Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been reading this forum for almost a year now, there have been new (and great) threads on specific mods - like the Corbin seats, both 2-up and solo - and some other things, but it seemed to me that it might be good to have one central thread for beginning discussion on a whole realm of different mods.

Then, if any mod becomes really popular, like the Corbin seats, we could start another thread specifically for that mod.

The way I'm wired, all things can be improved upon. There is nothing that cannot be improved, and I'm always trying to make things better - in both mechanical things, and for me, in all realms of life.

So I've already got a list of mods I'd like to make on my new Speedmaster, and am wondering where to find such mods, or do they even exist? This forum might be a great place to start such discussions.

Here's a simple example that maybe we can use in starting this thread: I can't stand the clear lenses on the turn signals. I love smoked signal lenses that hide what's inside the signal, but let the orange light come through when the signals are on.

Anyone know of a source for smoked turn signal lenses for a Speedmaster? Does Triumph offer them?

Here's another one: I'm an old goat who loves chrome. Anyone know of a good source for alternative chrome turn signals that will easily fit the Speedmaster?

I know I'll be coming up with other areas to modify.

Hope this thread can be a help to everyone here......

GN

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm.......plenty of views, no replies.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this thread...........

Areas I'll be looking at in future, already discussed by many:

Seat - original fits me pretty well, but no long rides yet.

Footpegs or floorboards? Already noticed legs wanting to shift position last night after 20 minutes.....

Handlebar? I have a great new HD bar for a Sportster on my shelf....might try it out. Original fits me ok.

GN

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the message loud and clelar! No one likes my idea of a MODIFICATIONS thread for the new Speedmaster! No Problem!

Well, anyway I guess I'll TRY posting a question here and see if I get any response.

Stage I improvements to bike engines involve simply moving more air through the engine by reducing resistance on both the intake and the output ends - air filter and exhaust.

While on the exhaust side we all know about the Vance & Hines slip-ons for the bike, I NEVER hear anything about any options for improving intake airflow with an improved air filter, like K&N.

Why is nothing said about this? Are there any options? Will it void the warranty?

Hope someone reads this and can help.........

TIA,

GN

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be interested as well. I recently picked up an '18 Speedmaster with the Maverick kit. Kept all the take offs. Doesn't seem to be much out there with the limited searching I have done. Really like the drag bars though.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's a mod I'd like to do: make it so the DRL will illuminate by itself (i.e., without the headlight itself) while driving.
There was a thread in 2016 about this for other Triumph models. Evidently I'd need to buy a new LH switch cube and a new headlight (both Euro specs) in order to get this functionality. Cost could run a few hundred bucks. But since the bike is produced in Europe to behave this way, I've got to believe changing out those parts would be plug and play. So, I'm wondering:
1. Has anyone done this mod?
2. If so, what are the part numbers I need? And are there any complications I should expect?

Thanks much!
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about air filter? K&N make one for the SM/Bobber?

Does the ECU need re-mapping if you get one?

GN

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm.......plenty of views, no replies.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this thread...........

Areas I'll be looking at in future, already discussed by many:

Seat - original fits me pretty well, but no long rides yet.

Footpegs or floorboards? Already noticed legs wanting to shift position last night after 20 minutes.....

Handlebar? I have a great new HD bar for a Sportster on my shelf....might try it out. Original fits me ok.

GN

Here are my thoughts on the Speedmaster with over 3000 miles.

Seat, the stock one is okay, the comfort seat is great for about 15 minutes, then it loses support creating pressure points. I went with Corbin, its firm but I can ride with it all day without feeling those pressure points.

Floorboards, it was one of my first mods. I did not want to do it because they look like Elephant ears to me. My brother said give it a try you wont be disappointed, he was right. They make long rides so comfortable. If feel like riding hard I can move my feet all the way back hug the tank and let it rip. If I feel like just cruising I can move my feet forward. There is so much room to move your feet around. I do scrape the boards a little, but they move to let you know to back off.

Handlebars, I have heard some complain, but I love the beach bars. Like the floor boards I feel they work great for laid back cruising, but also are very good for hitting the curves. One thing I had to get use to was hard stoplight acceleration, you do have to make sure you have the right grip. After a few miles it was all natural for me.

I think this bike has lots going for it. At first I thought it would be just a cruiser, but it does everything I ask it to do. I would like more power, but that's me with anything I drive.

I have posted a few photos, but I will post so you don't have to search....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yoken -

Do the floorboards drag like the footpegs? Less? or more?

What is the total cost? You need the floorboards, mounting brackets, new shift linkage, right?

TIA,

GN

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yoken -

Do the floorboards drag like the footpegs? Less? or more?

What is the total cost? You need the floorboards, mounting brackets, new shift linkage, right?

TIA,

GN

I would say a little less, they also move about inch giving you a little more safety not to unload the bike.

I have seen the kit as low as $445, and it is a complete kit, everything is included. Lots of pieces with poor instructions, but you can easily figure how it all goes together.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say a little less, they also move about inch giving you a little more safety not to unload the bike.

I have seen the kit as low as $445, and it is a complete kit, everything is included. Lots of pieces with poor instructions, but you can easily figure how it all goes together.
Yoken -

Curious as to where you might "see it" for $445 - would have to be a Triumph dealer, no? sounds great to me.....

GN

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I would be interested as well. I recently picked up an '18 Speedmaster with the Maverick kit. Kept all the take offs. Doesn't seem to be much out there with the limited searching I have done. Really like the drag bars though.
Was the Maverick kit an extra 2k? And did the dealer have the parts on site, or did they have to order? Did they charge you for the labor to install?
From what I've read, there are a ton of mods available from Triumph for this bike.
As for adding floorboards, my GF did this a while ago when she had a Honda Shadow Aero, put Cobra boards on and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Asked before, but will ask again as I think the question got lost in the shuffle........

Does anyone know of smoked lenses for the turn signals on the Speedmaster & Bobber? Dealer knows of none, I can't find any anywhere.

A small picky detail and the one thing I don't like about the bike is the clear plastic lenses on these bikes. They beg for smoked lenses........

GN

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm new to Speedmaster and I think one location for mods would be great so I won't be cluttering the forum with redundant questions.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far on mine:

Decat (TEC xpipe)
Motone blinkers
Airbox(s) delete
Comfort seats, backrest & rack
Ok, looks good, more info please:

Pics of Motone blinkers
Airbox's delete - where did you get the new air filters? I heard the stock filters/air box were pretty free-flowing and not much was to be gained.
With the side covers off, what shows on the left side of the bike where the electrical stuff is? Can you provide a pic?

Thanks!

GN

·
Registered
932 Posts
Any word on aftermarket air filters? K&N ? I've only just had my firs 800km service but I think any mods for me would start with an x pipe de-cat and airfilter

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any word on aftermarket air filters? K&N ? I've only just had my firs 800km service but I think any mods for me would start with an x pipe de-cat and airfilter
Not sure where it was, but read somewhere the K&N's provide little advantage as the original filters are pretty non-restrictive.......

GN

Reactions: Findlay13

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pics of blinkers and left side of bike. For the rear blinkers I had to do some fabrication get them tucked in like that. Cut down the threaded tube, drill out the stock plastic a bit, etc.
The motones come with incandescent bulbs...replace those with LED.
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5AIMU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parts for airbox delete:
https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/viba-wiring-harness-cover-triumph-bobber/
https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/sprint-filters-pod-filter-kit-waterproof-triumph-bobber-speedmaster/
https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/uni-filters-crankcase-breather-triumph-classics/

Step by step:
Note I do sometimes get some crankcase fumes drifting up when sitting at a stoplight on a hot day. I relocated the crankcase breather as high as possible between the pods to minimize that.

wrt to stock airboxes - I'm no expert, but these have a 1" by 1.5" opening on the bottom of the airboxes.
I struggle to understand how a 1200cc engine can breathe well with such limits...In my uninformed opinion the engineers at Triumph had to do the best they could where styling took precedence over airflow.
My '14 Street Triple had a wonderfully designed airbox, and a K&N there did the trick as it got rid of the wire mesh nonsense you see on stock triumph filters.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 122 Posts