Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Im having some trouble with my bike. Initially when you start it up, it runs fine. The problem comes once the engine warms up. I have sputtering, hesitation, and stalling. Even sitting in a parking lot at idle, if you try to give it some revs the engine will occasionally just trip over it self with lots of pops and sputtering. The idle is erratic. It throws codes p0050 p0030 and p0131. I’ve checked for voltage coming from the wiring harness and I checked the continuity on the sensors themselves. Everything checks out. I am at a loss for what has gotten into this thing. Any advice is VERY much appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello Edulin98
I saw someone had a similar problem as you about 4 or 5 months ago. Turns out one of the spark plugs failed.
Did you pull and inspect your plugs? The fix might be to easy.
I am thinking about maybe up-grading the ignition cables for my Street Twin.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
202 Posts
@Langosta can you share the cables you are considering?

I recently replaced the spark plug caps on my 2016 Street Twin. They were arcing. The new versions have the better boots they should have come with in the first place, but I got them delivered for only $37 from Fowlers UK, so I wasn't too upset.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey CapsFanBen

I did not have any ignition cables in mind. I just assumed that an aftermarket company would have up-graded cables.

I think that I should follow your lead, and order spark plug caps from Fowlers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I could hear a snapping sound, and I thought it might be an exhaust leak, but then I used a mechanic's stethoscope and did not hear a leak at the exhaust. I then saw videos online of the arcing problem--for some people it's so bad you can see the arcs in daylight! My problem was not that bad, but I got the bike hot at night and watched and low and behold I saw arcing.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The codes are pretty illuminating. P0131: Bank 1 O2 sensor improper volts or fuel/air ratio. P0050: O2 sensor 2 open circuit or short to ground. P0030: Improper fuel/air ratio as sensed by O2 exhaust sensors.

Has any work been done to the O2 sensors, like removing them to facilitate installing new pipes, etc?

I removed the O2 sensors from my T120's header pipes when I decatted in order to remove the header pipes. I noticed that the wires to the O2 sensors are pretty fine. They'd be easy to damage. It took five turns to remove each sensor from its header, so I was careful to twist each sensor five full turns counter clockwise before threading it back on to the header to prevent breaking, kinking, or pulling the wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike does have an aftermarket exhaust on it. The bike was running fine. Then after a rain it isn’t. The problem has gotten worse. In order to move the bike anywhere you really have to crank up the revs and ride the clutch the whole way. If you let the clutch out all the way it will die, even if you’re already at an appropriate speed. It’s idle is really lumpy and pathetic. Think pa-pa-pa puh pa-pa-pa puh. It used to be only when it was warm, now it is constant.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
P0151: Oxygen sensor 2 short circuit to ground. The bank 2 sensor is clear out of the loop. I'm afraid you're going to get to buy some professional attention.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks CapFanBen
I looked up the part number from Fowlers for the spark plug cap replacement.

edulin98
I hope the electric problem gets fixed. May be a sensor is out of calibration? I wouldn't know what resistance to look for on FI sensors. Moisture in a wire connection can cause a little corrosion which will change the resistance that the logic board is reading. Cracked wire insulation could cause the logic to think you have a sensor shorted to ground. May be remaking the wire connections, and looking for signs of water getting into an electric connection. I wish I could tell you where the problem is. You might want to look things over before you take the bike into the shop. If you do take the bike to a dealer I think you should let the service guy know the problem happened after a rain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I have the same symptoms. It turned out to be the spark plug. After it rained water corroded the spark plug.

it has actually happened to me two times since when the bike has been left in the rain with no cover. The water pools in the area where the spark plug is, on the right side of the bike when it’s on the kickstand.
I’m now trying to get that problem sorted so I don’t have to keep replacing the sparks.

Let us know how it worked out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Upstatetwin
You caught me talking about you in the second post here about your spark plug problem.
It sound to me like you need new spark plug cables, new spark plug end caps, or a center stand???

Keep riding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts