Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new America, but at exactly 66 mph in 4th gear, it sounds like someone holding a piece of aluminum foil out in the breeze. It's a definite rattle, and it is irritating. I've inspected every inch of the bike externally, exhaust, windshield floorboards, drive chain, chain guard, and front end hardware, everything is tight and secure. I think it's possible that the rattle may be coming from the valve train, or somewhere else inside the engine, but not sure.
Engine runs perfectly, and I've learned what to do to keep it running during sudden off idle throttle transitions, but this rattle is making it hard to get used to. Anyone else experience this phenomena? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How many miles are on it? It may seem to run fine but if the valves are out of spec, that could be your noise.
.... otherwise, upshift at 65 MPH ?

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
66mph in 4th gear is around where these engines vibrate the most. Note at what revs this is occurring and then hold the engine at those revs while stationary to see if you can locate what is vibrating.

Engine runs perfectly, and I've learned what to do to keep it running during sudden off idle throttle transitions, but this rattle is making it hard to get used to. Anyone else experience this phenomena? Thanks in advance!
The sudden surge in off idle transitions is down to the tune, many owners have noted this. If you ever want a bit more power and torque out of your America, we can sort this with our Stage 1 Kit and a tune.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
These motors do have a good bit of clatter from the top end. Not having a water jacket to help deaden sound does allow the rider to hear alot of noise that would not be heard with a water cooled motor.
You could use PieMan's suggestion to help determine if it is the motor and/or vibration. If you can not duplicate it when not moving it could be air flow rattling a windscreen mount or broken muffler heat shield weld for example.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts