Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I could not find anything here that covers it. Can anyone say why the 2015 (and neighboring years) Street Triple specs state the gas tank capacity is 4.6 gallons? I have NEVER been able to get more than 3.7 gallons in it, and that's nearly running it dry.

I know this because not long after I got it I ran it dry at around 155 miles and it took only 3.x gallons - I don't recall the exact #, but I also wasn't filling it correctly, being the newb I was and filled it while leaning on the kickstand, which allowed just over 3 gallons.

So there's no way the capacity is near 4.6 gals, so I'd like to know why Triumph evidently misstates the tank capacity.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ain't sure this helps but I did trial on how far my Str'13 non abs tank could go on another forum. I would say it depends on your twisting on the throttle and mods that is done on the bike. I estimated around 270-320km with empty tank. My reserve light shows around 220km or 240km. I also did conclude that I could still run eventhough the fuel gauge went empty. But also, when the fuel light came on, I do find it slightly rough to start the bike which took roughly 2 times for the fuel to pump. Anyway, mine's still stock OEM.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=237882

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Street Triple specs state the gas tank capacity is 4.6 gallons? I have NEVER been able to get more than 3.7 gallons in it, and that's nearly running it dry.
I might be wrong, but I believe the fuel pump is taking up your missing capacity in the tank. I had a HD Sportster long ago that the specs said it was a 3.3 gallon tank. I too, unintentionally, ran the tank down to fumes, (no fuel gauge on that sucker). Got into the station and filled it up, but it only took 2.7 gallons. Asked questions later as to why and was told the fuel pump resides in the tank. It would seem that many modern cars do this too. Something to do with creating positive pressure in the fuel lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts