Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some lurking and haven't really found an answer to my question, figure it's worth asking to save myself from doing something stupid. I've been looking for a tune for my Speedmaster as I have recently deleted the airbox, thrown on some K&N pod filters, and British Customs British Bomber exhaust. SAI is removed, and I am blanking off the O2 sensors, so pretty standard stuff. Problem is, I haven't been able to find a good tune for it. TuneECU pretty much offers tunes for aftermarket pipes, TORS, or productions silencers only for this bike now, and doesn't go into much detail about the tune itself. TTP has a much better offering, specifically tune 13, but I contacted one of the guys that works there and he said that the tune will run too rich unless I have DNA podfilters. I'm not too keen on spending over $100 on another set of pod filters and $150 on a tune that may or may not work, does anyone either have experience with this tune and can give some advice? I was also thinking tuneECU has one for a bonny, same engine, that lists everything that I have. Can I use a bonneville tune for a speedmaster? Or are the cylinders laid out differently? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
764 Posts
DNK TuneWorks or TTP for tunes. Both are proven.

Bonneville and Speedmaster don't even have the same engines or anything in common.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Can I use a bonneville tune for a speedmaster? Or are the cylinders laid out differently? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
No, while we do share a lot of the motor with the Bonneville family of models they are not the same. The 270 degree firing order of our cruiser variant is not compatible with the 360 firing order of the Bonneville.
You will likely need a custom tune (hard to get with TuneECU), purchase one from TTP or go the far more expensive and consuming PowerCommander route. I was lucky enough to find an experienced tuner (with TuneECU) after my engine modifications but he has since closed his shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up going with 20516 +5 F/L from tuneECU and so far I'm really happy with it. No surging, popping, power loss, stalling, nothing. Improved throttle response and the bike runs cooler as well. I'm going to stick with it for a while, but so far the drive is fantastic. My other option would be tune 13, but again, I'm not sure how much having K&N's on instead of DNA would affect it. Truthfully, I'm willing to bet the difference would be negligible. Thanks for the responses! :D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I ended up going with 20516 +5 F/L from tuneECU and so far I'm really happy with it. No surging, popping, power loss, stalling, nothing. Improved throttle response and the bike runs cooler as well. I'm going to stick with it for a while, but so far the drive is fantastic. My other option would be tune 13, but again, I'm not sure how much having K&N's on instead of DNA would affect it. Truthfully, I'm willing to bet the difference would be negligible. Thanks for the responses! :D
The difference in air filter brand is minimal compared to no longer having the air box. While the tune you are using is better than the stock tune it does not compensate for the big air intake changes you made. You are likely running very lean. You will not blow it up in the short term, over time you will possibly cause premature issues. As noted elsewhere, you are not alone in the configuration you have but I am not aware of anyone sharing a custom tune for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sort of puts me between a rock and a hard place then. Maybe what I'll do is use this tune for a bit until I can scrounge up $200 and then use 13 to be safe? These are literally the only 2 options I have after looking for weeks. Thing that vexes me is, there are tons of people who have modified their Speedies, yet there is no trace of any solid tunes. These bikes have only been discontinued for 2 years, and even finding aftermarket parts for them is like pulling teeth.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Seems there were fewer performance gains from removing the air box on the EFI models compared to the earlier carb'ed versions. I looked for info before making big changes on mine and went the more expensive big bore & cams route while retaining the air box (with modifications). Luckily I had a tuner option (250 miles away) to dyno tune after the changes. That was years ago, before Mike/Pieman had tunes available on TriumphTwinPower for our side of the Bonneville family. Look at that site for some good info if you have not already.
While the model may have been officially D/C'ed a couple of years ago they were really just selling off stock on hand the last year or two, not building new. The cruiser side of the family was not a big seller to begin with so we had few aftermarket options before they were D/C'ed and most of what was available sold off quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts