Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened the past couple times I rode now. The clutch is pulled in, kickstand up, I turn the key on and the diagnostics/flashy light thing happens. I push the starter button and nothing. Doesn't matter if the bike is cold, warm or hot. It's as if there is a safety circuit somewhere preventing it from starting. I do notice I don't hear the injectors and other stuff whirling just after turning the key on. After multiple turn the key off and back on again, clutch out and then in again, put the side stand up and then down, it finally starts. And yes, the main shutoff is on.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
751 Posts
This has happened the past couple times I rode now. The clutch is pulled in, kickstand up, I turn the key on and the diagnostics/flashy light thing happens. I push the starter button and nothing. Doesn't matter if the bike is cold, warm or hot. It's as if there is a safety circuit somewhere preventing it from starting. I do notice I don't hear the injectors and other stuff whirling just after turning the key on. After multiple turn the key off and back on again, clutch out and then in again, put the side stand up and then down, it finally starts. And yes, the main shutoff is on.

Any thoughts?
I would have said check the clutch switch but then you mention it's not doing the fuel pump priming noises when you switch on the ignition which points more towards the engine stop run switch.
Is yours a separate stop/run switch all the newer type integrated with the start switch?
If it's the older type and you don't use it, it's possible the contacts can become dirty, I know I've had to flick mine on and off a couple of times to get my Daytona to start.
side stand switch won't matter unless you're trying to start it in gear, clutch switch would prevent it starting but it would still do the normal startup noise after turning the ignition on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a separate stop/run switch which I never use. I'll take it apart and check the contacts. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Immobilizer maybe? Not reading the key chip.
That reminds me, check the blanking plug for the alarm if it's got one fitted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts