Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Got a 2017 STRS with 14000km on the clock. Noticed recently that the first start of the day takes a few cranks longer than the rest. Is this normal? Once it's been started its usually good for the rest of the day and fires right up.

Its been quite wet lately so perhaps that's got something to do with it? I'm in Queensland so a cold start is between 15 and 20c at the moment.

I also just pulled the air filter. It doesn't look great, could that be what's causing issues?

Thanks for any info :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
593 Posts
A battery starting to fail, dirty fuel injectors, valves that are out of spec... First things I would suggest is getting a good dose of fuel system cleaner in the tank, then check out your battery voltage both before and during that first morning start. Your battery could be having trouble holding the charge overnight, but is fine after riding it around. Valves being out of spec are a bit more work to get fixed up, so I'd make sure it's not one of the other two potential issues first.

Reactions: JNAC91

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A battery starting to fail, dirty fuel injectors, valves that are out of spec... First things I would suggest is getting a good dose of fuel system cleaner in the tank, then check out your battery voltage both before and during that first morning start. Your battery could be having trouble holding the charge overnight, but is fine after riding it around. Valves being out of spec are a bit more work to get fixed up, so I'd make sure it's not one of the other two potential issues first.
Thanks for such a detailed response. Mulling it over today the battery makes a lot of sense, the bike is reasonably low KM, it was at 11,000km a month ago but the battery has been in it for 5 odd years now. It's also a tiny battery as far a batteries in vehicles go, the ones in my ST1300 and F800GS are huge in comparison.

I got a new air filter and will give the fuel system cleaner a go. What's the golden ratio for that? Do I need to work out the comparable amount to what it states for a car or just bigger the glob better the job mentality?

Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't be too worried about the fuel system cleaner's ratio. Get a single bottle of it that you'd put in your car, then use half of it in one tank, then the other half when you refill. The ratio doesn't matter until you are doing crazy things like half petrol and half cleaner. (They do call it petrol down under, right?) You could even toss the whole bottle in the tank and be fine if you wanted to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't be too worried about the fuel system cleaner's ratio. Get a single bottle of it that you'd put in your car, then use half of it in one tank, then the other half when you refill. The ratio doesn't matter until you are doing crazy things like half petrol and half cleaner. (They do call it petrol down under, right?) You could even toss the whole bottle in the tank and be fine if you wanted to.
Indeed we do, never did understand why you lot called a liquid "gas" :unsure:

Thanks for that. I found a type here that appears to be specific for small engines. I will have a look at that in the shop today and compare it to the car specific one, my assumption is they are the same thing in different bottles, either way I'll get something.

Tested the battery last night and was sitting at 13.2v so I've had it on the charger overnight. Logic is if I take it off the charger and start it right away it should be pretty apparent if it's starting at full strength or still struggling. Will make a call on the battery from there.

Thanks again for the info :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any update? Was the battery causing your issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any update? Was the battery causing your issues?
Just rode it to work.

So far I've replaced the air-filter and charged the battery as well as testing the voltage. Battery checked out fine. I have also added some injector cleaner to it to see how that goes.

I recorded the bike this morning when I started it. It refused to start at all on the first press of the button. Let go and pressed it again and it started right up.

Best way I can put in to words how it felt to ride was like slight turbo lag. I'd crack the throttle and it'd sound like it wanted to go but instead of immediate the power built over a second or two (this could be down to riding mode and I'm just being really sensitive atm). Other than that it was fine. I kept it in a 4th where I would normally use 5th or 6th to suck a bit more cleaner through it.

Started to feel a little better as I got closer to work (about 40 mins) but again, I could just be dreaming. I'll see how it goes this afternoon on the way home and tomorrow morning during a cold start. If I do notice an improvement I will dump the fuel and get a fresh tank and some more cleaner.

If it does turn out to be a bad batch of fuel or some dirt etc I'll likely rip it apart this weekend and clean out all the lines and injectors.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's strange. It sounds like she tried, but failed to start that first time. If you watch the video, you can hear it almost start, then go back to just cranking on your first attempt. Then, obviously, she starts up very easily the second time.

It could be a bad batch of fuel. As fuel gets old, it gets harder to atomize. When that happens, you can get hard starts. Once the engine gets hot, the fuel is also hotter so it atomizes easier and will probably run better. If that's the issue, it would also run better at higher RPMs. Is it still giving lag when you are up around 9,000 RPM and up, or just when riding normally around town? Try keeping the revs up and see if you have the same lag issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything you said in the second paragraph rings true. Once you're going it's fine, Power wheelies and all the good stuff. Just down low its not too happy.

Thinking back on its its been really wet lately, didn't want to ride to the servo (petrol station) . I filled the bike up from a Jerry can, the fuel was fresh but it had previously had some old fuel in it that wasn't too good. I threw that in the mower but perhaps there was some residue left over or something. I'll have to have a look inside the can when I get home.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go for anyone else that might encounter this. I'll get a few more videos etc.

Thanks for your help/advice, really appreciate it t.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I'm interested to know if you've found any improvement yet?
I also have a 2017 STRS with 7500 miles (12k Km) on it and I experience the same 'not-kicking-in' at first.
I'm in Scotland, so I considered it might be the time of year - meh, it is kept in an unheated garage - and I have only had the bike a couple of months (bought from a Triumph dealer).
The battery is at 12.4 - and I'm sure that's fine.
Same as you - if I go for a short ride and stop, it'll fire straight away.

Interested to hear how it's going for you..

Cheers
G.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts