Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been done before.

Although my Thruxton R does not lend itself to luggage there are times when I need to carry stuff so ordered the nylon panniers as part of the bike purchase.

I never found any pictures of them mounted so as I picked them up today from my dealer I thought I would post a few images and share my initial thoughts.

http://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=384194&stc=1&d=1465570004

http://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=384210&stc=1&d=1465570261

The good parts are that the panniers seem pretty well made, the rack is pretty small, and although I think they do somewhat ruin the flow of the bike when you have to carry luggage they are a valid option.

The main negative is that the rack is shinny chrome which will be fine for the base Thruxton but looks very bad on the black frame and brushed steel R. I am really disappointed in Triumph on this, if I keep the rack I now have to go through the hassle of sanding and painting it.

Other issues so far are the pannier sleeve that fits over the rack seems too big so the fit is very loose. The buckles keep the panniers safe but they move around a lot.

There was the usual missing washers in the kit, and the instructions are generic for all bikes so included instructions on removing the rear pegs, and do not mention that it is the exhaust bracket that needs to be used on the Thruxton. However it is an easy installation that takes less than 10 minutes.

It seems that the top harness has not been designed to tuck under the seat when not in use but with a bit of fiddling they can be folded under and out of sight.

It was always going to be a tall order to design a decent set of quick release panniers that don't detract too much from the looks of the bike, overall I can not recommend these ones. The rack especially in chrome draws the eye when the panniers are not fitted, and although it is only 4 bolts (top shock and muffler bracket each side), to remove them I don't think I could be bothered to do it too often. The panniers are very small so the storage gained is not much, why they aren't expandable like the Givi easylock semi-rigid ones I don't know. The Givi set can hold a helmet, these won't get near that.

All in all I will keep an eye out for better options. However if you on the look out for a set of small luggage that won't be used too often then these would fit the bill. The bags look as good as can be expected on the bike, they have a drawstring inner compartment, two small pockets and a rain cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thank you. I've been debating these since before the bike arrived.

Most disappointing thing to me is that they are not better secured and move around a lot.

·
Registered
16 Street Twin | 07 Sprint ST
171 Posts
My impressions are similar to yours. I kinda knew the panniers would mess up the looks of my Street Twin. I much prefer the bike without them, but I can't seem to leave home without a bunch of "stuff".

I think Gabbydad powder coated his support brackets. I plan to do the same at some point.

I've also thought about notching out the ends of the supports so they would be removable without having to completely remove the bolts. I haven't looked into to closely yet though.

-Alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My impressions are similar to yours. I kinda knew the panniers would mess up the looks of my Street Twin. I much prefer the bike without them, but I can't seem to leave home without a bunch of "stuff".

I think Gabbydad powder coated his support brackets. I plan to do the same at some point.

I've also thought about notching out the ends of the supports so they would be removable without having to completely remove the bolts. I haven't looked into to closely yet though.

-Alan
A couple of good tips Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ventura will be coming out with a rack/bag kit in August if that is of any help to people. What it will look like is anybody's guess, but at least they reasonably discrete.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I just picked up the same Triumph set and was about to return it after reading this thread but thought I would install it first and see how it looked.
As mentioned, one possible alternative to this pannier set would be the Motech with it's quick releasing rail. Then I really had a good look at how the Motech mounts and realized there is a big advantage to the Triumph system. My really good look consisted of viewing an installation video, so my apologies to those who have owned the Motech system if I have this wrong.

The panniers on the Triumph system are entirely supported by the rail whereas the Motech still has a strap going over the seat, or in the case of the Thrux R, the plastic rear cowl. This means weight will bear on the cowl, not a good plan. I went thru this with some Cortech throwovers on my Special. After a few thousand miles the welds on the aluminium cowl cracked and the cowl was damaged from the weight of the panniers, which admittedly were quite stuffed at times. The Triumph cowl looks even less capable of bearing weight than my Special cowl.
No doubt Triumph had that in mind with this rail system, which they have had for awhile.

This Triumph mount is very simple and robust. If you do want to take the rails off, it can be done in a little under five minutes without hurrying, I timed it.
With the Motech, even with the rail ( which is really only a bumper) removed there is still a somewhat unsightly mounting block that stays behind. And the Motech costs about 60% more than the Triumph panniers.
The 15 litre size is OK for my needs. The Motech is 14 litres, although it expands to 21. When expanded the panniers will probably sag a fair bit, I know that my Cortechs go all saggy baggy when the expander is unzipped.

These Triumph bags look like they will stay nice and perky.
I'm going to copy the mounting system for use on the Commando and my Special so that the Triumph bags can see use on those bikes as well.

I don't mind the bright chrome finish as there is a smattering of bright chrome or polished alloy here and there on the R, a bit more won't hurt.
If you prefer the brushed stainless look, some triple O steel wool will get you there quickly. Just be sure to clean the rails really well after dulling the shine. Those little bits of steel wool left behind will rust quickly if left on.
The shape and size of the panniers suits the bike really well and they appear to be well made.

Testing begins on Monday!

There is some possible movement fore and aft but not much in any other direction. I have a feeling that movement of the panniers when under way is not going to be an issue. The panniers have an indent formed into the inside face that fits around the rail. Once loaded , this will tend to prevent the fore and aft movement, which is maybe a couple of inches when unloaded.

Glen

·
Registered
672 Posts
see on a R, last week.
nice product ..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree on the unsightly support brackets; even on my red/silver T120 I think they'd stand out. SW Motech does a set of bags for the ST and now T120; probably only a matter of time for the Thruxton. Best part is the 'rail' is removable... Link http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/TRIUMPH/index.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good spot thanks. I have had Motech stuff before and the quality has always been 1st class. These look like a much better option than the Triumph ones if like me you just need panniers now and again.

From what I can see the rail can take the weight of the panniers so the loop over should not effect the cowl,and the brackets being black will disappear much better into the frame. The inreased storage is also important to me.

I notice on the website a pack for Street Twin/T120/Thruxton is advertised, not sure if that is definitely a 2016 model, but I will e-mail them.

In the mean time I am off up to a local powder coater this morning to get a quote for turning the Triumph rail black, I am afraid that for me there is no way they can be allowed on the bike whilst being chrome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
...The panniers on the Triumph system are entirely supported by the rail whereas the Motech still has a strap going over the seat, or in the case of the Thrux R, the plastic rear cowl.
FYI going by the SW Motech site, it doesn't look like there is a strap going over the seat or cowl.

-Alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it is the Motech 'Blaze' panniers that have the removable rail. I e-mailed them this morning about the availability of a 2016 Thruxton setup. I will keep you informed.

Mean time the quote from my local powder coater was £30 to match the Triumph brackets to the black Thruxton frame, I have no idea if that is good or bad but I said yes and should pick them up next week.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Right, the Blaze setup uses the strap over. I looked at a demo video for it and it's clear there will be some weight bearing on the cowl when the panniers are loaded.
Even if the cowl is able to hold the weight, it will end up scratched up pretty quickly with the strap. Bits of crud always find a way between the strap and the cowl surface and this paint is very easy to damage.
With the Cortech strap over setup, long before the cowl broke it was scratched badly and the decal destroyed just from chafing of a couple thousand miles of use. So for me the Triumph type or the Motech strapless type are preferable to the strap over.
To bad no one makes a strapless type which also uses a quick detachable side carrier. Not yet anyway.

Glen

·
Registered
171 Posts
That type of bag uses the SLC side carrier which is a bolt on unit ( not quick release)
Gotcha. I didn't see the Blaze system listed before. Less bracketry, but it's got the straps. Not bad looking though.

-Alan

·
Registered
116 Posts
So far the Blaze gets my vote since the T120 doesn't have a cowl. But a strapless type with quick detach would be better yet. Keeping looking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am pretty sure that with a cowl sleeve and some stitching on the bags the Blaze can work fine.

As I allready have the Triumph set up either using the Blaze bags with the Triymph top harness, or the Triumph bags on the Blaze rail will work, (good job my better half is a seamstress). Pretty expensive to do it from scratch though unless you can either source the Triumph harness or Blaze rail separately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just heard back from SW-Motech, they are working on Thruxton accessories and estimate that they will be on sale in 3-4 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to all who posted on this thread which has let me weigh up the options. I don't like the Triumph pannier frames which spoil the flow of the bike in my view. Also the SW Motech bags are expandable, the mounting bar comes off leaving the little plastic mount which doesn't look too bad from the photos. Squaredeals UK now list them for the Thruxton so I have ordered those bags for my bike which I pick up on Thursday. Mine is the standard one but I have the optional seat cowl which I can take that off if it looks like the bag strap will scratch it. Expensive for throw over bags but the two vids on them suggest they are good bags and keep their shape on the bike. So thanks again

·
Registered
203 Posts
I ordered a set of these for my Cinder Red T120 and they should arrive this week. Once I have them mounted, will post pix for others to see. My needs for bags are pretty modest and these should fit the bill. We'll see.

George

1 - 20 of 45 Posts