Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to get some Tech Spec tank pads for my Thruxton R. I'd like to get something already pre-cut. I'm wondering how the older Thruxton Tank indentions compare to the 2016 ones.

Attached is a pad dimensions from TechSpec

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi.

I don´t know if they fit. And i dont want to gamble either...But I´ve sent them an e-mail practically begging them to make a set of snakeskins for the Thruxton R, as I know alot of guys (and gals) who would buy them.

No response from them what so ever......so all we can do is hope i guess:/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update.

Got an e-mail back from [email protected]--

Hi!
We don´t have a kit for this bike but we think the Bonneville kit will work.

Anybody with larger balls/wallet than me who are willing to try?:smile2:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it will work, but I feel it may be too small to cover as much area as I would like.

There is a thumbnail of the dimensions of the Bonneville pads in my original post. Maybe measure the tank indents and compare? I would, but my bike is still in the shop. I should have it tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it will work, but I feel it may be too small to cover as much area as I would like.

There is a thumbnail of the dimensions of the Bonneville pads in my original post. Maybe measure the tank indents and compare? I would, but my bike is still in the shop. I should have it tomorrow or Friday.
Please do so when you get your bike:smile2: I won´t have mine for at least 2-3 weeks:crying:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another option maybe is to measure the tank and make a template out of cardboard or something similar, and send to them for fabrication....just a thought:)

I would probably do that if i had a bike:)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another option maybe is to measure the tank and make a template out of cardboard or something similar, and send to them for fabrication....just a thought:)

I would probably do that if i had a bike:)
That's what I'm going to do. The standard Bonneville one seems too small to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm planning to get some Tech Spec tank pads for my Thruxton R. I'd like to get something already pre-cut. I'm wondering how the older Thruxton Tank indentions compare to the 2016 ones.

Attached is a pad dimensions from TechSpec
So...I ordered the techspec snakeskin for the old thruxton anyway. In general they fit the tank ok, but as you ( and I) thought they were a little bit small and imo the corners was a little rounder than i prefer

·
Registered
672 Posts
sur ma nouvelle 1200 et mon ancienne 900.
les 2 grippes-genoux proviennent du catalogue Triumph.
entre la 900 & le 1200: ils sont différents.

et ici,montés sur la R d'un ami (à son retour du TT)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Zombie revival. In case anyone is looking for Techspec for the Thruxton 1200. Personally, the R&G surface texture does not look aesthetically pleasing. I much prefer the Techspec Snakeskin on my street bikes.

I spoke with the folks at Techspec, and they don't have plans to add the Thruxton 1200. However, they will do custom tank grips based on mailed in templates. I will be doing this for my bike as I would like to have almost full coverage of the tank indentation. You can custom make your own template for the desired amount of coverage. Or if you want to just hop in on my template and order from it, shoot me a PM and I can keep you updated as I send mine off to Techspec this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts