Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I was looking at a 2016 Speedmaster that really interested me. It will be my first bike (unless you want to count a 125cc Honda Grom lol) but I was wondering if the bike would be too large for me. I’m about 5’7 with a 30” seam. There aren’t any dealers around me that have any in stock and the seller is a bit far. I was hoping I can get some feedback before driving out.

also, do you think this would be an okay first bike? I was looking at the Speedmaster, 883, and Honda Shadow but ultimately everything about the Speedmaster interested me more.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My mom can sit on my America and she is about 5'5" maybe even 5'4". I really dont think you'll have a problem sitting on it. they have 3 settings for the rear shocks. if you really needed to you could also loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and drop the forks an inch or so but that shouldn't be necessary. these are not large bikes. they are long. they are longer than Harley Dynas and Sportsters but they are a lot lighter. the newer America and Speedmaster seat heights are 27" and the older ones are 28"

·
Registered
2020 Speed Master
560 Posts
Specs show 27.2 on the 2016 and 27.7 on the 2020. I'm 5'4" and have a 25" inseam, and I straddle the 2020 SpeedMaster just fine with both feet firmly on the deck. I would suspect that with a 30" inseam that you're safe.

It's difficult to provide guidance with respect to bikes being first bikes, especially when nothing's known about you. From a physical standpoint, it should be manageable. Yet, it's got more power than you need for a first bike. I started on a Bonneville 750 as a first bike and did just fine at the age of 22. I think your honest assessment of your seriousness about getting the feel of your abilities on the bike (learning your limitations and skill) and reading all you can about being proficient will assist in your decision. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here, I am 5'8" 30" seam and I just bought a Speedmaster 2022 (I don't think the size changed much from a 2016?) I was flat footed and can reach brakes,.. no problem. I actually have better reach on my feet on the SM than on my Vespa :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts