Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is it about 6 hours of shop labor only?

Does anybody know more or less what is the going rate for head gasket replacement on a t-bird?

I asked these guys for a refund and they took it like I insulted their ancestors...

Thus far it is not looking good for me.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think they pulled the 6hr number out of thin air. Wiping down the engine and chalking it up 25 minutes then letting everyone in the shop take it for a ride isn't work.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Eraise12: Do you not have a warranty document for this bike?
Even a used bike from a dealer would normally have a limited warranty.
If you do have one, I guess I would waive it at them and threaten small claims court.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Eraise12: Do you not have a warranty document for this bike?
Even a used bike from a dealer would normally have a limited warranty.
If you do have one, I guess I would waive it at them and threaten small claims court.
Hey ChrisonTop...

No factory warranty...

When I bought the bike since I knew that there had been an oil leak, as I mentioned before, I told them the condition for purchase that #1 the leak was fixed and #2 I wanted a warranty in case the leak came back. But his was contingent that the leak was not from the head gasket. I trusted them when they said it was from then valve covers but didn't discard the possibility about the head gasket because the oil contamination was light on too and heavy kid engine.. I had clearly told them that if it was a head gasket leak I could not take the bike. The reassured me that the leak was not from the head gasket which of course I now know was a lie.

I have asked for my money back but the GM refuses and threw on my face that I signed a sales contract. I told.him everything I need to tell him and he knows I was clear when I bought the bike. I talked to sales man, sales manager, financist and service manager about my concerns. Everybody said bike is good no leaks, we don't run that type.if business here... Last Friday He said he would make a decision by today. That was Friday and today I have not heard from them and it's almost the end of business day.

Next stept will be denouncing them to the district attorneys office for commiting or conspiring to commit a fraud in time of a national emergency. I am sure they won't like being investigated. I have pictures and text messages with the sales guy about all this...

I am so disappointed at this people ( Gables Motorsports formerly Gables Honda) they are supposed to be the premier Honda and Triumph dealer for South Florida. Shame on them....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still sounds like a case for small claims court. Just the threat might get a response, and when they get the court date they will almost certainly give in. Only costs you a small amount to file. If they do not show up in court you win by default.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Look him in the eyes and tell him you have shown him on 3 different occasion's where the oil is coming from ask him why hes not changing the gasket
Steve59...

I have... Dealers down here in South Florida can be lying through their teeth while teary eyed and swearing by their mothers grave just to get you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still sounds like a case for small claims court. Just the threat might get a response, and when they get the court date they will almost certainly give in. Only costs you a small amount to file. If they do not show up in court you win by default.
Thanks for the advice . I also thought of that. We will see where it goes from here... I can also do that if the DA's office doesn't start an investigation...
The DA was on TV when this whole thing with the virus started and announced very clearly to all businesses that they would go after anyone if suspected of ripping people off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey eveeybody,

Sorry I didn't get back to you before with the final outcome...
So I got the bike back from these people and they finally admitted that there is a leak coming from the head gasket in the area of the chain well. They claim that they got on the phone with triumph engineers and insist that it is residual oil from the previous overfill which is imposible as there is no place for residual oil in the head gasket. In that area there is either a leak or no leak.

They gave me the option to run the bike for 300 miles and if the leak persits, they said they will fix it. They gave me a written IOU (I owe you) note for this.
When they delivered it they said it hadn't leaked any oil; of course there was no oil, but I could tell they had wiped it off
So I've had the bike for about week and have put in it about 20 miles and in fact there is very little oil coming out of that area when it's could. By the way, I love the ride; it's so strong and nimble for it's size... But some times it leaks some times it doesn't but it mostly happens when it's cold. The amount coming out is like a droplet smeared with a cutip on the the gasket by the chain well and right under those little holes in the front.
So I don't know if I should take legal action. I don't know if they gave the IOU in good faith to take responsibility or if they gave it to buy time so they can blow me off in 3 months. At this time with everything going on it's going to be hard to get anything moving.

I don't think it's going to stop leaking as there is no such thing as residual oil in the head gasket but... There is a big but... I read in a Facebook triumph owners page about two people having this same leak and they said it was coming from the 4 port holes in the front. They said that these are drains for the sparkplug port potholes to prevent rain water from poddling up in the spark plugs holes. I saw some pictures of the heads and I cannot see anything or can't see well enough in sparkplug holes...

Any way, this post has gotten a bit long... So sorry.

Thank you for your comments... I will post some more later on...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I probably don't need to tell you that those 1700 engines just do not leak unless there is a problem. Not a drop. If yours has a leak then there is something wrong with it.
That being said if it is only a drop here and there then you probably have to suck it up and hope it doesn't get worse.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts