Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Got my T-bird storm this week with 4k miles from local Triumph dealer in Miami FL (Gables Motorsports formerly Gables Honda)... Had seen the bike in the showroom and had a light steak of oil in the front of the engine and they said said it was a small leak from cam cover due to previous owner overfill... They said it would be taken care of if bought. Went ahead a bought it and leak is back after just turning it on and letting it run for 5 minutes... After close inspection I noticed that it is not from the top cam cover but from the middle of the engine in the front below the exausts. It's either coming from the head gasket or the small 2 holes bored on the heads just above the head gasket. Anybody knows what this holes are, why are they there. There is actually 4 of these holes, two on each side just above the head gasket division and they appear to be about 3cm deep...
See the pictures...
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there VAbird... It did occur to me but the leak is oil not coolant... You think triumph would put those in there for oil expansion too? ?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
"they said said it was a small leak from cam cover due to previous owner overfill" never heard of that one either.
I believe you need to ride the bike back to the dealer and have a sit down with the owner or GM. It sounds to me like they are not being forthcoming and need to make this right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there Hornet,

It seems that way to me too. The dealer has picked up.the bike and they are "checking it again"... They make it seem like they have to do some sort of investigation to find out where the leak is coming from when it seems quite simple. There are only 3 places where an oil leak can exist on this side of the engine which is at the valve cover, heads or at the time belt tensioner in my opinion unless those holes where some kind of oil gallery holes with leaky plugs and I do not it see plugs at the end of those holes.

Luckily I noticed the leak before riding and didn't put a single mile on it to avoid giving them a reason to say it happened to me.

I am worried because here in Florida there is no cooling period and we have have loose laws when it comes to vehicle sales.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
From the pic here, it looks to me like the four holes you cite are closest to the cooling jacket area.
I don't see any moving parts or need for oil lubrication in those areas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi VABird... Thanks for the picture; it is great referrence... You are completely right... Nothing moving there...
I am thinking the head gasket is leaking from the chain well area there in the middle... Not a good scenario...

I have expressed to the dealer that if it is a head gasket replacement I cannot take the bike. Hoping they do the right thing and take it back...

This whole thing smelled bad from the begining and I just liked the bike so much that I made myself believe them that it was just a leak from the valve covers. I did tell them that the condition for purchase was that the leak would be taken care of. I begining to think it was just an act to get rid of the bike.

Thanks again... Wish me the best...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hi VABird... Thanks for the picture; it is great referrence... You are completely right... Nothing moving there...
I am thinking the head gasket is leaking from the chain well area there in the middle... Not a good scenario...

I have expressed to the dealer that if it is a head gasket replacement I cannot take the bike. Hoping they do the right thing and take it back...

This whole thing smelled bad from the begining and I just liked the bike so much that I made myself believe them that it was just a leak from the valve covers. I did tell them that the condition for purchase was that the leak would be taken care of. I begining to think it was just an act to get rid of the bike.

Thanks again... Wish me the best...
Eralse12, Please come back and post updates. Too many times these type threads die off with no resolve. Good luck. They know you are on it, hopefully they do the right thing.

Here's a short story, a friend of mine always wanted a Roadking. He picked up a 2010 that had just been traded in at an HD dealer. He told me for a couple weeks the bike just did not handle right so he took it back. Turns out the bike had been wrecked and the frame was bent. The previous never reported the the wreck or mentioned it to the dealer.
The dealer took the bike bike, found my friend another Roadking in great shape and all was good.
Moral of the story, there are good dealers, let's hope yours is as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Hornet... Yes, I will come back and post updates.

For now they appear to be working with me but they are being overly cautious in their vocabulary when they talk to me.

They picked up the bike on Saturday and they say they applied the poder for the test still troubleshooting... Preliminarily they are saying that the leak does not appear to be from a head gasket which makes me even more suspecious bacause there is really nothing else there but head gasket.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey steve59... It was a dealer purchase... They took they bike and were rouble shooting... They just came back to me a few minutes.ago saying there were no leaks after clean up and powder test... He said they let it run for a considerable amount of time and saw no leaks.

They have been good but I am not trusting their technician. He may be one of those guys that doesn't like to be wrong... The oil certainly came from somewhere; it didn't just show up there all magically or by coincidence.

I will try to get out of the deal if I can but this is South Florida crooked dealer capital of the wold...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Eralse12, I see you've reached out to a couple of other posters in other threads. I just checked my 2014 Commander, it also has the four holes with absolute zero leakage in the area. I would agree they are probably a design to hold the head in place during assembly.
It's my opinion these leaks in your post and the other posts are head gasket problems. Your dealer may be on the up and up, they may have also just cleaned everything up.
If you can get out of the deal I probably would unless they are willing to do a head gasket replacement to eliminate the possibility.

If they want let you out of the deal and assure you they have found nothing I would take pics of the area. Start the bike right there, let it run ten mins and check it again. If it leaks take pictures again and tell them you want out of the deal or you will contact your lawyer and the local media outlets.

If after running and you see no leaks I would ask them if you can ride the bike for 30 mins and bring it right back to the dealer for further inspection.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I just think the location of the oil also looks like a head gasket and if they don't want to pay the tech what it costs ask the service writer for an estimate and you can at least decide if it's worth negotiating the replacement cost vs everything else you'll have to go thro. If you still want the bike and the price is right it might be worth splitting the repair cost with them as a last recourse. only you can decide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys... I was planning on doing just that so they see that I am not just about rejecting the bike...

I kind of knew it was a head gasket leak because the rest of the engine is completely dry and nice. I just had doubts about the holes because some guy in a triumph dealer in Tampa that I spoke with said they might be oil gallery holes... Of course this theory is completely debunked with above picture provided by VABird with the up view of the head/valves.. There is nothing moving there at that level that needs irrigation.

Thank you... Will let you know final outcome.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
At first, I didn't think I even had them, but I had to get on my back on the floor to even see those holes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys... So the bike was at the dealer the whole week. They washed the engine in detail and the did baby poder on the engine... They said they had it running for a long time and the service manager said his guys has spent at least 6 hours of labor on it and no leaks... I went to the dealer to see it 2 days ago and ran the engine myself for about 20 minutes and also had my friend take it for a ride around the block and asked him to ride it hard... Guess what; no leaks... So they kept it at the dealer for another day to wash the powder off and detail... Comes delivery today and I noticed oil by the head gasket in the same area but the chain well on the right side... There was a very minimal amount at the most the equivalent to 1 drop. It's not like oil is gushing out but an oil leak from the head gasket is as bad as it can get. On the picture the area looks shiny only because I already and wiped it with my fingers.

Rejected delivery and now I am waiting to see if they will stand behind what they sell.

I am very disappointed because I had already seen it with my own eyes that it was not leaking but I was still worried that it might leak after cool down due to metals contracting. I had asked the service manager before delivery if it was still dry and he assumed it was saying yes that it was still dry...

??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts