Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I have a 2014 Tiger XC and I have a noise that is coming from the rear wheal area. The noise only happens when there is power being applied. That is, If you pull in the clutch or let off the gas the noise immediately goes away. Also, if you rev the motor with the clutch in, there is no noise.

The noise itself is a kind of groaning sound. It would almost sound like a brake noise, but I don’t think that’s it because I have played with the read brake and cannot reproduce the noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Here’s my thinking:

Pads — eliminated because braking cannot reproduce it.
Chain — possible, since it happens under load from the motor only. I’ll lube and see if the sound goes away.
Bearings – seems unlikely since it only happens under load from the motor.
Loose axel — how would that make noise? I checked and the axel seems pretty secure, too.
Chain guard — check it and seems OK.

Have you guys heard of a chain making a noise like that?

By the way, I just had the bike serviced and got new tires at the dealer. It’s entirely possible that the noise existed before the service because I usually ride with ear plugs and wouldn’t have heard it. I only notice the sound when riding around town at lower speeds (<40 mph).

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Loose axel — how would that make noise? I checked and the axel seems pretty secure, too.
More like a shot in the dark, my thinking was if it was loose enough to allow the wheel to shift it might allow the chain or tire to come in contact with something

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dealer hasn't put the new tyre on backwards have they or dropped an axle spacer on the wheel change? Check the directional arrow on the tyre.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wheel removed, that's your clue. Have the dealer check the work performed. Something wasn't done correctly.

Chico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi to all,

Thanks for your suggestions! I’m going to have the dealer check it out to be sure everythiNg is OK.

As an experiment I lubed the chain really well and rode around some last night and that seems to have helped, but there is still some groaning. I’m going ask them if I need a new chain too. The sprockets aren’t worn (that I can tell) but I bought the bike 2nd hand last year and I suspect the chain is the original one.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
the best way to check the chain is to grab a link at the REAR MOST part of the sprocket. Pull it away from the sprocket and if you see more than a 1/4 of tooth on the sprocket it is worn out. Replace the chain and both sprockets any less is false economy. A worn sprocket will wear out a new chain fast. If you are thinking of changing your gearing this is the time to do it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Does the bike have a center-stand? If so, then might use this to "listen" for groaning during wheel motion. Be careful doing this tho...
Fingers/hair, jewelry can get caught up in stuff that rotates/revolves, and it's NEVER pretty when it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts