Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my Tiger out for the second time. Coming out of a valley uphill the motor started to stutter and died. The engine was reluctant to restart. For 20 minutes I attempted to restart. The fuel pump would actuate, the starter motor turned the engine but the bike wouldn't start. I tried flipping the kill switch, turning the engine manually in gear then trying, kick stand up or down. Nothing seemed to work. Then after a long break it started first time. On my way home the engine cut out another 5 times, always when throttling down. Only once did the bike restart straight away and run. On a few occasions it cut out as soon as I put it in gear. Took the tank and airbox off to check the IAC stepper motor and valve only to discover my bike has the enclosed motor which doesn't get dirty. Any ideas what might be going on? Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that will look. I tried the 12 minute tune yesterday but after 10 minutes of idle the engine just stopped dead. Really weird.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
Sounds like the fuel tank is pulling a vacuum. Pop the cap while doing the 15 minute tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the tickover with the fuel cap up and it still died at 15 mins. Was refilled 25 miles ago so definitely has fuel.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
The battery is good? My 15 XCx did some strange stuff with a bad battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the battery was recently replaced. It is a Lithium Ion battery but it is holding charge. Just as well when I broke down the other day. 6 breakdowns in 23 miles so the battery had a good workout! I have booked the bike in at 2 Wheels Edinburgh 10th March so I have until then to figure it out. I have a Datatool cable in the post so we'll see what error codes the ECU has generated. It will also allow me to run various tests including the fan. Not aware that the fan has actuated at any time but it is pretty cold in blighty just now and my TT600 and Street Triple needed 102C in the coolant before switching on. I do have another battery available so I'll try running the 12 minute tune up on a good old lead acid battery just to rule it out. Just take a moment to thank you and all the good people of Triumph Rat. Even though I have just joined you guys have got me out of some scrapes in the past including the dreaded R-R/stator issues on the Street! Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
With my XCx, when the battery was on its way out, it would start the bike perfectly, then the engine would just die out. Then to restart, it would crank over forever, I'd finally have to hold the throttle open and crank and it would finally start. I finally replaced the battery and it never did that again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have just plugged in the Dealer Tool and I am getting the following fault code:
P0335 - Crank Sensor, circuit malfunction
Would this account for the run and stall? I will try the battery swap out too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried a fresh battery and it idled for 16 mins, the fan came on then as soon as the throttle was opened the engine cut out. Anyone have any experience of a crankshaft position sensor failing on a Tiger 800?

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
I guess it could be intermittently losing crank signal? I can't say I've ever heard it mentioned as being a normal problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts