Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I just sold my Striple. I realized the speedy had far to much power for me, and I only used 30% of it capabilities.

As is clear from the title, I want to go the bonnie way but having a hard time deciding.
For the record, im 6'2 and about 200 after my morning sh!t. So will be upgrading the rear shocks on any choice right away.

My choices atm are,
T100 from 2014 (4 hour drive to pick it up rest are pretty close but private sellers)
Street twin from 2016
Bonnie SE from 2012
Thruxton 900 from 2014

I understand the thrux and the t100 are similar besides the ergos (thrux fits me fine as i dont really need to reach, plus id be adding a tracker bar and flat seat) i do like the thruxton looks the best tbh.

But how does the street twin compare in terms of power and "go"?

And how does do the ergos of the street twin compare to the T100 with my above average sized frame?

Unfortunately there are no 2018 streets within my budget, so id be buying a 2016 model.

I understand the bonneville SE is probably the least favorite option, but financially the cheapest option. (Not many used bikes where i live, so these are my actual options).

Also, is the SE really that much smaller than rhe T100 in ergo's?

Please help me decide :D

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The T100 and the SE have the same basic frame so the on-bike ergos are similar. The SE wheels are smaller so the seat height is lower and handles a little sharper plus the stock SE seat has less padding to lower the seat height even further. At 6'2'' you still shouldn't look too much like a Shriner on a SE. I have a T100 and like spoke wheels so I am a little biased. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’d go for the thruxton, I’m still looking for a bargain!
But if you are going to be changing bars, seat etc... it doesn’t matter as it won’t look like a thruxton anymore. Just get the best one, mileage, service history and condition - then customise it👍🏻

·
Registered
912 Posts
Also, is the SE really that much smaller than rhe T100 in ergo's?

Please help me decide :D

Ok, I'll bite... and throw in my 2 cents here... but I'll tell you my bias first... I have had an '02 Bonnie, wrecked and replaced with an '03 T100... 150k+ miles between them... I like the carb'd air cooled Bonnies, they respond to (reasonably) cheap and easy engine mods that really "brings out the performance potential" of the engine... and while not a road burner, per se, it really adds to the engine character and personality of the bike...

So here goes... I rode a street twin when they first came out... good looking and rode fine... but the 270 degree crank, single throttle body and wide ratio gearbox gives it all the personality of a dead wet taco... gets down the road fine... but if you didn't know the name on the tank, it could be just about any low powered middleweight motorcycle... To me, even the 1200 cc water cooled Triumph suffer the same affliction... No defining engine character.... The Street Twin would be among my last choice in a motorcycle... Triumph or not... Oh, and it is definitely sized for small to "average" sized folks. If you're over 5' 10", I'd look elsewhere...

The Bonnie SE... aesthetically, is an abomination to me.. again, sized for the small to "average" sized folks.... the 17" front wheel looks dinky... and it's a phooking mag... the "pregnant guppy" EFI fuel tank, which sucks on any of the "Bonnies"... really sticks out like a sore thumb... along with the way too large Thruxton styled exhaust... To me, it's the Platypus of Triumph.... just wrong...

You really can't go wrong with either the T100 (very relaxed riding position) or the Thruxton...

If you want to really catch a bargain... look for a clean, well maintained 2001 to 2007 version of either (2004 up on the Thruxton)... they're bullet proof... I wouldn't be scared to buy one that had up 40k miles on it... dead simple to work on and a blast to mod and personalize to make it your own and fit you like a glove...
I hope that helps...

Added: I checked out Cycletrader and found this one. If I was in the market for a Bonnie, I'd jump all over it... an early 2001 with the "criss cross" oil lines... that's means the hottest cams of the air cooled line... 12.7K miles... basically broken in... chrome engine cases, tach kit and the grab rail as accessories... listed at $4,295/make offer... get it anywhere from $3,500 to $4k... well bought then...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d go for the thruxton, I’m still looking for a bargain!
But if you are going to be changing bars, seat etc... it doesn’t matter as it won’t look like a thruxton anymore. Just get the best one, mileage, service history and condition - then customise it
Ive seen some decent conversions. But i like the footpeg position as they are a bit further back.
On my speedy i had a rearset also, and it made the whole bike feel bigger.

Ill be riding it stock for a while first tho! Such a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The T100 and the SE have the same basic frame so the on-bike ergos are similar. The SE wheels are smaller so the seat height is lower and handles a little sharper plus the stock SE seat has less padding to lower the seat height even further. At 6'2'' you still shouldn't look too much like a Shriner on a SE. I have a T100 and like spoke wheels so I am a little biased. ;)
I like spokes too, hence the SE is lowest on my list. But coming in at 1k less it really doesnt matter that much, as i noticed thats about what a set of spokes cost.

Btw, do t100 wheels fit a SE right away? Than we might just be there with an extra set of spokes with knobbies for the SE.. bar would be swapped to a tracker bar anyways on both options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @SCbonneville for the write-up.
The mean reason for the street being on the list is the additional tech (abs, tcs). Personally i like the SE better in tooks department than the street, but always imagined the SE being even smaller than the Street.

My preference deffinetly goes to the T100 and Thrux, but have actually steered away from carbs.

I live in Scandinavia and not only do we have very variable weather, we also store our bikes for 5 months per year due to the weather.
Ive had a carbed bike once, and every spring I had to remove the carbs, clean them, and balance them.

Now this was a Honda CBR900 so the tollerances etc mightve been much tighter than on a bonnie?

That said, i do like the idea of pushing performance with small mods.

How do you guys feel in general about the carbed option? Does weather has a lot of impact on how the bikes run?

I must say you made it more difficult, because you just added a 2008 carbed scrambler to my list..

That listing looks mint, but im in Europe, so might be a far fetch to pick it up :D

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm in Eastern Canada, wish I stored my 'bike for only 5 months :) I only use high test, it doesn't have ethanol crap in it. Fill the tank, add fuel stabilizer, turn off the gas and run the carbs dry. Starts OK 6 months later, has done for over 10 years.
Spoke wheels are NOT a straight swap for a SE. Forks are different, fender too low etc.

Reactions: SCbonneville

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
FWIW - I’ve owned an A/C T100 and currently own an SE. IMO the SE handles far better than the T100. That’s certainly not a scientific finding, just experience from owning both. The SE is a bit more snug. I’m 5’11” and I have a tall seat on my SE to add leg room. Otherwise it’s all stock. I really like the SE. It’s a simple bike that’s fun to ride, nothing special about, it just works. I also like it’s looks better than the T100.
My wife has a Street Twin. It’s more refined than the SE. it has ABS and traction control. But it too is snug for me and I haven’t found a seat that adds height like my SE. ST is a good bike, but I’d chose my SE.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll go counter to the group here and say the SE is the one to get. I mean, you're going to change the seat, bars and exhaust anyway, right? Plus rear shocks? My SE with a Burton seat, thruxton length shocks, renthals and sporty rubber fits my 6 foot 195 lb frame perfectly and handles great. Mags are lighter especially when you consider tubeless tires and far better choices in tires for 17". Ergos are always going to be adjusted for anyone over 5'9" so don't let that make the difference for you. BTW riding an SE and thruxton back to back made it very clear how much better the geometry of the SE was. No question. If you want rearsets get thruxton, if you must have that 60s spokes look get the T100. Otherwise SE all the way. IMHO.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks @SCbonneville for the write-up.
The mean reason for the street being on the list is the additional tech (abs, tcs). Personally i like the SE better in tooks department than the street, but always imagined the SE being even smaller than the Street.

My preference deffinetly goes to the T100 and Thrux, but have actually steered away from carbs.

I live in Scandinavia and not only do we have very variable weather, we also store our bikes for 5 months per year due to the weather.
Ive had a carbed bike once, and every spring I had to remove the carbs, clean them, and balance them.

Now this was a Honda CBR900 so the tollerances etc mightve been much tighter than on a bonnie?

That said, i do like the idea of pushing performance with small mods.

How do you guys feel in general about the carbed option? Does weather has a lot of impact on how the bikes run?

I must say you made it more difficult, because you just added a 2008 carbed scrambler to my list..

That listing looks mint, but im in Europe, so might be a far fetch to pick it up :D

Thanks for the reply!

I second what 6T said about dealing with "laying up" a carb'd Bonnie for the Winter... I'll even add that with the state of gasoline these days, I routinely run my carbs dry (I know my petcock turn off points heading to the house.) if I know I'm not going to be riding for for the next week or more... Don't know if you guys can get the stuff... but Chevron (a US gas company) makes a carb/efi fuel treatment called Techtron. BMW relabels it as their own and resells it. They recently added a "Powersports" version that adds a stabilizer to it... Claims two year stability... works a treat... NEVER had a problem...

I once took two T100's to the Charleston SC port for shipping to Sweden, for an internet buddy located there... the guys handle was Jojje and he had a turbo Bonnie that he drag raced... He said that there was a work around for the tariffs there that made it cheaper to buy them in the US and ship them over, than to buy locally... With shipping costs these days... I doubt that that would be the case...

I hear you on the ABS thing... but I'm blissfully ignorant... I've never owned an ABS bike... I am a committed KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) guy... and the carb'd Bonnies are absolutely that... dead easy (if you know which end of a screwdriver to hold) to work on... and if you do need to go the servicing route, probably the easiest and cheapest bike to work on... I've done multiple long (5k+ mile) trips on mine. I carry a spare ignitor, coil and crank trigger sensor... that's a complete ignition system rebuild capability... I do that because they're Triumph specific parts (and not found on every street corner....) and I can be easily back on the road in no time... I've only ever had to change a coil out... No fuel pumps (I've "rescued" a few friends that have had failures), ECU's or sensors to go whacko...

For suspension upgrades.... for a T100, move the fork tubes up 10 to 15mm in the trees. That will sharpen up the steering a good bit... Matris makes a killer fork cartridge conversion kit that's the cat's meow... get a good set of rear shock... and you're set. Tire choice also plays into handling. I like the Michelin Pilot Activ's for a bias ply choice and the Bridgestone Battlax T31 evo's for a radial choice, though they don't get anywhere near the miles of the Michelin's... and yes, you can put a 150/70/17 on the rear... and it handles just fine...

hey... what ever route you go.... have fun and remember... "It's ALWAYS more fun to ride a slow bike fast... than to ride a fast bike slow..."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@6t I try to be optimistic, closer to 7 months to be fair

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Mr72 yea rear shocks too, I read good stuff about progressive rear shocks which dont seem to expensive. I plan on doing the occasional 2up so why not have a nicer set of shocks. I will do the fronts to, but only later on, when the bow gets serviced.
I do like the SE too (better than the street twin which i feel resembles it most close in looks)
I hear you on the lighter weight for the mag wheels, but im planning on semi knobbies on either model.. (even the thrux, sue me).
I was hoping the the SE would loose traction like the street twin does, but everyone does seem to love their own choces and bikes (which is great of course!) But that doesnt make it any eassier
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey... what ever route you go.... have fun and remember... "It's ALWAYS more fun to ride a slow bike fast... than to ride a fast bike slow..."
Haha yea thats the main reason for selling the speedy. It was just to bloody fast.
ABS is a nice to have tho, but not necessary imo

You put carbs on my mind, and now im also open to the idea of a 2008 carb scrambler.

Hmm too many choices. Once I manage to choose, ill update :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@triumph900 thanks!
Interesting you find the street smaller than the SE. I wouldve guessed either the same, or the street to feel bigger.

What about power/speed. Which one "feels" faster in day to day riding?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you rev above 5k rpm routinely, the SE will feel faster and actually is faster. It has more power and weighs just about the same.

The SE does not feel smaller than a Street Twin, quite the opposite. But bars with less pullback helps a ton. Renthal Steet Fighter Lo for me. Also a Burton DS03 seat looks great and adds about 2" of legroom.

BTW I have Progressive 412s and they are just fine. Also went to progressive fork springs, easy swap, work great. Now, I can't agree with your tire choice idea but I guess not everyone can be as cool as me :) you actually will have a harder time finding tires for the 17" front than you would on a T100 or Scrambler with 19". 17" better for sporty rubber, 19" better for dirt.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I got a 2013 Bonneville (mag wheels) in January this year and absolutely love it. I have put progressive fork springs in the and just changed the rear suspension with a pair of Hagon 2810 which were built to accommodate my body weight. Both of these have vastly improved the handling and smoothness of the bike. I have done a few other mods, mostly aesthetic. Next mod will be a 2-into-1 exhaust (once they are back in stock at Tec Bike Parts).

I can't comment on the Street Twin or T100 as I have never ridden either. But all I can say is I look forward every day to riding my Bonneville (her name is Penny). So comfy. So much fun on the streets of London. And heading out of London to visit my family in my home town is something I find more and more reasons to do now, rather than avoid.

Reactions: De_Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
@triumph900 thanks!
Interesting you find the street smaller than the SE. I wouldve guessed either the same, or the street to feel bigger.

What about power/speed. Which one "feels" faster in day to day riding?

It feels tighter I think because of the taller seat on my SE. I will say this, the foot pegs on the SE are in an awkward position. That’s always been a complaint of mine about it. ST pegs are in a better position. In terms of “faster”, IMO the SE feels a bit faster. The ST has a bit more torque I think, and it comes on earlier. But the SE has more HP overall. Again, both are fine bikes. The ST is more refined but I like my SE. As a plus, I can grab a ride on my wife’s ST once in a while!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and weigh 194 (dropped 35 pounds since November, yeah!) and my 2014 T100 fits me just fine. I've had bigger bikes ('91 Goldwing 1500); I like how I can throw this one around. I ride 8-9 months of the year (only don't ride when there's ice on the roads here in Minnesota). I don't winterize my EFI bike; I just start it every couple of weeks in the winter and ride it up and down the (very short) driveway. My garage is insulated and tucked under my house, so that helps the ethanol-laced fuel behave. Key is to not let it get old. I'm biased about your list; 2014 T100 all the way. You will love whatever you get, I'm sure. Have fun shopping!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts