Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've only had the speedy for a week (bought used with 2,200 miles) and when filling up this morning, I noticed a paint bubble (saw the brownish color around the filler neck before but thought just residual fuel)
Upon further inspection when I got back, the paint is delaminating around the filler neck, peeling. This sucks....
I'll be submitting a warranty claim - of all the bikes I've owned over the years, have never seen this before. Must be bad prep from the factory

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That's a shame on such a lovely bike, looks like maybe petrol fumes have got underneath the layers of paint were they've finished around the cap.
Is that the tank with the hand-painted pinstriping as well, I bet that's not cheap.
Hope the warranty claim goes smoothly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a shame on such a lovely bike, looks like maybe petrol fumes have got underneath the layers of paint were they've finished around the cap.
Is that the tank with the hand-painted pinstriping as well, I bet that's not cheap.
Hope the warranty claim goes smoothly.
Thanks and hoping the same

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
We will be watching to see what Triumph's response is. Over time, the paint de-lamination will spread down to the tank top......

Hope they do what's right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke with the Triumph dealer I bought the bike from today. Emailed some pictures and will be submitting the claim to Triumph - fingers crossed all goes well.

BTW..this is the same dealer I got my Tiger from and they are awesome, very responsive and did my 6k Service on the Tiger.

https://www.mcenthusiasts.com/

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Spoke with the Triumph dealer I bought the bike from today. Emailed some pictures and will be submitting the claim to Triumph - fingers crossed all goes well.

BTW..this is the same dealer I got my Tiger from and they are awesome, very responsive and did my 6k Service on the Tiger.

https://www.mcenthusiasts.com/

Nice to hear about a good triumph dealer for a change, I suppose it's only fair we give the good dealers a shout out as well as naming and shaming the bad ones.

Ask them to fill the new tank when they fit it to check for leaks:grin2:

Reactions: DavidinClearwat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi David,
i know this is an old post but I had the same problem with mine.
Had the tank replaced, and now the same thing is happening again...
Still under warranty, so I will go to the dealer and see about a replacement, but wanted to check with you if you had any problems with the new tank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi David,
Still under warranty, so I will go to the dealer and see about a replacement, but wanted to check with you if you had any problems with the new tank.

Thanks!
Thanks and fortunately, haven't had the issue occur again. Sorry to hear though it's your 2nd time but I would be out of luck as my warranty is now up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi David,

Thanks!
To the Architect,
Hi, just reading that you have had your first tank replaced and now your replacement has started doing this again.
Mine also has and I was told to wait till it got worse.
Just a year now and it is spreading.
My warranty claim put through the dealer got knocked back.
Blaming outside influences as nozzle!
Which it is Not
Do you have photos of what yours looks started like on both the tanks.
On David's post that is extreme and I don't wont mine to get that bad after warranty has expired and right now I may have to go direct with a complaint to Triumph head office
I await your reply
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the Architect,
Hi, just reading that you have had your first tank replaced and now your replacement has started doing this again.
Which it is Not
On David's post that is extreme and I don't wont mine to get that bad after warranty has expired and right now I may have to go direct with a complaint to Triumph head office
I await your reply
Thanks
KayMac.... sorry to hear your claim was rejected. I would provide this post to your dealership as it's a known issue and Triumph has acknowledged / fixed others.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
To the Architect,
Which it is Not
I await your reply
Thanks
Hi KeyMac,
here are some pictures of my first tank and my current tank.
I have numbered them from 1 to 4 in chronological order. The first two are from the first tank. The last two are from the current tank.
01-TANK 1.JPG
02-TANK 1.JPG
03-TANK 2.JPG
04-TANK 2.JPG

Let me know if I can help in any other way.
I will be going to the dealer in the next couple of weeks to try and present a warranty claim.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the dealer's comment on this being your fault having to do with you scratching it with the fuel nozzle or whatever is BS. I am careful borderline OCD when fueling and take care of not even touching the paint with the nozzle EVER and this still happened TWICE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts