Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found information on the 2017 America/Speedy's yet? I really like the engine on the new Speed Twin, but would prefer it on an America. Hopefully the 2017 America will have the new engine that the Speed Twin uses and not be upsized to the 1200 engine.

I haven't test ridden a Speed Twin, but sat one one and it just didn't feel right.

Stan

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have to disagree Stan I hope with all my heart Triumph puts the 1,200cc engine into a cruiser.
Have the 900cc version too maybe, but I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for a 1.200cc America/Speedmaster,or other cruiser.

Reactions: JD13

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Findley,where you are the 1200 cc engine might be better, but up here in the foothills I don't need the additional weight and top end, but could use additional mid range without adding a lot of extra weight. And since Triumph isn't going to listen to either one of us we'll just have to take what we get, hahaha.

And if Triumph puts the larger (1200cc) engine on the America I'll have to see if it feels right for me. If not I'll look at the new Moto Guzzi V9.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well Stan the best option would be like Harley does with the Sportsters having the choice of 883 or 1,200.Triumph could have the 900 or 1,200 engine. But as you say Triumph isn't going to listen to either of us!
:grin2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
from what I have read the new 1200's have around 80 hp and 78 lbs of torque in the T120 bonnie with a weight gain of 30 or so lbs.
To me that would be a nice trade off in weight for the extra Ummph from the engine. Saying that tho I will probably keep my bike for a few more years
I have finally gotten it to just how I like it .:Chopper

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Findley, I agree that would be the best option, however, I doubt that Triumph sells enough Americas and Speedy's to justify a choice of engine sizes. Overall I think Triumph offers a fairly good selection of cruisers so I won't complain no matter which engine they put on the new Americas.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would keep my America[Have I told you I love it?] and buy a 1,200 if they put that motor in a cruiser.

The 900? I don't know if I'd give up the current bike I love, or maybe just finally get around to doing a big bore on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
900/1200 "bobber"

We've seen the spy photos of that Triumph "bobber" which looks completely different from the current America/Speedy. However, it's just the prototype rather than the final production version. Would be inclined to think there'll be 900 and 1200 cruisers available. The sloptail chassis would not be comparable to the current Thunderbird 1700 so doubt Triumph would be concerned about a 1200 cruiser taking sales away from the heavier Tbird. Hopefully, we might see the production 900/1200 unit/s by August.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder why that would be. Too few sales, or taking potential sales from the T Bird ?? If they drop the America it will force me to go with the Moto Guzzi V9 or one of the other mid size cruisers. I don't need anything as heavy as the T Bird.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I certainly hope, not but sales drives everything.They seem to be selling lots of Bonnevilles which is where they seem to be concentrating their efforts ATM

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
fact is new speedmaster-americas will be built soon!! fact is most cruisers are heavier + prolly more suited to a 1200 engine, spy photos show dual discs + prolly a cartridge in the forks aka 1200 bonnie, rear looks to be from the bobber but with dual seating. test riding will tell the story if its good enough to replace my powerful but heavier Hammer that feels lighter than it is most of the time. a 1200 cruiser under 600 lb road ready would be great IMO!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts