will interfere with the passengers legs though.
I'll be doing something aftermarket for bags, even if I have to fab up a mounting system. Not a fan of those bags or any set of soft bags Triumph has had in the past.
Most are too small and do not hold up very well.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
getting older but still fit the 2013 Vic Hammer i purchased opened my eyes to the comfort of a cruisers forward controls, finally getting rid of my 06 HD 1200 Porkster at a HD dealer no less. the Vic is a bit heavy but don't feel like it, so hoping the speedmaster proves even better being lighter + smaller. i am only 5-8 + 160 lbs so smaller is better for me as i will be 70 YO very soon!!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
getting older but still fit the 2013 Vic Hammer i purchased opened my eyes to the comfort of a cruisers forward controls, finally getting rid of my 06 HD 1200 Porkster at a HD dealer no less. the Vic is a bit heavy but don't feel like it, so hoping the speedmaster proves even better being lighter + smaller. i am only 5-8 + 160 lbs so smaller is better for me as i will be 70 YO very soon!!!
60 here, getting rid of the Commander and picking up the Speedmaster. Dropping 150 lbs between the two
Better fuel economy, cheaper longer lasting tires, lighter weight. Is the Speedmaster perfect, no it's not but it seems like the right move for me.

I already have a visual and a plan in place for modifications and how I see the speedmaster

·
Registered
91 Posts
Saw the Speedmaster at the Toronto motorcycle show. Sat on the cruiser version. Too small! My wife, said it was very uncomfortable. She’s 5’4”, 120 lbs. Small rear seat, backs of legs pushing into saddlebags and foot rest too high. She would not give up the comfort of our Thunderbird for the Speedmaster. Looks fantastic and has great detailing and build quality. It works as a bobber. Would love to have Bobber Black for evening and short trip blasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Saw the Speedmaster at the Toronto motorcycle show. Sat on the cruiser version. Too small! My wife, said it was very uncomfortable. She’s 5’4”, 120 lbs. Small rear seat, backs of legs pushing into saddlebags and foot rest too high. She would not give up the comfort of our Thunderbird for the Speedmaster. Looks fantastic and has great detailing and build quality. It works as a bobber. Would love to have Bobber Black for evening and short trip blasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hopefully I will know this week. The bike should be arriving any day.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
My dealer in Stuart Fl is going to have a Bobber Black and a Speedmaster for show on Thursday 2/22 from 5 pm till 7:30. I am anxious to see them. Anyone in the area would be welcome. It is the regular bike night that they have. Can't get a ride though. The bike was pre sold. They do have a bobber that they will let you ride. I don't know the details but several have tried it out. The dealer is Florida Sports and ATV.
Ride safe,
Don

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Bike purchased yesterday at the dealer and now I'm waiting for them to finish prep. I can probably get it today but it's supposed to rain and it may rain tomorrow. I may have to get it on Saturday. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Well gentlemen I'm out. My bike came in Tuesday, I visited the dealer today and took her for a ride. She is beautiful, suspension is good, brakes are as well. Power band is good but not a wow factor. I don't really think scrapping pegs will be much different than on most cruisers. The bike is smallish, but sitting beside the Bobber it seems larger with a grander presence. I liked the bike. The bottom line is we just could not agree on terms. I was trading a 2014 low mileage Commander and was offered in the ballpark of what I needed last October when I placed a deposit on the Speedmaster. As most know the Commander/Thunderbird line has been discontinued which killed the value, 4 months later and the value has dropped again. Yesterday Triumph sent the dealers an email to offer an additional $2500.00 rebate on any remaining Thunderbird's. I was shown the email by the dealer today. The Tbirds are already heavily discounted. I could have purchased today a beautiful Red 2017 Thunderbird Storm for $8900.00. That puts used bikes at a ridiculous low value. Hell yes I'm disappointed, I dont know if anyone put more time in learning about the Speedmaster, read every article, watched every video. Downloaded part of the Service manual etc. At the end of the day I still have a low mileage 2014 Big Ole comfortable Commander with 4 1/2 years of remaining extended warranty. Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the New Speedamster and post plenty of pictures.

241 - 260 of 365 Posts