Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've driven cross country the past two summers in my car and this year I'm planning on taking my scrambler; I need some advice on parts to add some storage options for the bike.

The end goal is to have a Rotopax fuel can mounted on the left side (rotopax water can on right would also be nice), a rear bag, and a tank bag.

My biggest issue right now is finding a mount and adapter for the Rotopax; Happy Trails has an SU Rack with an additional Rotopax adapter but it's for earlier models not the SS, I emailed to ask if it would work with the SS and received the vague answer that essentially no they don't have anything for SS yet. I'm not entirely sure that the Happy Trail SU Rack won't work with the SS though so can anyone confirm if it does or doesn't?

Or does anyone know of any other racks that would allow side mounting of the Rotopax on a SS?

For the rear and tank bags I'm looking at Wolfman brand which seems to be good, they offer a 45L rear bag. I would like a bit more space though for a bivy sack, compact ultralight tent, handgun, snacks, camelbak bladder and socks plus other essentials. I was also looking at the DrySpec D78 but the Wolfman appears to be higher quality although smaller.

Thank you all for any input; I've been reading these forums for awhile and always find the best advice here so finally made an account to ask this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello Ronin88

While there are plenty brands to consider, I quite like the style and look of the SW Motech Legend Gear for the SS, having invested in. Some for my own SS. If you don’t like, there are other brands... But I do believe SWM have the right collection of things that will see you good.

First, hardware - a steel rack (either TEC’s or OEM) will give a solid space to strap stuff to, even a small-medium size top case. You could also consider this as the space to mount the Rotopax fuel pack(s)

Second, mount the SWM Legend side carrier on the LHS (can’t on the right because of the high level exhaust). Trick here is you’d have to fit the one designated for the T100/120 and modify slightly if you want the rear rack as well because of compatibility issues. I have this set up and quite happy. If not, there is a side carrier specifically for the SS, easy fit.
The beauty of the side carrier is that you can fit either a LC2 bag of 13.5L capacity, or maybe better for you, fit the universal plate and Rotopax to it.

The Legend saddle bag is matching in style to the side bag, but is essentially a 48L tail bag that plenty of loops and attachment points to tie stuff to.

The tank bag options are many. Personally I don’t like large tank bags and the SS tank is small, so I’d be happy with the likes of a 5/6L bag for the little odds and ends.

On the fuel issue, why not a fuel bladder that can be rolled up or stored flat when not needed and fuel is only carried when long stops are anticipated?

Anyway, some pictures illustrating what I mean above.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dave,

That was exactly what I was looking for; I was thinking the mount and rotopax over a fuel bladder because I'm not too familiar with where I'm heading, so rather just keep fuel stocked at all times and like you mentioned I might toss a bag on the rack when I'm done with the trip.

I ended up grabbing that rack and universal adapter, I have no idea how I kept overlooking them haha; I really appreciate the help. I would have grabbed that Givi bag but I already ordered the Dryspec D78 yesterday, so hopefully that works out just as well.

I should be set now storage wise, only things I might need now is a center stand and fly screen. Lubing that chain without a stand is such a pain though; I don't leave for another month so maybe after the shock of having dumped so much money in the bike "this month" wears off I'll grab one next month haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts